Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

"Princess" works nicely too.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

IMO the use of names is a quality game management and communication tool.
I have used their names since I started officiating. I've had success with it. I've also had numerous people tell me that I shouldn't. However, there is one person who shaped my philosophy on this and another recent speaker who confirmed my belief.
The original was soccer referee Bob Evans. He was an international level referee. His advice is to learn the names of as many players on the field as possible during the match and use them. He also let the players call him by name as long as proper respect was accorded.
After meeting him and listening to a couple of his talks early in my officiating days, I took it upon myself to do the same. It has worked very well for me. I have been seen as a players' referee. I let the players call me by my first name too. Many do. Even a team from Vegas in this year's state tournament did it. I memorized the captains' names at the coin toss (and also most of the roster before the game) and told them mine and that they could call me by my first name on the field. They responded very well to it and it broke the ice with a team that I had never seen before. I think that it made them feel a lot more comfortable playing 500 miles from home against a local opponent.

The confirmation came just a couple of weeks ago when one of the NBA group supervisors came to my HS association and gave a presentation. He also recommended using the first names of the players and coaches. He stated that it helped the line of communcation as well as responding skills. He also noted that the asst coaches of today are tomorrow's head coaches. Something else to consider as we have some folks on this forum and in my local assn who don't believe in communicating with asst coaches.

For those who have never tried it or are a bit uncomfortable with it, I would ask that you give it a shot for a couple of months and see what it does for your game. If it brings you success, keep it. If not, then let it go.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 09:57pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
There are two local schools [I live in a very rural area] and I know the coaches of all the teams well enough to call them by their first names. One school is 2 divisions higher than the other. So, the only time they face each other is in pre-season scrimmages. And that is the only time I refer to them by their first names. There are a handful of other coaches I know well enough to address them by the first name, but unless I know them both well, I always call them 'coach'.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Many (or most) coaches are paranoid. Even though I know most of the HS coaches, there is some turnover. I'm afraid that I would call one of them by their name and not remember the other one. If you don't think they notice stuff like that, you are wrong. Many of them are constantly looking for a reason to justify their paranoia towards officials.

At the college level, I sometimes have never met a coach before. I don't trust my ability to remember that coaches name all the time. So one thing that I know will work for me every single time is to just call them all "coach."
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Many (or most) coaches are paranoid. Even though I know most of the HS coaches, there is some turnover. I'm afraid that I would call one of them by their name and not remember the other one. If you don't think they notice stuff like that, you are wrong. Many of them are constantly looking for a reason to justify their paranoia towards officials.

At the college level, I sometimes have never met a coach before. I don't trust my ability to remember that coaches name all the time. So one thing that I know will work for me every single time is to just call them all "coach."
You make a good point. If someone is not good with names, then this isn't going to be a good tool for that person and they should stick with the basics. However, if you are good with names, then this has been known to generate a positive response.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 07:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
IMO the use of names is a quality game management and communication tool.
I have used their names since I started officiating. I've had success with it. I've also had numerous people tell me that I shouldn't. However, there is one person who shaped my philosophy on this and another recent speaker who confirmed my belief.
The original was soccer referee Bob Evans. He was an international level referee. His advice is to learn the names of as many players on the field as possible during the match and use them. He also let the players call him by name as long as proper respect was accorded.
After meeting him and listening to a couple of his talks early in my officiating days, I took it upon myself to do the same. It has worked very well for me. I have been seen as a players' referee. I let the players call me by my first name too. Many do. Even a team from Vegas in this year's state tournament did it. I memorized the captains' names at the coin toss (and also most of the roster before the game) and told them mine and that they could call me by my first name on the field. They responded very well to it and it broke the ice with a team that I had never seen before. I think that it made them feel a lot more comfortable playing 500 miles from home against a local opponent.

The confirmation came just a couple of weeks ago when one of the NBA group supervisors came to my HS association and gave a presentation. He also recommended using the first names of the players and coaches. He stated that it helped the line of communcation as well as responding skills. He also noted that the asst coaches of today are tomorrow's head coaches. Something else to consider as we have some folks on this forum and in my local assn who don't believe in communicating with asst coaches.

