The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Is this a T?

Following a goal by Team B, A1 collects the ball and steps OOB. He does not attempt to make a throw-in pass, but merely places the ball down on the floor and leaves. It is unclear why. Perhaps another teammate is supposed to come along, pick it up, and make the throw-in pass. However, in the meantime the official has begun the five-second count and B1, who is standing inbounds, reaches through the throw-in boundary plane and picks up the ball. He then attempts to score a goal.

The official sounds the whistle and:
1. gives a team delay of game warning for breaking the boundary plane.
2. gives a team delay of game warning AND a charges B1 with a technical foul.

Vote for #1 or #2 and give rules support.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Following a goal by Team B, A1 collects the ball and steps OOB. He does not attempt to make a throw-in pass, but merely places the ball down on the floor and leaves. It is unclear why. Perhaps another teammate is supposed to come along, pick it up, and make the throw-in pass. However, in the meantime the official has begun the five-second count and B1, who is standing inbounds, reaches through the throw-in boundary plane and picks up the ball. He then attempts to score a goal.

I don't think B1 did anything to deserve a technical foul. I will probably go with A. What grade level are the players?
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 05:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm voting for a technical foul.

If A1, standing OOB for the endline throwin, passes to A2 also standing OOB, and B1 reaches across and slaps the ball in flight, it's a technical foul.

I'm using that rule.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'm voting for a technical foul.

If A1, standing OOB for the endline throwin, passes to A2 also standing OOB, and B1 reaches across and slaps the ball in flight, it's a technical foul.

I'm using that rule.
OPPS - I read the OP wrong. This scenario seems funny. I probably will not give a T to team B. As I said before, what is the age level of the players? Are any players from team A attempting to go oob and make a throw in?
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 05:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

While I might let this go with a warning below the jh level, I'm probably calling it at any level JH and above.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'm leaning for a throw-in violation for failing to pass the ball directly onto the court.

7-5-7 a says: make a direct throw-in or pass the ball to a teammate OOB...putting the ball on the floor isn't passing and it isn't directly throwing the ball in.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

I vote for #2.

It's going to be a technical. R 10-3-11 since the official started the five second count. The ball is in possession of the team entitled to the throw-in BY Team B reaching through and touching the ball it will be a player technical. It meets the requirement for player technical.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, lots of different answers so far. BTW for those who care, let's say that this a boys HS varsity postseason game.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

#2.

10-3-11 Reach through the throw-in boundary-line plane and touch or dislodge the ball as in 9-2 Penalty 3.

There is no requirement that the ball be in physical possession of an A player, but a definite prohibition against reaching through the plane and touching the ball.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
#2.

10-3-11 Reach through the throw-in boundary-line plane and touch or dislodge the ball as in 9-2 Penalty 3.

There is no requirement that the ball be in physical possession of an A player, but a definite prohibition against reaching through the plane and touching the ball.
Finally someone who grasped why I wrote the first post in this thread.
BITS, have you checked the wording of 9-2 Penalty 3? Do you wish to stand by your underlined statement?
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BITS, have you checked the wording of 9-2 Penalty 3? Do you wish to stand by your underlined statement?
See Post #7
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All I have here at work is the online rules, and I can't seem to find 9-2 Penalty 3. I'll look it up when I get home and let you know. However, as written, it is a little ambiguous whether "as in 9-2 Penalty 3" applies equally to both "touch" and "dislodge," or if it only applies to "dislodge." And not knowing what the penalty says, I have no context (yet) to help me decide that.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
I vote for #2.

It's going to be a technical. R 10-3-11 since the official started the five second count. The ball is in possession of the team entitled to the throw-in BY Team B reaching through and touching the ball it will be a player technical. It meets the requirement for player technical.
What does this have to do with the words in 9-2 Penalty 3?
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
All I have here at work is the online rules, and I can't seem to find 9-2 Penalty 3. I'll look it up when I get home and let you know. However, as written, it is a little ambiguous whether "as in 9-2 Penalty 3" applies equally to both "touch" and "dislodge," or if it only applies to "dislodge." And not knowing what the penalty says, I have no context (yet) to help me decide that.
"...and touches or dislodges the ball while in possession of the thrower or being passed to a teammate outside the boundary line (as in 7-5-7), ...)
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Since 9-2 Penalty 3 explicitly says ...the opponent touches or dislodges the ball while in possession of the thrower or being passed to a teammate outside the boundary line... I'm going to go with a delay of game warning for breaking the boundary plane.

Follow-up question: reading the question, I don't believe it would be a technical foul if B reached across and batted a pass from A1 to A2 who was also behind the end-line...interesting...