The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Jumpstop clarification

9th grade boys last night. A1 makes a jumpstop, lands on both feet simulataneously, realizes he cant shoot over the defender, comes up with left foot (right still on floor), leans to his right and passes to his teammate. Opposing coach screams that he cant pivot on a jumpstop. I agree. However that is not what happened imo. Isnt the player allowed to lift either or both feet after the jump stop and must release the ball before either or both feet return? This was not a violation correct, as I did not call it a violation?
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
9th grade boys last night. A1 makes a jumpstop, lands on both feet simulataneously, realizes he cant shoot over the defender, comes up with left foot (right still on floor), leans to his right and passes to his teammate. Opposing coach screams that he cant pivot on a jumpstop. I agree. However that is not what happened imo. Isnt the player allowed to lift either or both feet after the jump stop and must release the ball before either or both feet return? This was not a violation correct, as I did not call it a violation?
he didn't "pivot" (step twice with the same foot). you got it right, this is not a violation as long as his left foot didn't return to the floor...there is a good refresher article in the latest official's quarterly re: the different aspects of traveling...
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

It does not sound like a travel to me, because he passed the ball rather than starting a dribble.

Section 44 Traveling
Article 4... After coming to a stop when neither foot can be a pivot: (jump stop)
a.One or both feet may be lifted, but may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or a try for a goal.
b.Neither foot what may be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

thanks guys... the coach had me doubting myself in my head. but he never asked us about it directly.