For those who have never tried it or are a bit uncomfortable with it, I would ask that you give it a shot for a couple of months and see what it does for your game. If it brings you success, keep it. If not, then let it go.
I use the coaches first names in all 3 sports I work at any level from Little League/Youth up through college. I learn their names (either I get the names from players or look them up on the Internet before heading to the games). I encourage the coaches to use my first name to get my attention, but many are not shy about calling me by name.

I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. I consider it a lack of respect to call a coach "Coach" -- it's almost like I haven't bothered to learn/remember his name.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman

1) I've got other things to worry about than stew over why you called me "coach" and the other coach "Mike" during the course of a game. You must have a lot of paranoid coaches in your area, I don't see it.

2) It will NOT be noticed/dwelled on/remembered during the heat of a contest if you called me by my name or called me "coach".

3) I know about 90% of the officials that do our home games by at least first name. The best officiated games are when I have to look in the book after the game to remember who called them.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 08:25am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I always call the coaches "coach" as not to show any favoritism - no matter how long I have known them. This mostly comes into play in my REC Leagues where I have coached, know the same folks coach annually, and see the teams more than just a few times a yr - as was stated here previously. I haven't reffed long enough at the HS level yet to consider this.

But, having coached and reffed many of the kids in REC for so many yrs, I do find it advantageous to use the first names with the players I know....i.e. "Sean, don't hold" or "Watch the hand check Aaron" or "Get out of there Kevin."

Good discussion. I'll see how I use this in the future.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Before and after the game I will used the name of the coach if I know it. During the game they are "Coach." That is it.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Interesting discussion. I use their first names at times, but basketball is so fast for the most part, I don't process and use names all the time. I also work baseball and football. Especially in baseball, I find it easier to remember and use a coach's first name, in fact, my crew pretty much requires it in baseball. I find the coach/official relationship interesting in how it varies from sport to sport.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Two additional thoughts:
1. Many kids don't respond to their number being called. "Hey, 12, blah blah blah." May just get ignored. A lot of these kids change numbers each year or aren't that focused on what number they are wearing. Some teams even have different numbers for home and away jerseys. A quick, "Kevin, calm down," or "Ok, Mike, I'll make sure to watch for that." Really connects with the kids.

2. Every coach in this area knows that I know their names. Most of the players even know it now too. They've remarked on it before games. Prior to the girls state final in soccer I heard, "It's so cool. He knows all of our names." One team thought it was fun to challenge me before a game in warmups to rattle off their names. It was worth a good laugh when I did it. I even had two girls who graduated two years ago at a local school come back for a game, see me there and come and ask me if I still knew their names. Not only did I, but I also told them what numbers they used to wear! So, I'm good at it.
What's my point?
The point is that it makes for a great contrast when I don't use their names. If I turn around and sternly say, "COACH, that's enough." The shock value is quite high and they know not to press the issue any more. Just another example of how this can be used to help control a situation.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 12:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

If I know both coaches names well I will use both their first names. They tend to call us by name so I do not see the big deal. If I only know one of the coach’s names, then I call them both by coach. Most of the time I am not talking that much with the coaches anyway, so it is not much of a concern.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 12:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I always call coaches "Late To Dinner".
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

We discussed the article on the softball board recently as well:

Calling coaches and players by first names

I don't work hoops anymore, but here is my response:

I read the article and have some mixed feelings about the authors points.

I will call a coach by first name, but only if I have a relationship with both coaches involved in the contest. I'm damn sure not going to introduce myself to a coach I don't know with a "Good afternoon, Coach. My name is Andy", and go over to the other coach that I do know with a "Hey, Joe! How are ya?, Good to see you!"

I don't mind being called by name on the field, I guess that is just a personal preference.

As I have started doing more college level ball the last few years, I have noticed that the college coaches seem to like calling the umpires by name. I think they do it for just the reasons the author of the article suggests; they think is establishes a more personal relationship and your calls will go their way more often.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
I tend to refer to the players more by name than the coaches, as I have been around long enough now to have seen a lot of them since they were in grade school. There are some coaches that I know well, and have known them since I coached. I might refer to them by name in a quiet conversation in front of the bench, but if I have to say something in passing, where I know the other coach can hear, I'll refer to them only as coach.