The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Thats right to have established front court status he must at the very least have the ball.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I had a situation happen last night where the point guard was bring the ball up in his backcourt and cross the half court line with both feet in the front court and discontinued his dribble and left the ball in the backcourt. He then went into the backcourt and retrieved the ball. I am aware that he has to have all three elements(both feet and the ball), but it sure did look awkward. We didn't call backcourt, but as you can imagine, the crowd and the opposing coach were very vocal. Is this the right call?
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
If you have a loose ball, then the ball itself determines back court. So if the ball did not cross the division line, then no call can be made. Continue your 10 count and let the crowd go as balistic as they want.

Old Sat Feb 05, 2000, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

I'm not too sure I have ever had a crowd make a correct call that the officials missed. Lots of buffoons out there. Don't let them influence what you know is right.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2000, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Thumbs up

Your correct call in this play would be UGLY!! But last I checked they haven't allowed the call in the NF or the NCAA. You did well to stick to your guns. Not all awkward plays are violations and the two most situations where ugliness occurs is in the areas of traveling and backcourt. GOOD JOB!
Old Sun Feb 06, 2000, 04:22am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I had a girls game last week where A1 was in the backcourt and attempted a pass to A2 who was in the frontcourt. The only problem was that A2 had her back to A1. The ball smacked off the back of her head and bounced back into the backcourt where it was grabbed by A1.

After A2 was helped off the court, I informed everyone of the violation.

That was fun.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2000, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

A few nights ago, A1, in backcourt, passed to A2 who was also in backcourt. The ball was tipped by B1 and flew into A's frontcourt(B's backcourt) where it was first touched by B2. I called backcourt on B. However, B never had possession of the ball until B2 picked it up in her backcourt but it was last touched by B in frontcourt and then first touched by B in backcourt. I am 99% sure I made the right call but that 1% gives me a gutsick feeling.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2000, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal on 02-06-2000 05:38 PM
A few nights ago, A1, in backcourt, passed to A2 who was also in backcourt. The ball was tipped by B1 and flew into A's frontcourt(B's backcourt) where it was first touched by B2. I called backcourt on B. However, B never had possession of the ball until B2 picked it up in her backcourt but it was last touched by B in frontcourt and then first touched by B in backcourt. I am 99% sure I made the right call but that 1% gives me a gutsick feeling.

Ralph,

Can't find a casebook ruling on this, but I'm afraid the 1% gutsick feeling is correct. For it to be a backcourt violation, B would have had to have team control for there to be a backcourt violation (9.9). Team B doesn't have control until the ball is secured in its backcourt. No violation.

You'll get the next one...

Paul

Old Sun Feb 06, 2000, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Paul in Seattle on 02-06-2000 05:51 PM
Ralph,

Can't find a casebook ruling on this, but I'm afraid the 1% gutsick feeling is correct. For it to be a backcourt violation, B would have had to have team control for there to be a backcourt violation (9.9). Team B doesn't have control until the ball is secured in its backcourt. No violation.

You'll get the next one...

Paul

You are absolutely right,Paul. Team control is the deal. I won't miss it again, thanks, Ralph.