The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 11:56pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The will set a new record for total points. Boise State and Nevada played a 69-67 4OT game just two weeks ago.
Didn't Georgia Tech defeat Cumberland 222-0 in college football a long time ago?

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 12:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Well, in regulation, if A loses possession, B gains possession, then A regains possession during the down, A gets a new series. Not sure about OT.
Same rules apply in overtime as in regulation for that type of situation.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
Didn't Georgia Tech defeat Cumberland 222-0 in college football a long time ago?
"Back in 1916, Georgia Tech beat Cumberland 222-0, but that was before the NCAA kept track of records."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/recap;...270257&prov=ap

Probably because the NCAA didn't exist back then.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 03:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
2) Team A scores a TD and extra point. Team B commits a turnover, and during the play Team A recovers tha ball and runs into the end-zone (without the momentum exception) for a safety.
How would that result in a 5 point spread? wouldn't it be 9?
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 05:01am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
How would that result in a 5 point spread? wouldn't it be 9?
No... 5 is correct. I had to think twice about this one too, and I work football!

So Team A is up by 7 by scoring a TD in OT. Now it's B's turn. A intercepts B's forward pass and runs into their own EZ. B tackles A. B gets the 2 points, but their series is also over. 7 - 2 = 5.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 05:10am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Rulings

CANADIAN RULINGS:

Quote:
A has the first series, scores a TD and, since it's the 3rd OT period, goes for a successful 2 point conversion.

B goes 3-and-out, but the coaches somehow forget that it's OT and send in the FG unit instead of going for it on 4th down.
Valid in Canadian ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
1) Team A scores a FG while on offense, and then a safety while on defense.

2) Team A scores a TD and extra point. Team B commits a turnover, and during the play Team A recovers tha ball and runs into the end-zone (without the momentum exception) for a safety.
Valid in Canadian ball.

Quote:
I'm not sure what the rules are for an INT during B's series in OT. A small part in the back of my brain says the play should be whistled dead.
The defense can end the play by scoring.

Quote:
Nope. The play finishes just the same as any other play. If this is the first team on offense in that OT, then the game is over if the defense scores. If the defensive team has already been on offense and has scored, then their player would be smart to simply fall down or take a knee.
Same as Canadian ball.

Quote:
However, if the defense fumbles before the play is over the offense can get the ball back and maybe even score on the play.
Same.

Quote:
What I don't know for sure is what happens if the offensive team gets the ball back, but does NOT score on the play. Is their possession over or do they get to continue? I think that they are allowed to continue the offensive series.
Their possession is over. They do not get a new series.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
No... 5 is correct. I had to think twice about this one too, and I work football!

So Team A is up by 7 by scoring a TD in OT. Now it's B's turn. A intercepts B's forward pass and runs into their own EZ. B tackles A. B gets the 2 points, but their series is also over. 7 - 2 = 5.
Got it. Bob's description of the situation didn't live up to his usual highly useful standard.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 11:52am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
"Back in 1916, Georgia Tech beat Cumberland 222-0, but that was before the NCAA kept track of records."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/recap;...270257&prov=ap

Probably because the NCAA didn't exist back then.
The NCAA was in existence, but didn't start keeping records till the 1930's or 1950's (can't remember which).

This brings to mind, I was reading something about HS football scores back in those days (1910's). In Nebraska, the highest score by a team was 201. Score of that game was 201-7. This was a week after the winning team had been clobbered 176-0. It supposedly is the biggest turnaround in football history, going from losing by 176 to winning by 194 on consecutive weeks, for a total turnaround of 370 points.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Navy, N. Texas score most combined points in regulation FBS game

DENTON, Texas (AP) -- Navy is no stranger to high-scoring games. The Midshipmen have an NCAA record, and a bowl berth-clinching victory, to show for their latest one.
The Midshipmen and North Texas scored a major-college record 136 points in Navy's 74-62 victory Saturday.
Still, this wasn't even the highest scoring game of the season. Weber State and Portland State racked up 141 for the all-division record two weeks ago. Weber State won 73-68 in a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) game.
The previous record for college football's top tier of competition was 133 points in San Jose State's 70-63 win over Rice on Oct. 2, 2004. Boise State beat Nevada 69-67 earlier this year, totaling 136 points, but that Oct. 14 game went to four overtimes. The teams were tied at 44 after regulation.