Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 04:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
.... in life, thinks Padgett.
Juulie - you've been reading what I laughingly call "my mind". BTW - they can wear earrings if they take their ears off before play. I told a kid that once and he (yes, he - this is the 21st century) went over and asked his coach how he could do that.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
So, Barry Manilow CDs make for a great gag gift in the Padgett household?
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:07pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I had a 13/14 f player show up last year with newly braided hair with lots of shells on the ends.....when I informed her she couldn't play, her coach and mom went absolutely nuts.

Thankfully, the league backed me.......do you know how long that takes and how much it costs?

Oh well, gotta do it outa season I suppose!
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
I had a 13/14 f player show up last year with newly braided hair with lots of shells on the ends.....when I informed her she couldn't play, her coach and mom went absolutely nuts.

Thankfully, the league backed me.......do you know how long that takes and how much it costs?

I wonder what the liability is on something like that, if you set aside a rule like that and a girl catches a shell in the eye and loses an eye...I'm not about to find out, but I wonder...
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan
My main concern was with earrings. In the past, someone has told me that they can put tape over their earrings and play.
That someone is wrong. Here is the NFHS rule plus the accompanying play rulings:

3-5-7 . . . Jewelry is prohibited. Religious and medical-alert medals are not considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical-alert medal must be taped and may be visible.

3.5 SITUATION B: The officials are on the court prior to the game observing the team warm-ups. One official notices that a member of Team A is wearing a decorative necklace. RULING: The official should inform the team member to remove the jewelry immediately. Upon compliance, the team member may continue to warm up with his or her teammates and may start the game without penalty.

3.5.6 SITUATION A: Substitute A6 is beckoned and enters the court to replace A1. A6 is wearing: (a) compression shorts below the game pants which extend below the knees; (b) cut-off jeans extending below the game pants; or (c) jewelry. RULING: The items in (a), (b) and (c) are illegal and A6 will not be allowed to participate while wearing the items. No penalty is involved. A6 simply cannot participate until the illegal items are removed. (3-5-7)
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar

2007-08 Major Editorial Changes
3-5-3d Clarified that hard items worn on the head are prohibited.

2007-08 NFHS Rules Book
3-5-3d Rubber, cloth or elastic bands may be used to control hair. Hard items, including, but not limited to, beads, barrettes and bobby pins, are prohibited.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
So, Barry Manilow CDs make for a great gag gift in the Padgett household?
Yes - they would make me gag.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 06:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Equipment ??

Players may not participate while wearing jewelry. Religious medals or medical alert medals are not considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical alert medal must be taped and may be visible. Headbands and wristbands must be the predominant color of the jersey or white. When wearing headbands and/or wristbands, all players must wear the same color and wear the items as intended. Only a single item may be worn on the head and/or on each wrist. Sweatbands must be worn below the elbow and be a maximum of four inches. A single headband, if worn, must be no wider than two inches. Rubber or cloth elastic bands may be used to control hair. Undershirts must be similar in color to the jersey and shall not have frayed or ragged edges. State associations may on an individual basis, allow a player to participate while wearing a head covering, if it is worn for medical or religious reasons, provided that the covering is not abrasive, hard, or dangerous, and is attached in such a way that it is highly unlikely to come off during play. Written documentation should be available.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 06:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Maybe we should start including earrings in the common basketball myths.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 07:12pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

But he's a 2-time Grammy winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Yes - they would make me gag.

Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 08:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Gee - from "Steroid" on the left to "Adnoid" on the right. Zito just doesn't belong here.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 08:35pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

The usual jewelry argument seems to be that the ears were just pierced and the earring must stay in for some amount of time, so could we please tape the ears up and let the kid play. While this is a legitimate concern, and the earring could be considered medical in nature (it is being used to prevent infection and keep the piercing opened) it would be prohibited anyway, similar to a cast or metal brace.

Two questions: If the kid comes in with taped up ears and there is no visible sign of jewelry, do you ask if he/she is wearing earrings, then prohibit the player from participating if the answer is yes and allow it if the answer is no?

If there were some soft material that could be inserted into the opening to keep it from closing and prevent infection, would that be permitted? I'm not sure if such a material exists, but I sense a marketing opportunity here if it does.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
The usual jewelry argument seems to be that the ears were just pierced and the earring must stay in for some amount of time, so could we please tape the ears up and let the kid play. While this is a legitimate concern, and the earring could be considered medical in nature (it is being used to prevent infection and keep the piercing opened) it would be prohibited anyway, similar to a cast or metal brace.

Two questions: If the kid comes in with taped up ears and there is no visible sign of jewelry, do you ask if he/she is wearing earrings, then prohibit the player from participating if the answer is yes and allow it if the answer is no?

If there were some soft material that could be inserted into the opening to keep it from closing and prevent infection, would that be permitted? I'm not sure if such a material exists, but I sense a marketing opportunity here if it does.
If someone comes in with taped up ears, yeah that's the first thing I'm going to find out if there are earrings underneath....and I don't know what type of "soft" material you would put in there because the rule is for the player's safety as much as anything else...seems like a soft material could just as easily get snagged and ripped out as anything else...
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 11:48am
MABO Member

I recently had a player and his mother come up to me before a scrimmage to show me these new earings he had on. Well at least I never seen them before, They were called safety studs .... The posts on the back were completely enclosed by a cover so the earing couldn't come out of the ear or pierce the players neck or scratch any other player. I showed my partner, talked to both coaches and got the mother to sign off on liability and let the kid play in the scrim. I personally have never seen any basketball player get hurt from earings. Football is another matter had a kid get a hoop ripped out of his ear when his helmet got ripped off his head.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.