The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Ref63
I would take any and all talk from coaches and other officials to improve my ability to make the right call.
Gee, I don't want to get involved in all of the other issues....they're way too deep for me.....but from an officiating standpoint, I think that you're making a heckuva mistake if you include coaches as part of your learning process. Their agendas are completely different than ours. The only "right" call that they really care about is a call that will benefit their team. Their knowledge of the rules, mechanics, etc. is generally not good enough to be of any value either.

No good is going to come out of pre-game conversations with coaches, Rev.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Let me be clear in saying that my conversation with this coach prior to the game was purely social. He recognized me and came to chat. During the course of the conversation he mentioned the game in question. I did not and would not ask this coach or any other coach for advice on mechanics or rules interpretation.

My point is, when making a call, such as the 2-10 call we made in that same tournament, I hear what the coach is saying and then go home and make sure that I got the call right. As it turns out, the coach was right and I was wrong in the 2-10 situation. Now I know and will not miss it next time. If I'd of had the attitude, "I don't care what the coach says; I think I'm right" then, I would continue to get 2-10 situations wrong every time.

At the point I am at in my officiating career, I try to take every opportunity to learn something that will make me a better official. If it is a word from a coach, so be it.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 06:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Let me be clear in saying that my conversation with this coach prior to the game was purely social. He recognized me and came to chat.
And let me be just as clear that imo it's just as bad to socialize with a coach before a game. Perception is reality. And the "reality" to anyone watching is that you're just having a good ol' time chatting up your dear friend, the coach.

If you want to socialize, get a room.....a room where nobody can see you.

Note that I'm past the point where I'm saying this for your benefit. You obviously disagree. That's fine with me; that's your right. I'd just like other new officials to think about what the image of an official and a coach socializing publicly before a game looks like to the other team, it's coaching staff, supporters, etc., not to mention your partners. As I said, to them perception is reality.

Btw, my association makes it easy for it's members. We simply inserted in our "Code of Conduct" that thou shall not socialize with anyone before games.

Again, it's jmo. But my opinion is that your pre-game socializing is gonna jump up and bite you in your hassock one day.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Dec 03, 2007 at 06:07pm.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And let me be just as clear that imo it's just as bad to socialize with a coach before a game.
The next time I'm on time for a tournament game and find the schedule behind 45 minutes, and a coach approaches me, I'll pick up my suitcase and run for the dressing room. That would be far more professional.

Quote:
If you want to socialize, get a room.....a room where nobody can see you.
I didn't want to socialize, but obviously the coach did. Do you remember me saying anything about the coach approaching me?

Quote:
Note that I'm past the point where I'm saying this for your benefit. You obviously disagree.
No, actually I don't disagree. Perhaps you should go back and read where I acknowledged that this is not a good practice. That is why I do not make a practice of it.

Quote:
Again, it's jmo. But my opinion is that your pre-game socializing is gonna jump up and bite you in your hassock one day.
Do you blow everything out of proportion like this?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 08:49pm
Administrator

Quote:
The next time I'm on time for a tournament game and find the schedule behind 45 minutes, and a coach approaches me, I'll pick up my suitcase and run for the dressing room. That would be far more professional.

That would be a great big YES. I wouldn't run, but I would say hello and then excuse myself to find the officials' dressing room.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You needn't run, but anything more than about a 30-second conversation should likely be avoided.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am going to have to say something here. I agree that you should not talk to coaches, but that is not always easy in tournament situations. Whether it is when you enter the gym or in the hospitality room, you will come in contact with coaches.

The thing I would recommend that most officials do is to go to a part of the gym that you are not going to be an easy target for someone to approach you. Usually that means sitting high in the stands away from most incoming traffic if you are going to watch an early game or a game after your game. I think being professional as an official is saying basically hi and bye and keeping conversations at a minimum.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Normally, I arrive at and leave the gym with the crew. There is never a problem this way. However, in a tournament setting, the crew may not be able to arrive at the same time. It is good advice to seek an inconspicuous place to wait out of the traffic area.

In this specific instance, I was sitting just outside the dressing room door watching the game.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 05:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Hey, like I've already stated, I could care less what you do. You've made it quite clear that you don't agree with me, or anyone else. That's fine. You want to socialize? Then socialize. Don't put it down as being "professional" though. It's sureasheck isn't imo.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You've made it quite clear that you don't agree with me, or anyone else.
Perhaps when you've learned to comprehend what you read we can continue this discussion.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey, like I've already stated, I could care less what you do.
You do understand, don't you, that this means that you really do care what I do. Did you mean to say, "I couldn't care less what you do?"
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Perhaps when you've learned to comprehend what you read we can continue this discussion.
That's not a very Christian attitude.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
RevRef -- I wish this discussion hadn't gotten so testy. You are a welcome (to me) member of this board, and I hope you won't be chased away. Sometimes Rutledge and sometimes Jurassic can become, well, grouchy. And sometimes either of them can appear to be grouchy by the way the words appear on the screen. You just have to learn to walk away from the discussion by saying.....

wait for it.....

Thank you.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would hope you are as concerned with your personal integrity as I am with mine, regardless of your profession. Did I imply otherwise?
Strongly.

Quote:
...but integrity is a huge part of my profession.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Well, to be honest - no, some of us probably don't have to worry about our integrity as much as others. Some professions are held to a higher standard than others. That's just the way it is...someone questioning my integrity really poses no threat to my real career, but for a Pastor, it can and does.
Sooo...please list the professions that in your opinion do not require a high standard of integrity. Other than politician.