The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 20, 2000, 11:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question

I want someone to explain to me that does anything above the HS level to explain to me if you take tests or not. If you do why, if you do not why. What are you judged on every year you are evaluated and what things can get you fired and hired. I want to solve this discussion about the importance of rules and your supposed knowledge of them. Do you officials that do college or even pro levels, do you feel that your knowledge of rules is going to carry you throughout your entire career, or do you have to look sharp with your mechanics and signals. I know the answer to some of this already, but I do not want to be the one to tell it. So I want those of you that do college and pro to speak for yourselfs
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Yes, I took a test this year given by the assigner for college games. The purpose, I believe was to get us to review some of the new / changed rules and areas of difficulty from years past.

No one has claimed (or, more acurately, I have not read anyone claiming) that rules were the only thing needed to carry one throughout an officiating career. We are ageeing that mechanics, appearance, etc. are also important. Similarly, however, they are not sufficient to carry on throughout a career.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 10:53am
Esteemed Participant

We did a "test" at my pre-season meeting, but it was not graded or anything...as Mr. Jenkins stated, the purpose was to get us to discuss the new rules (esp. the new T rules) and POE's...rules knowledge will not get you hired at the college level, but not knowing the rules or misapplying the rules will certainly lead to being dropped or not getting a new contract...
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 01:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question For Bob and rockyroad(or anyone else that gave you the test)

Did the NCAA require this test (or NAIA, or even the conference you work)? How long were the tests?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

The assigner gave it. I have no idea who else, if anyone, "required" him to give it, nor did (or do) I care. I'm certainly not going to say to him, "Why are you giving this test?"

I think it was about 25 questions.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 02:12pm
Esteemed Participant

Ours was also 25 questions and was printed by the NCAA - whether they required it or not, I don't know or (like Mr. Jenkins) care...commissioner said take it, so I took it...
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Ours was 25 questions, printed by the NCAA and administered by our assignor. Whether it was required or not by the NCAA, I have no idea. I know that if I didn't take it, no contract. Our assignor makes it very clear that rule knowledge, inside and out is essential because an official better know how to handle situations without having to refer to a rulebook especially in the heat of battle. I've only just started at this level but one thing I've noticed is that most of the coaches know the rules as opposed to many high school coaches. Therefore, if I'm on the floor to make sure the game is to played by the rules, I better know the rules and how to administer them prior to walking on the floor. Because if you screw up administering a rule, or if you decide to administer something your own way because you believe the rules are not that important, you can be damn sure your assignor will hear about it and then bye-bye contract!
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming that we are discussing NCAA mens rules could someone please forward a copy of the 25 questions to:

[email protected]

thanks
SH
keep smiling
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 02:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Smile Thank you.

I appreciate the response. I really was just curious sense there was a discussion about rules and their importance. I learned something I did not know or was not told. Have a good season and most of all a Happy Thanksgiving.