The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 03:50pm
We don't rent pigs

Interesting coaching philosophy

Called some games at a local private school this week in a fill-in capacity. The coach was a young guy in his first year. In the freshman girls game he had a big strong girl in the post. At one point she set up on the side of the lane calling for the ball and proceeded to back in and just shoved her opponent across the lane.
Partner called the obvious foul. Coach was right behind me: "What?? She was just posting up! She can post up! Good job (whoever)!" A little while later I was stopped in front of him. He pointed back toward the previous play. "What's the deal? She's allowed to post up, isn't she." "She's allowed to post up, coach, but she's not allowed to make like a bulldozer. Displacement is the key."
He seemed unimpressed. Later, in the varsity game, a shot went up and a girl took her forearm and cleared her opponent totally out of the play. She honestly looked like pulling guard on a power sweep. I called the foul. She looked totally mystified. She said softly, to no one in particular, "I was just blocking out." Coach echoed her sentiment. "She was just blocking out. She's allowed to block out. Good job, girl! Do that again!"

Apparently this guy teaches that each player is entitled to a spot on the floor, and if somebody else has yours, do whatever is necessary to take it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Apparently this guy teaches that each player is entitled to a spot on the floor, and if somebody else has yours, do whatever is necessary to take it.
He's forgetting the second phrase in that little ditty, "... as long as she gets there first."
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 03:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
He's forgetting the second phrase in that little ditty, "... as long as she gets there first."
But, luckily, I remembered it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 04:02pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Are you sure it wasn't the football coach disguised as a girls' basketball coach?
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 04:24pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Are you sure it wasn't the football coach disguised as a girls' basketball coach?
Small school. He probably coaches football, too. He has varsity boys and girls basketball and freshmen girls.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 08:50am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
He's forgetting the second phrase in that little ditty, "... as long as she gets there first legally."
Fixed it for ya.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 09:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Called some games at a local private school this week in a fill-in capacity. The coach was a young guy in his first year. In the freshman girls game he had a big strong girl in the post. At one point she set up on the side of the lane calling for the ball and proceeded to back in and just shoved her opponent across the lane.
Partner called the obvious foul. Coach was right behind me: "What?? She was just posting up! She can post up! Good job (whoever)!" A little while later I was stopped in front of him. He pointed back toward the previous play. "What's the deal? She's allowed to post up, isn't she." "She's allowed to post up, coach, but she's not allowed to make like a bulldozer. Displacement is the key."
He seemed unimpressed. Later, in the varsity game, a shot went up and a girl took her forearm and cleared her opponent totally out of the play. She honestly looked like pulling guard on a power sweep. I called the foul. She looked totally mystified. She said softly, to no one in particular, "I was just blocking out." Coach echoed her sentiment. "She was just blocking out. She's allowed to block out. Good job, girl! Do that again!"

You can't fix stupid.