The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Free throw admin screw up........

Here's the situation...Visiting team make a layup and gets fouled setting up a potential 3 point play. Home team calls Timeout. My parter and I identify the shooter so we can have the correct one coming out of TO. Partner is underneath administering FT attempt. I step in and give him a "1 finger sign" to make sure he knows it's one shot. After I do this. The PG for the Home team asks me a question. I then see my partner standing right beside a player on the lane signifying to me that he probably thinks it's 2 shots. The kid is getting ready to shoot so I don't want to interfere with his shot. I just pray he makes it. Well,he misses it and one of his players picks it up and tries to put it back in. I blow the whistle since I know it is one shot.My partner,the veteran above me,says we have an inadvertent whistle so we go to the arrow. He does it half heartedly so he wasn't too sure of himself. Was that the right thing to do?The arrow was in the visiting teams favor which obviously didn't sit well with the home crowd.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a bit confused - did your partner tell them it was 1 shot or 2? Did the players play like it was 2, or just 1? Or did some play and some not?
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's not an IW, it's a correctable error.
It's only an IW if all the players attempted to get the rebound, in which case your partner was wrong to go with the arrow. IW goes to the team in control, if there is one.
If it's correctable error, you'd go to the arrow (assuming only a couple of players were attempting to rebound.)
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
I'm a bit confused - did your partner tell them it was 1 shot or 2? Did the players play like it was 2, or just 1? Or did some play and some not?
He told the players it was 2 when he should have said 1.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimp8
He told the players it was 2 when he should have said 1.
How many of them played the rebound?
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

OFFICIALS PROVIDE ERRONEOUS INFORMATION
8.6.1 SITUATION: A1 is about to attempt the first of a one-and-one free-throw situation. The administering official steps in and erroneously informs players that two shots will be taken. A1's first attempt is unsuccessful. The missed shot is rebounded by: (a) B1, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; (b) A2, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; or (c) B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound. The officials recognize their error at this point. RULING: In (a) and (b), the official's error clearly put one team at a disadvantage (players stood motionless and didn't attempt to rebound). Play should be whistled dead immediately and resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (c), both teams made an attempt to rebound despite the official's error and had an equal opportunity to gain possession of the rebound. Play should continue.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimp8
Home team calls Timeout.

Sigh.....they never learn.

Apparently, my work here isn't done.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
It's not an IW, it's a correctable error.
How is this a correctable error?
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker

I believe Snaqwell was in a rush. Indianaref cited the case play
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
I believe Snaqwell was in a rush. Indianaref cited the case play
Right, it's a fixable mistake, but not a correctable error.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Would this fall under 2-10-1 b. Awarding an unmerited free throw? My reading of that has always been that it is corrected after the unmerited free throw has been shot, but can we also apply it if the error is corrected prior to the free throw being shot?
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Would this fall under 2-10-1 b. Awarding an unmerited free throw? My reading of that has always been that it is corrected after the unmerited free throw has been shot, but can we also apply it if the error is corrected prior to the free throw being shot?
An unmerited free throw wasn't awarded, it was announced.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I consider it a CE, as jdw points out, for awarding an unmerited free throw. Even though the shot was not actually taken, that's in essence what happened. What other rule are you going to use? If you use IW, then you have to give the ball to the kid who catches it.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I consider it a CE, as jdw points out, for awarding an unmerited free throw. Even though the shot was not actually taken, that's in essence what happened. What other rule are you going to use? If you use IW, then you have to give the ball to the kid who catches it.
I could be wrong here, but I don't think this is a correctable error. The FT wasn't awarded. Did you look at the citation IndianaRef gave? Looks applicable to me.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You have to be careful calling it a CE though because then are you going to apply the CE rues for correcting it? What if you don't get it right away, but during the next dead ball you think "you know what, the other kids didn't really go for that rebound", are you going to go back and fix it then and cancel all activity, etc, etc??? Just think of it as a unique case with a unique provision for fixing it.....CE's are specific situations with specific methods for correcting.....