The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
College Ruling Please

A1 puts a shot up which goes in. As the ball is passing through the net, B3 fouls A2. As the official is reporting the foul, the coach for team B disagrees with the call and receives a direct technical foul for his actions. After the free throws for the technical foul, how is play resumed? Yes we all know POI, but which team gets ball. No bonus rule is in affect

You make the call
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 12:43am
Lighten up, Francis.

Team A gets the ball. The throw-in spot will depend on whether you rule B3's foul to be during a live ball or a dead ball. If the ball was still within the basket, then it's a live ball personal foul. Team A will shoot 2 free throws for Coach B's technical and then get the ball at the spot nearest B3's foul.

If the ball had cleared the net, then it's a dead ball and the foul should be called only if the contact was intentional or flagrant. In that case, it's an intentional technical foul (for men; for women, it's just a regular T, I think). Team A would shoot the free throws for Coach B's technical and then get the ball at midcourt.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 12:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Team A would get the ball for the foul. You would shoot the T FTs and put the ball back in by POI. Then shoot FTs for bonus if necessary or just take the ball out of bounds at the closest spot of the foul.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Team A would get the ball for the foul. You would shoot the T FTs and put the ball back in by POI. Then shoot FTs for bonus if necessary or just take the ball out of bounds at the closest spot of the foul.

Peace
I agree with your ruling, but I think you have some stuff mixed up. You first shoot the T's for the head coach, which you got correct. If you deem that foul that occurred was intentional technical or flagrant technical, you shoot two free throws and the ball is inbounded on either side of the division line to the offended team. If flagrant, the player is ejected. If we are in the bonus we would resume' play off the ft's in one and one or double bonus. if not in the bonus we would have team A take the ball out of bounds for a designated throw in.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 03:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
I agree with your ruling, but I think you have some stuff mixed up. You first shoot the T's for the head coach, which you got correct. If you deem that foul that occurred was intentional technical or flagrant technical, you shoot two free throws and the ball is inbounded on either side of the division line to the offended team. If flagrant, the player is ejected. If we are in the bonus we would resume' play off the ft's in one and one or double bonus. if not in the bonus we would have team A take the ball out of bounds for a designated throw in.
I must be missing something. You were only asking about a direct technical foul. I am not sure if you are aware, but that is the actual classification of a technical foul in NCAA Rules. That means that you can only go to the POI on that type of situation. A direct technical does not involve an ejection (all by itself). And if you wanted to know what happens with a flagrant or intentional foul, why did you not just ask that in your scenario?

What do you do if the lights went off the moment the ball was in the air and you did not see who threw a punch and who came off the bench. Do you then still have the ability to look at the monitor?

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Nov 12, 2007 at 03:12am.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I must be missing something. You were only asking about a direct technical foul.
If this was a technical foul, then it was an Intentional Technical foul (in NCAAM). Then, the throw-in is at the division line, not the spot nearest the foul.

OTOH, your ruling would have been correct for NCAAW. I'm sure that makes you happy.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
If this was a technical foul, then it was an Intentional Technical foul (in NCAAM). Then, the throw-in is at the division line, not the spot nearest the foul.

OTOH, your ruling would have been correct for NCAAW. I'm sure that makes you happy.
NCAA 10.4.1 which covers bench technicals says that "disrespectfuly addressing an official" is in fact a direct tech as JRut says with two free throws and POI...which in this case would be bonus free throws or nearest spot throw in we are not in bonus...NCAA women is also POI according to 10.4.1....
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
NCAA 10.4.1 which covers bench technicals says that "disrespectfuly addressing an official" is in fact a direct tech as JRut says with two free throws and POI...which in this case would be bonus free throws or nearest spot throw in we are not in bonus...NCAA women is also POI according to 10.4.1....
One of us (probably me) is confused. I was talking about B3's foul on A2 being an intentional T. The throw in for this is at the division line, not the spot nearest the foul (in NCAAM).

I agree that the T on the coach is a direct T.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
One of us (probably me) is confused. I was talking about B3's foul on A2 being an intentional T. The throw in for this is at the division line, not the spot nearest the foul (in NCAAM).

I agree that the T on the coach is a direct T.
Ahhh I see what you are saying. Are you saying that since the ball was dead when the ball passed through the net that you have an intentional T on A2? The situation doesn't say, but I assumed that this was a common foul, but I guess it depends on what he means by "as the ball is passing through the net"...if the ball was through, then I hope the contact causing the foul was execessive, otherwise he should have passed on it altogether...since he didn't elaborate, I assumed it was just a common foul that occurred just before the ball passed through (live ball)...
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 12:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Ahhh I see what you are saying. Are you saying that since the ball was dead when the ball passed through the net that you have an intentional T on A2? The situation doesn't say, but I assumed that this was a common foul, but I guess it depends on what he means by "as the ball is passing through the net"...if the ball was through, then I hope the contact causing the foul was execessive, otherwise he should have passed on it altogether...since he didn't elaborate, I assumed it was just a common foul that occurred just before the ball passed through (live ball)...
I only thought of this as a common foul based on the description. And he did not say the ball was dead. If the ball was dead, that still does not change my answer. That being said the direct T is still a POI application and if you decide to call another T for that foul by B3 is accused of committing, then you still would shoot the Direct T FTs first and then do whatever you had to do to put the ball back in play. If you call a T that requires the ball to be put back in play at the division line, that does not trump that a Direct T in Men's basketball is still a POI foul (live or dead ball).

Peace
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I only thought of this as a common foul based on the description. And he did not say the ball was dead. If the ball was dead, that still does not change my answer. That being said the direct T is still a POI application and if you decide to call another T for that foul by B3 is accused of committing, then you still would shoot the Direct T FTs first and then do whatever you had to do to put the ball back in play. If you call a T that requires the ball to be put back in play at the division line, that does not trump that a Direct T in Men's basketball is still a POI foul (live or dead ball).

Peace
Agree with you, at the risk of misinterpreting what Bob was thinking (Bob correct me if i am wrong), i think he was thinking that the foul by A2 was dead ball...which assuming it was excessive (non-flagrant) contact it would be an intentional T, not direct...then with the direct on the coach, you have a false multiple which you would administer in the order of occurence...shoot the intentional T first, then shoot the direct on the coach, then go POI which in this case would be B's ball at division line for the initial intentional T by A2...but again I thought the foul by A2 was common and none of this matters...did I get that right?
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 12:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not that it matters with two Ts, but wouldn't you shoot the direct T on the coach first and then resume with POI, which is the free throws for the intentional T?
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Not that it matters with two Ts, but wouldn't you shoot the direct T on the coach first and then resume with POI, which is the free throws for the intentional T?
Why would you do this rather than order of occcurence? You are right, in effect you end up in the same place...

While we are on the subject of NCAA technical fouls, does anyone have an easy way of remembering which T's are shot by the "offended player" and which ones anyone can shoot? Being new to college with a whopping 3 games under my belt, it is a lot to try to memorize...thanks!
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 12:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Why would you do this rather than order of occcurence? You are right, in effect you end up in the same place...
My understanding is you either do POI or "order of occurance," not both. In effect, doing it your way would be a hybrid of POI and OOC.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

While we are on the subject of NCAA technical fouls, does anyone have an easy way of remembering which T's are shot by the "offended player" and which ones anyone can shoot? Being new to college with a whopping 3 games under my belt, it is a lot to try to memorize...thanks!
8-2 provides some pretty good guidance -- and it's not that hard to remember.