The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Because no basket can be scored when the shooter commits a player control foul. The points can be awarded if the defense violates in certain ways, but the shooter cannot score a basket if he/she commits a PC foul.

Good point and due to the violation. Team B will have a throw-in anywhere along the endline because of the violation.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Because no basket can be scored when the shooter commits a player control foul. The points can be awarded if the defense violates in certain ways, but the shooter cannot score a basket if he/she commits a PC foul.

Not to confuse things, but I believe there are some differences between Fed and NCAA rules if the basket is made before the PC foul occures.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 01:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo
Not to confuse things, but I believe there are some differences between Fed and NCAA rules if the basket is made before the PC foul occures.
Not exactly. The difference is that fact that in NCAA there is no such thing as an airborne shooter. This means any foul committed after the release is a common foul rather than a PC foul.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 01:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Not exactly. The difference is that fact that in NCAA there is no such thing as an airborne shooter. This means any foul committed after the release is a common foul rather than a PC foul.
That is the case on the Men's side. I must say that or all the Women's official get upset when you do not include their rules or philosophies. Not that most of the public cares.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Not exactly. The difference is that fact that in NCAA there is no such thing as an airborne shooter.
Not exactly.

The difference is under ncaa men's rules the PC foul only applies to players with the ball, it does not apply to the airborne shooter as it does ubder fed & ncaa women's rules.
Quote:
This means any foul committed after the release is a common foul rather than a PC foul.
ncaa men only.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 02:00pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Not exactly.

The difference is under ncaa men's rules the PC foul only applies to players with the ball, it does not apply to the airborne shooter as it does ubder fed & ncaa women's rules.
Exactly.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll have to follow up on these rules, because I don't get it now. Why would we disallow the basket that's already been scored?
In the OP the ball becomes dead immediately when the GT occurs and the penalty is to award the points. Then the PC foul occurs & the PC foul is penaliized.

If the PC foul occurs first the ball is innediately dead and a basket can't be counted. The GT after the ball is dead is of no consequence.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 04:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer166
In the OP the ball becomes dead immediately when the GT occurs and the penalty is to award the points. Then the PC foul occurs & the PC foul is penaliized.

If the PC foul occurs first the ball is innediately dead and a basket can't be counted. The GT after the ball is dead is of no consequence.
I understand this much. What I was questioning was when the ball actually goes through the hoop prior to the PC. For some reason, I thought since the goal had already been scored, you'd keep the score on the board.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 05:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I understand this much. What I was questioning was when the ball actually goes through the hoop prior to the PC. For some reason, I thought since the goal had already been scored, you'd keep the score on the board.
If you are talking about NCAA Men's basketball the play in the OP your ruling is very true. NF rules that would not be true.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
See case book play 4.19.6SitA(a). It's the exact play.
4.19.6 SITUATION A: B1 obtains a legal position in A1's path before A1 becomes airborne. A1 jumps and releases the ball on a try for goal. Before returning to the floor, airborne shooter A1 charges into B1. (a) Before the foul by A1, B2 commits basket interference; or (b) after the foul on A1, B2 slaps the ball on its downward flight. RULING: In (a), both the violation and the foul are penalized. The basket interference by B2 causes the ball to become dead immediately. The violation is penalized by awarding the two points. The player-control foul on A1 is also charged. Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in anywhere along the end line. A defensive-goaltending or basket-interference violation committed prior to a player-control foul does not contradict the general statement that when a player-control foul occurs that player cannot score. In the case of a defensive violation, it is the violation which results in awarding the score. In (b), the ball becomes dead and the try ends immediately when the player-control foul on A1 occurs. The action of B2 is ignored as goaltending cannot occur after the try has ended. The ball is awarded to Team B for a throw-in from a designated spot out of bounds closest to where the foul occurred. (4-12-1; 6-7-4; 6-7-9 Exception; 7-5-5; 9-11)