The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsRefJunior
It was a Nike hair control device. Nike "swoosh" and the words "JUST DO IT" repeated about 10 times all the way around.
In that case, good job! I don't care for that company.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
It was a Nike hair control device. Nike "swoosh" and the words "JUST DO IT" repeated about 10 times all the way around.
Illegal as per NFHS rule 3-6. Only one logo is allowed per headband/sweatband.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Illegal as per NFHS rule 3-6. Only one logo is allowed per headband/sweatband.
Nope.

That rule is completely inapplicable. This is NOT a headband or sweatband, rather it is an elastic band to control hair. If it were a headband or sweatband it would also be subject to the color restrictions.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=HoopsRefJunior]Wouldn't the use of prewrap for a hair control device be the utilization of equipment in a manner other than its intended purpose?

If so, that would make it illegal.

Hoops, Don't go there with pre-wrap. Let them wear it. There are too many more important things in a game to worry about than that.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 01:07am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Wouldn't the use of prewrap for a hair control device be the utilization of equipment in a manner other than its intended purpose?

If so, that would make it illegal.
--Unless your state association deems it legal - and I'd bet a game check or two that you wouldn't be able to find one that says it isn't.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:00am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Regarding color of hairbands:

2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 8: Three team members from Team A have multi-colored, narrow elastic bands (not moisture-absorbing headbands) around their heads for hair-control purposes. RULING: Legal. There are no color or size restrictions for elastic hair-control bands. (3-5-3d)

Regarding prewrap:
I cannot recall anything from the NFHS specifically addressing the use of prewrap to control hair in basketball. NFHS soccer rules state that it is allowed as long as it is NOT tied in a knot. For basketball, one must consider 3-5-3e. That rule may forbid prewrap.

Iirc, Was this not discussed last year after the new head band and arm band rules came out. I thought a clarification was posted that said the prewrap was allowed.
Hair Control Devices and Headbands

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.

Last edited by SmokeEater; Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 09:04am.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Iirc, Was this not discussed last year after the new head band and arm band rules came out. I thought a clarification was posted that said the prewrap was allowed.
Hair Control Devices and Headbands
Good catch and memory, Smokie. I see that I was wrong about the logos too. No restrictions.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Nice work, Smoke. I knew that the NFHS had issued a clarification on the elastic bands, but I couldn't recall if it included prewrap and ribbons. I must be getting old.

Glad to be reminded that both are legal and that I don't have to deal with them.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 08:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Absolutely legal in Oregon. Anything with the Nike name and/or logo is permitted. You can play with a steel cast on your arm if it has a swoosh on it. Phil Knight got the Oregon legislature to pass a law allowing this. It was a rider on the bill that gave Nike an annexation exemption for their property for the next 30 years (not kidding about that part).
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Hair Control Devices

In our state (Georgia) we've been told that the elastic hair control devices no matter what is written on it, will be treated as a headband...logo, color, etc. In my interpretation of the rule (3-5-3d), these are not moisture wicking devices, but are allowed according to the wording of the rule. That said, it doesn't matter how we interpret the rule, but the state high school athletic association has now dictated we treat these devices the same as headbands and we are to enforce this interpretation.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't it fun being the uniform police? I cant wait till next year when they introduce sock color limitiations. Oh wait, no I'm not...
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

I hear you!! Sock color and the straps on the kids shoes...which they think is "cool" to leave unstrapped...games I do though I make them strap 'em up or sit.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Hair Control device. Does that mean we have to call a hair-control foul? Is there a signal for this?

Man, who cares. As long as it doesn't say F*** the ref or something, I could give two shakes about it.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NEW QUESTIONS....
Have you seen the new hair control (elastic) devices with logo/writing all the way around it? I know NF does not limit color, etc. on hair control devices, but this seems to violate the spirit of our decorum rules. In a scrimmage last night, I asked the girls in question to flip these hair control devices over to a solid white side. (players and coaches complied without question) Did I overstep?

I took a similar stance on wrists wrapped with athletic tape. Several girls on one team had their wrists wrapped with athletic tape and had written initials and/or numbers on the tape. I asked them if the tape was needed. When the response was yes, I asked them to cover the writing with another strip of tape or remove it. (again, players and coaches complied without question -- two of four removed it all together.)

I've seen writing on shoes also (although I've never seen it so blatantly displayed that I considered it a problem). Where do we draw the line?

These players keep coming up with more and more issues. I feel like I'm policing fashion as much as the game!
Yes, you overstepped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne!
In our state (Georgia) we've been told that the elastic hair control devices no matter what is written on it, will be treated as a headband...logo, color, etc. In my interpretation of the rule (3-5-3d), these are not moisture wicking devices, but are allowed according to the wording of the rule. That said, it doesn't matter how we interpret the rule, but the state high school athletic association has now dictated we treat these devices the same as headbands and we are to enforce this interpretation.
That's strange considering the NFHS has stated the exact opposite.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 06:45pm.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
Hair Control device. Does that mean we have to call a hair-control foul? Is there a signal for this?
Will the NFHS be adding a new hair control mechanic to diferentiate between team, player and hair control fouls? Do we shoot hair control fouls?