The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 10:01pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
My schedule has been wierd this fall and have had long gaps between games (partly due to having to cancel 2 games to get a clinic in.) Had a JV girls game tonight... big lead for home for a while but V cut it to a two point game with 41 seconds left, but then travelled and then threw away an easy pass. Home won by 4. I didn't have a bad game, in fact I think I was honestly a little better than my partner tonight, but I just can't find my rhythm yet. Also, I could kick myself. With about 4 minutes left I called a hold on 33 blue who is on offense under the basket. Report the foul go to put ball in play and partner signals for a 1 & 1. Rather than remembering it was a TC we shoot the stupid shot. Driving home it hit me that we'd botched it. Thank God she missed the first so it had no effect on the game. Would normally never miss something like this. JV boys this Friday. Maybe I'll find it then.
I hate to bust up the love fest - it is great to be back on the court after having an injury like that. But, I think you should think more about the crew and less about your personal performance; consider how you did together. Look at what I have highlighted above; this doesn't really indicate either of you having a good game (I know you didn't necessarily use the word "good" to describe it). Two officials kicked a rule. The team could have scored on the possession you took away or the other team could have stole the inbound pass and scored. Little Suzie could have scored her first points ever in a game.
I used to have a hard time getting going at the beginning of the season and the beginning of games. I got ripped a new one for it a few times and I constantly try to be the first one with a quality call. This mindset doesn't always mean I will be the first one to call a foul/violation, but it does help me keep from missing something - nothing is 100% though.
Anyway, just keep at it. If you can officiate girls' JV well other games will be easier - they force you to make a lot of decisions all game.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

What injury?
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 08:38am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Geeze, ya scared me there for a minute...25 years old!!

According to wikipedia it's more like 14 years old.
Really?!?! Wow. I would've sworn it was early to mid '80s; but it's really early to mid '90s. I'm such a Cornholio.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMan

Hey, refnrev, dont worry...can't be as bad as my situation. I sat out last season to have hip replacement in October 2006. Just had my first games last night and am slowly getting back to running again. Does anybody know someone who went through this and was able to ref again? I'm in top shape, but am getting up there in age. Jack
Jack, I'm fifty something and have had both hips replaced - one three years ago and one this past February and never missed a season. I only run when working games because of the high impact on the joints, but exercise at least an hour every day on an elliptical with circuit weight training. As you should know from your Doc, running on a hard floor will cause the replacement to wear out sooner and make a revision necessary (for me, the trade off is worth it) but otherwise you shouldn't have any problem, especially if you're in top shape.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runonmt
As you should know from your Doc, running on a hard floor will cause the replacement to wear out sooner and make a revision necessary (for me, the trade off is worth it) but otherwise you shouldn't have any problem, especially if you're in top shape.
FYI for anyone else who may have been told by their doctor to have a hip replaced. Please research the "Birmingham Hip". Much larger surface area, less bone removed to replace the Ball & Socket. More stability, projected much longer "service life". Had my left hip replaced 5/2/07, after rehab I was able to referee my first youth soccer match the third week of August, First college soccer match third week of September. Have a full basketball schedule. If the rest of my joints felt like my BHR I would think I was 21 again.

Last edited by ref2coach; Thu Nov 29, 2007 at 10:46am.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks ref2coach and runonmt for the advice. I'll have to look into what type of hip replacement was done. I work out 4 times a week on treadmill (fast walk) and weights for about an hour.

Tomegun - this is a personal health issue and how I RUN, not how I perform from an officiating standpoint, will decide if I continue on the court. I'm not worried about my officiating.

Jack
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
I wish I still had the knees of a kid!

Don't we all!!!!!! lol

My first scrimmage I felt like a fish out of water for the 1st ten minutes not being on a floor since February. I've had a couple JV games to start the season ( 1 boys and 1 girls) and they both went pretty well.