The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 02:50pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Early season fun stuff

I was just checking out d3hoops.com and here's the first couple paragraphs on the front page:

Quote:
The gym was packed, not for Duke-North Carolina, but for Division III's version of an in-state showdown, and Greensboro rewarded its home fans with a 71-66 upset of crosstown No. 3 Guilford on Wednesday night.

That wasn't the only big win over a top-five team. Unbeaten UW-La Crosse won at No. 4 Augustana, 66-64. A potential game-winning 3-pointer for Augustana was waved off by an offensive foul call with one second remaining. Tony Mane and T.J. Nereng combined for 42 points in the win. More men's scores on the Scoreboard.
Ok, I know preseason polls don't mean much, but 2 upsets in the Top 5 in less than 2 weeks seems pretty fun.

And how about waving off a winning 3-pointer for "an offensive foul" at the buzzer? It doesn't say if the foul was PC on the shooter or a bad screen or what. Sure would like to see that game tape!
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I was just checking out d3hoops.com and here's the first couple paragraphs on the front page:

Ok, I know preseason polls don't mean much, but 2 upsets in the Top 5 in less than 2 weeks seems pretty fun.

And how about waving off a winning 3-pointer for "an offensive foul" at the buzzer? It doesn't say if the foul was PC on the shooter or a bad screen or what. Sure would like to see that game tape!
The step back push off by the shooter?
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

per others that were at the game, the foul was on the shooter for pushing off w/ his free arm just prior to shooting the ball.....
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

That sounds right. I coached a game once where an opposing player attempted 20 threes. She was a pretty good shooter, but they had a solid PG and a big girl we were collapsing on, so we had to give up some looks. Fortunately, she was 4-for-20!

Anyway, last 30 seconds or so, we are up by five. She dribbles into the corner, shoves the defender back and drills a three. It was waved off for the push-off offensive foul, and we went on to win by eight.