The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Uniform rule--IHSA Clarification

Did anyone get any information about the new uniform rule (meaning the color of the jersey) was going to be under review?

Our state left all officials this message.

11/7 Uniform Rule Clarification

NOTE: This message has also been posted in the Case Situation area of the IHSA Schools' and Officials' Center.

Since the advent of the basketball pre-season rule interpretation meetings, the IHSA Office has received a number of inquiries from member schools concerning the application of rule 3-4 (Uniforms) this year in Illinois. At the rule interpretation meetings, schools and officials were notified that schools who either failed to wear white uniforms as the home team in a varsity boys’ or girls’ basketball game or wore illegal uniforms should be penalized in accordance with rule 10-3-2. Schools were also told at these pre-season rules meetings that they could write to the IHSA Office for a waiver of the uniform requirement if necessary. As member schools were reminded, they were given four years to plan for this year’s emphasis on wearing proper and legal uniforms.

However, with girls’ basketball games scheduled to begin next week, the IHSA has clarified its position with respect to the uniform rule in Illinois for the regular season. It has been determined that, while the onus of responsibility for ensuring their teams are wearing legal uniforms resides with each member school and that school administrators must work, in some cases, more closely with their basketball coaches when ordering uniforms, the current penalty for wearing illegal uniforms as established by the NFHS is scheduled to be reviewed at an up-coming meeting of state association directors, and, as a result, the penalty is not to be enforced by officials. Officials are, though, required to complete a Special Report with the IHSA Office if they officiate a boys’ or girls’ varsity basketball contest in which either team is wearing what they suspect to be an illegal uniform, including an incidence of a varsity home team failing to wear white uniforms.

As a final reminder, the restrictions on home teams wearing white uniforms applies only to the varsity level.

Schools or officials with additional questions can contact Kurt Gibson or Beth Sauser at the IHSA Office.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Haven't gotten that message, but here in South Carolina we've been told at our Rules meetings that we are not to assess technical fouls for illegal uniforms, but rather to report it to the state. So, SC is already using that interpretation.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for passing along the info, Rut. If the state directors get together and change the penalty, I would hope that they would adopt the NCAA penalty for this.

Illegal uniforms by the whole team results in a single team technical foul.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:11pm
M.A.S.H.

Interesting...thanks, Jeff.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Jeff, thanks for the update. I just checked the website this morning and hadn't seen this, so this must've just come out.

I'm glad to see the IHSA change their stance a little. Kurt was the rules interpreter for our meeting just last Thursday, and even then he was still taking the stance that the schools have had 4 years to comply with all the uniform rule changes, and it is still the schools' own fault if they purchased illegal uniforms from a supplier. I can see the logic, but that seems to penalize the kids a great deal (5 T's at the minimum) for something they have no control over. Of course, I still heard the usual grumbling afterwards, "There's no way I'm handing out all those T's to start a game", etc., and that puts the officials who want to call it correctly on the spot. This way, the IHSA can deal directly with the schools on this subject, and we can deal with the game of basketball.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:17pm
Ch1town

At our Master Clinic this past Sunday we were instructed to stick each & every starter & sub (upon entry) for the uniform infraction as they have had ample time to prepare for this.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:20pm
M.A.S.H.

While I agree, I would also agree with Kurt in saying that if they are only going to get one T, then they'll just do whatever they want. In regards to not having legal uniforms.

I don't have a problem handing out 5+ T's. I'll just designate them to M&M like I will with the jump ball.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Illegal uniforms by the whole team results in a single team technical foul.
Seems to me this would be a very fair penalty, same as in 10-1-2 - one foul only per team regardless of the number of infractions.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
At our Master Clinic this past Sunday we were instructed to stick each & every starter & sub (upon entry) for the uniform infraction as they have had ample time to prepare for this.
Our Master Clinic isn't until the 18th, but this is good to know.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:38pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Our Master Clinic isn't until the 18th, but this is good to know.
Yes sir, we had Tom Lopes from #184 do a presentation. The jewels he dropped on us were outstanding

BTW, I take it that you're staying put for now?
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Yes sir, we had Tom Lopes from #184 do a presentation. The jewels he dropped on us were outstanding

BTW, I take it that you're staying put for now?
For now, yes.
Some options fell through. Probably looking at spring now, which will at least have me doing some off-season ball; which doesn't exist out here.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

In TN we were told at the State Rule Meetings to enforce uniform rules as written. Varsity contest, non white home team uniforms, starting with 5 Techs.

Last edited by ref2coach; Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 06:11pm.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Uniform rule

GA -- we're enforcing per NFHS and I agree...... they've had enough time to get their uniforms.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 08:13pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach
In TN we were told at the State Rule Meetings to enforce uniform rules as written. Varsity contest, non white home team uniforms, starting with 5 Techs.
Same guidance we were given in VA. And T's when each sub reports in for the first time.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Had our rules meeting tonight - official policy in OR is we are to enforce them as written.