The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Handle with care

I have been doing basketball a long time. Yesterday, I did my first junior high game in years, and had a good time doing it. But, here was my problem....I am 39. My parter was probably at least mid-50s, probably early 60s. He was telling me about all his contests--college, high school, this and that--maybe thinking I am new or just starting. Who knows?

Anyhow, he must have made about 6 calls in my area, and a few right in front of me (when he was lead, he was making calls well above the top of the circle). Of course the obvious question is, "who is watching the kids under the basket"?, but my real question is, what would you say is the best way to handle that situation. I still respect my elders (even though I am becoming one of them), but what is the polite way to tell a know-it-all to stay in his area? A few calls usually don't bother me, but after awhile it gets kind of old. Suggestions?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Politely ask him, during a break (TO or intermission), if he trusts you.
His response is likely to be "yeah, why?"
There's your opening.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

I probably would not say a word. Just let it ride. I would let maybe him in on the fact of what I have done. I would be very subtle in that last statement.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

give him a warning, and if he gives you any lip, eject him.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

I had it happen to me the other night. 2 person crew and I'm administering the ball for a throw in. My partner who's at about half court calls a delay for a defensive player stepping over the endline. I was literally 1 foot away. No way in hell my partner saw this.

But, I'm in my 3rd year officiating and he's in his 30th. Decorated official, state finals patches, prominent in the the local association, ect....& semi retired.

I let it go but even the coaches were like what the hell.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Not that it's the best way, and it isn't the right thing to do, but...after he's called in front of you, and most likely got it wrong, the next trip down the floor kick one for the other team smack in front of him.

Hopefully he'll then bring it up and then you can say, "Well since you have done it 6 times to me, I figured that was how we were doing it tonight."
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

me: "how many years have you been officiating?"
him: "25+ years" (or whatever)
me: "so with 25+ years of experience, why do you feel the need to make 6 calls way out of your area right in front of me?"
him: "well...I...er....."
me: "I appreciate you trying to help. I've worked 10+ years (or whatever the # is) and know that if you stay in your area and I work my area, we'll have a good game."

From experience, I'm sure you realize that if you don't say anything to your partner, he will continue to call fouls out of his area and cause problems for you......You gotta say something to him - the problem will not go away by itself.