The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Darn it, I can't find a rule reference for this one, but I'm almost 100% sure that I'm correct.

I called an intentional foul last night on B1, and as we're lining up to shoot the two throws, a B2 creeps up to the top of the arc. Before I gave A1 the ball, I glared at B2 to let him know that I'm watching to make sure that he isn't yappin' in the shooters ear.

Of course, coach A didn't like the kid being there, but he didn't have a problem when I told him that he sure could be there, so long as he isn't disconcerting A1.

Once we got back in the locker room, my partner asked why I let B2 stand at the top of the arc. I told him because the rule is the players only have to be off the lane lines, not behind half court as commonly believed. He didnt' believe me, and I couldn't find the stinkin' rule/case play to back up my answer.

Can anyone help with a rule reference?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

I would have done it the same. Rule 8-1-4 and 9-1-8 cover the lane positions as well as 9.1.8
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

This may be what you are looking for;

8-1-4

Any player, other than the free thrower, who does not occupy a marked lane space must be behind the free-throw line extended and behind the three-point line.

Hope this is right and helped
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

I've never been able to find a rule reference (or a reference in the officials manual) other than the one that Larry S. has stated.

Maybe, at one time it was written that all players had to be behind the division line. Any long-time officals wish to comment?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

I tried to find this earlier in the year when a coach went defcon 1 on me for allowing it. The best I came up with is the previous rule citation and the fact it does not say they can't be there. Since it is not outlawed, it must be ok.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 03:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

It is one of those myths of basketball that players must be behind the division line during free throws that occur when players are not allowed on the lane.

As stated in the replies above, the normal rule as to where players may stand is all that applies.

If you get a howler monkey that gives you any flak about it, tell him to go back to his cage and have a Prozac banana.