The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Frontcourt Sideline Throw-In Admin

I'm the lead...the ball goes out on my sideline EXTREMELY close to the endline. Do I switch to become the new trail and my partner becomes the new lead? The official's handbook states in 2.2 D that the throw-in is administered by the official responsible for the boundary line. So...we switch. I just have had MANY partners not be willing to switch in this situation. Do I force the switch or just go with the flow?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

2-man mechanics?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Yes...sorry...2-man mechanics. That's all we use in Michigan until the state tournament...so I assumed.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Usually you would use what we call the bump and run. You would not switch like you called a foul on a simple out of bounds play. The New Trail would take out any ball that was in the back court and bump or force the New Lead to the other end of the court. That is usually how it is done in many parts.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

JRut...you'd be right if we were transitioning...However, I'm talking about the ball off of the defense in the offensive frontcourt in the position as described above. No transition here. I agree with the "bump & run" call for sure.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
I'm the lead...the ball goes out on my sideline EXTREMELY close to the endline. Do I switch to become the new trail and my partner becomes the new lead? The official's handbook states in 2.2 D that the throw-in is administered by the official responsible for the boundary line. So...we switch. I just have had MANY partners not be willing to switch in this situation. Do I force the switch or just go with the flow?
In this situation, I would not switch, just administer the throw-in from the lead position when it goes out below the FT line extended. Now if it goes out above the freethrow line then you would switch and become the trail. Pretty sure that's what the mechanics manual says (I will admit I'm not 100% sure though).
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
In this situation, I would not switch, just administer the throw-in from the lead position when it goes out below the FT line extended. Now if it goes out above the freethrow line then you would switch and become the trail. Pretty sure that's what the mechanics manual says (I will admit I'm not 100% sure though).
If you follow pure NF Mechanics, any throw-in below the FT line extended is administered by the lead unless that has changed recently (my state does not use pure NF mechanics). Then again, your area might not teach this mechanic and that can affect what people might do or might not do.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If you follow pure NF Mechanics, any throw-in below the FT line extended is administered by the lead unless that has changed recently (my state does not use pure NF mechanics). Then again, your area might not teach this mechanic and that can affect what people might do or might not do.

Peace
Can you give me the case in the Official's Manual?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I do not own one (or the current one). I am just telling you from what I remember and what we used to do. I hardly work enough 2 Person as it is.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Isn't that what I said?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
In this situation, I would not switch, just administer the throw-in from the lead position when it goes out below the FT line extended.
If this was your statement, then no I did not say what you said.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:51am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Lead stays at lead and administers from endline with a bounce. If designated spot is above free-throw line extended, old lead switches up to new trail on that sideline and administers with (usually) a bounce. I see a lot of trails who are (probably) not aware of this Fed mechanic and immediately run across the court to take this throw-in. (And in my association, we use Fed mechanics.)
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Lead stays at lead and administers from endline with a bounce. If designated spot is above free-throw line extended, old lead switches up to new trail on that sideline and administers with (usually) a bounce. I see a lot of trails who are (probably) not aware of this Fed mechanic and immediately run across the court to take this throw-in. (And in my association, we use Fed mechanics.)
Quote:
The 2005-07 officials manual detailed this sideline switch in diagram 24 on page 35 and stated that it was the only non-foul situation in which the officials forced a dead ball switch. The new officials manual for 2007-09 does not provide the same language, but does have the same picture on page 22 now labeled as diagram 2-10.

As the others have said the key is whether the ball goes out above or below the FT line extended. If below, the Lead stays on his end line and bounces the ball to the thrower while the Trail stays where he was. If above, the Lead will move out to the sideline and become the Trail and administer from there and the Trail must step down to the end line and become the Lead.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

I've never really thought about this before, but if the throw-in is below the FT line on the trail's side (2 person), should the T administer this? Or should the L rotate across and take it?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I've never really thought about this before, but if the throw-in is below the FT line on the trail's side (2 person), should the T administer this? Or should the L rotate across and take it?

In this situation, Trail administer the throw-in. The only time the lead administer the throw-in is when the ball goes oob on the lead side below the FT line.