The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Apparel? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39573-apparel.html)

fan Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:10pm

Apparel?

Can anyone give me a list of what players cannot wear during a game (nfhs)? For example, can girls wear earrings?

Thanks,

Adam Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan
Can anyone give me a list of what players cannot wear during a game (nfhs)? For example, can girls wear earrings?

Thanks,

I'm sure someone will post the rule. But the answer to your final query is no. Earrings are not allowed (boys or girls). Jewelry is not allowed, period.

The answer to the follow up question is also no. They may not tape over the jewelry. It must be removed in order for them to play.

JRutledge Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:17pm

There are a lot of things they cannot wear. Could you be a little more specific with what you are looking for?

Honestly there are so many things I do not know that anyone will be able to list everything.

Peace

fullor30 Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan

Thanks,

Only if they have a bag to match:)

Texas Aggie Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:21pm

Spiked motorcycle helmets is about all that comes to mind right now. Perhaps others can come up with one or two other things.

Mark Padgett Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:26pm

They cannot wear Barry Manilow T-shirts. And not just during games. :rolleyes:

fan Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:27pm

My main concern was with earrings. In the past, someone has told me that they can put tape over their earrings and play.

Thanks

kbilla Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
There are a lot of things they cannot wear. Could you be a little more specific with what you are looking for?

Honestly there are so many things I do not know that anyone will be able to list everything.

Peace

How about a list of what they CAN wear?!?

1. Uniform,shoes,socks basically no limitation
2. Compression shorts not to extend below uniform shorts.
3. Undershirt same color as primary color of jersey if visible with no unhemmed sleeves or sleeves of unequal length.
4. Wristbands/headband, all same color as primary color of jersey or white and all team members same.
5. Brace/support worn for medical reasons with the limitation that it not be made of any hard plastic or metal and/or that it not be deemed dangerous by the official.
6. Hair control device again not made of any hard plastic or metal.
7. Medical alert device taped to chest
8. Other items (pants under shorts, skirts) for religious reasons

That was off the top of my head, am I missing anything??

No rubber bands, "LIVESTRONG" bands, or any of the other cause celeb bands that are hot that month...basically nothing that doesn't assist in the playing of basketball...that is why we're here right?

Splute Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:32pm

Basically anything that can hurt another player would not be allowed. That includes earrings, bobby pins, barrets, any hard hair clip, long finger nails, etc.

kbilla Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan
My main concern was with earrings. In the past, someone has told me that they can put tape over their earrings and play.

Thanks

Oh I have no doubt that you WERE in fact told that probably by a registered/certified official...this is the same official that I want to strangle every time a coach goes "BUT THE LAST REF LET HER WEAR THEM!" That damn Last Ref sure makes my life difficult...

JRutledge Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan

Thanks

No they cannot wear earrings with or without tape. The only penalty is they cannot play until they remove them.

Peace

Indianaref Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbilla
5. Brace/support worn for medical reasons with the limitation that it not be made of any hard plastic or metal and/or that it not be deemed dangerous by the official.

a. A guard, cast or brace made of hard and unyielding leather, plaster, pliable (soft) plastic, metal or any other hard substance may not be worn on the elbow, hand, finger, wrist or forearm; even though covered with soft padding.
b. Hard and unyielding items (guards, casts, braces, etc.) on the upper arm or shoulder must be padded.
c. Knee and ankle braces are permitted but all exposed hinges must be covered. Most over-sleeves recommended by manufacturers are acceptable. These braces may be padded or unpadded.
d. Must be worn for medical reasons.

fullor30 Tue Nov 13, 2007 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

NICE!

mbyron Tue Nov 13, 2007 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

Careful: they CAN wear them, but if so they may not participate. ;)

rainmaker Tue Nov 13, 2007 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
Careful: they CAN wear them, but if so they may not participate. ;)

.... in life, thinks Padgett.