The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Question College Refs

So went on down and saw a D1 doubleheader today. The officials were from the Big West. Now most of the time I watch Big Sky Ball which is ,to put it lightly, THUG BALL.

SO I might be influenced by that and comparing it to how the BIG West wants it called.I watch the Women first ,then the men and saw two very clean games of college ball called.

So is college cleaning it up this year or is this just the differences between how conferences want it called ?

Also are those jackets,black with 2 white racing stripes, for all conferences or is that a Big West jacket only ?

I thought the jackets made them look a little too much like major league umpires.......
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 10:26pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref

Also are those jackets,black with 2 white racing stripes, for all conferences or is that a Big West jacket only ?

I thought the jackets made them look a little too much like major league umpires.......
Jackets are for all conferences. And I agree, they remind me of the Major League jacket.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
So went on down and saw a D1 doubleheader today. The officials were from the Big West. Now most of the time I watch Big Sky Ball which is ,to put it lightly, THUG BALL.

SO I might be influenced by that and comparing it to how the BIG West wants it called.I watch the Women first ,then the men and saw two very clean games of college ball called.

So is college cleaning it up this year or is this just the differences between how conferences want it called ?

Where did you watch the games at?? I also work for the Big West Supervisor of mens officials, in his D3 and Junior College conferences. He is a great guy. College is cleaning up this year. NCAA wants us to take more initiative on cleaning up the game. Also a side note, the Big West has very good officials. I have worked with some during the past few seasons. Ya that is new college jacket for every level.

Tommy
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 12:42am
Do not give a damn!!

College basketball is not HS basketball. For starters if you expect the game to be called similarly to anything that will never be the case. The NCAA has not made any more than in the past on how to call the game. They address similar things almost every single year. The NCAA talks about rough play and certain types of contact every single year. I am sure what you saw is a typical early season, non-conference games. The game does not have the same intensity and the officials that are working now are not necessarily the same people that will be working later in the year (and certainly not conference games).

We have also talked about the jackets many, many times on this site. If you did a search you would find about 4 topics just on the issue in the last month or so.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
Where did you watch the games at?? I also work for the Big West Supervisor of mens officials, in his D3 and Junior College conferences. He is a great guy. College is cleaning up this year. NCAA wants us to take more initiative on cleaning up the game. Also a side note, the Big West has very good officials. I have worked with some during the past few seasons. Ya that is new college jacket for every level.

Tommy
Games were at UC DAvis...Women were Sac State /UC Davis. The men were La Verne, D2 ?, UC Davis.

JR
No doubt they lacked the same intensity as a conference match up. I usually watch Big Sky and it is definetly alot rougher than what I saw tonight. My perception was that they weren't letting much go-made for a clean game, comparing it to the usual Big Sky brawls I have witnessed.....

I don't know if it was because of non-conference game or how it was called but I counted 3 times in both games,left halfway through 2nd half of mens,that coaches said anything that indicated not being happy.....
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 01:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
JR
No doubt they lacked the same intensity as a conference match up. I usually watch Big Sky and it is definetly alot rougher than what I saw tonight. My perception was that they weren't letting much go-made for a clean game, comparing it to the usual Big Sky brawls I have witnessed.....
Once again, it is non-conference. And the teams were not at the same level as well. If the intensity was bigger, I am sure you would see a different game called because they would have to call it a different way. Players often dictate the way the game is called not the officials.

Quote:
I don't know if it was because of non-conference game or how it was called but I counted 3 times in both games,left halfway through 2nd half of mens,that coaches said anything that indicated not being happy.....
And this is different than any other game how?

Peace
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 04:19pm
Huck Finn

Also keep in mind, basketball out west is different than other places. IMO, more things are called out west and the officials have a different rep - the teams do too. The game is closer to the rest of the country than it has been in the past, but there is still a little difference.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 04:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

That is a great point that I did not consider in my answer. I know the game in general is allowed to be more physical in like the Midwest because the style of play is tough with strong defense. Areas of the country right or wrong have some different philosophies and styles of play.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=

And this is different than any other game how?

Peace[/QUOTE]

In the aforementioned Big Sky brawls the coaches are doing the Linda Blair dance all night. I used my example because I thought it seemed unusual in that they ONLY acted like that 3 times.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 05:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

To be honest with you I really do not know what any of that means.

All I will say if you expect the same things to be called across the board, then you are not being very realistic. It was just one game. I am sure there is more to a conference based on a single non-conference game.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 05:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
To be honest with you I really do not know what any of that means.
Rut - I think the "Linda Blair dance" reference was to how her character acted in the movie The Exorcist. Actually, that's pretty accurate as to how a lot of coaches act during a game.

Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 05:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

I got the Linda Blair reference, I just do not know what that meant as it related to a game.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Games were at UC DAvis...Women were Sac State /UC Davis. The men were La Verne, D2 ?, UC Davis.

JR

La Verne is a D3 school. I have them in a couple weeks, in December actually. UC Davis just got into the Big West.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 06:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I got the Linda Blair reference, I just do not know what that meant as it related to a game.

Peace
I think he meant the coaches were so upset, their heads turned around 360 degrees. That I'd like to see - really!
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
La Verne is a D3 school. I have them in a couple weeks, in December actually. UC Davis just got into the Big West.
Didn't realize LaVerne had her own college after she left the beer plant. Wonder what Shirley is doing these days.