The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I'd call it a kick. It's basketball not that ugly, other, so called sport where you kick the ball all over.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 10:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I'd call it a kick. It's basketball not that ugly, other, so called sport where you kick the ball all over.
Volleyball?
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Ping pong actually.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 01:54pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Hows this for interesting. I had a young man receiving a rolling ball near the end of the game. You know how they will sometimes inbound the ball along the floor and don't touch it till near half to keep the clock from starting. Anyway instead of bending over to pick up the ball he sticks his foot out and lets the ball roll up his leg into his hands, I call the violation and he stands there like a deer in headlights. Coach just put his hands on top of his head and started shaking it back and forth. No explanation necessary!

The kid had to be a soccer player.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the call. However, I am just musing if the "let it roll up the leg" scenario violates the spirit and intent of the rule. The only case plays I have ever seen are where the defense intentionally uses the leg to try to block a pass or when the defense "grabs" the ball with their legs or feet. Interesting play... not sure I'd have a whistle on it.
How about a situation where A1 throws a bounce pass to A2, and the pass bounces closer to A2 than expected, and instead of being able to catch it normally, A2 catches the ball between her thighs? Would you have a whistle on that play? I would.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Ha, I would be choking on my whistle with laughter.... but yes I would have the same violation.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
This is, btw, one of the reasons NCAA-W went away from putting the ball down at the spot of a throw-in during a TO - officials were doing things like this to pick up the ball, rather than just bending down and picking it up with their hands. The committee felt flicking the ball up with the foot didn't look "professional".
I wonder how many of them busted their bums tripping on the ball while attempting this manuver? [/QUOTE]

I think their thought was more along the lines of watching several official unsuccessful at this maneuver and now having to chase after the ball. I suppose you could even try this along to baseline and have an unsuspecting fan in the front row with a bb bouncing of their head.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

I think their thought was more along the lines of watching several official unsuccessful at this maneuver and now having to chase after the ball. I suppose you could even try this along to baseline and have an unsuspecting fan in the front row with a bb bouncing of their head.[/quote]

What ya saying xactly???? we got no skills you are probably correct in this analysis.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
I think their thought was more along the lines of watching several official unsuccessful at this maneuver and now having to chase after the ball. I suppose you could even try this along to baseline and have an unsuspecting fan in the front row with a bb bouncing of their head.
What ya saying xactly???? we got no skills you are probably correct in this analysis.[/QUOTE]

I'm just saying...
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
I'm just saying...
Hey, I got skills - I can hit the fan in the 4th row just as easily as the one in 1st row.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Hey, I got skills - I can hit the fan in the 4th row just as easily as the one in 1st row.
Then I guess you do got skillz
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Sweet!!! sign him up!..... but do you have a rule citation to prove that is a fan in the 4th row? how bout the 1st row??