The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

pinching the paint

I just wanted to start a discussion about pinching the paint. The pre-season stuff I've been to for NCAA women's and men's as well as my main HS assignor's camp have really been stressing this. Personally I'm a little uncomfortable being there, but I'm working on it. It is just a big change in thought but I can see the benefits as far as getting better angles. Anyone else with thoughts on this? I'm just curious.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I just wanted to start a discussion about pinching the paint. The pre-season stuff I've been to for NCAA women's and men's as well as my main HS assignor's camp have really been stressing this. Personally I'm a little uncomfortable being there, but I'm working on it. It is just a big change in thought but I can see the benefits as far as getting better angles. Anyone else with thoughts on this? I'm just curious.

I think is a good concept to use especially in 3 whistles. It allows you to maintain your angles and shorten the distance across the lane once the ball swing opposite of your initial location. One thing you must be mindful of is when you pinch the paint don't pinch the endline(the closer towards it) it will distort you depth perception
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:59am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not know what about pinching the paint, but I have been taught to close down. And closing down is what you do when the ball is on the other side of the lane and you are about to rotate. You do not stay in that position very long and if the ball kicks back to your side, you move out to mirror the ball to some extent.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 12:08pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not know what about pinching the paint,
"Pinch the paint" is an expression that means to take a step into the paint to officiate certain situations. Perhaps a drive that comes from the C side, or a spin move on the opposite block. It's trying to get people out of the mindset that it's ALWAYS bad to be between the lane lines.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 12:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

If that is what that means, then that is a bad idea in my opinion. You are not going to have a very good angle and you also might get hurt. And that is not something I would ever teach.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
It is being taught extensively on the women's side. I was at Patty Broderick's camp in Chicago and if you don't pinch for her, you don't work for her. She watched me work a game and physically pushed me over into the paint (I kinda liked it!!! HAHA!!) Once you master it, it really does give you a much better view when accepting a play coming from C, or the spin move like Scrapper said. When in Rome.....

CLH
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

This is what the CCA mechanic book says about "pinching the paint."

"Pinching the paint" is when the lead, from the close-down position, takes a step or two into the imaginary extended paint area when a drive is coming from the center's side of the court or down the middle.

"The lead still has secondary coverage in this play, with the official where the play originated having primary coverage. As soon as the drive is complete and shot is taken, the lead should take a position for the best possible rebounding coverage. That will typically be back to the close-down position."

To my understanding, the use of this technique is to help the "C" with secondary defender. Often by just being in the "close down" position, the lead official gets "straightline" with the player driving to the basket and the secondary defender. I think it helps getting a better look at the play and using this technique will increase the chances of calling the play right.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
This is what the CCA mechanic book says about "pinching the paint."
Which book would that be? There is not just one CCA book.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Which book would that be? There is not just one CCA book.

Peace
2007-2008 CCA- Collegiate Commissioner Association. Women's Basketball Officiating.

Page 21
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH
and if you don't pinch for her, you don't work for her.
There's a woman around here who uses that philosophy with her employees. Her name is Madame Candy.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
There's a woman around here who uses that philosophy with her employees. Her name is Madame Candy.
She once offered me a night of "super sex." I said, "At my age, I'd better have the soup."
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
2007-2008 CCA- Collegiate Commissioner Association. Women's Basketball Officiating.

Page 21
I have never heard that taught in Men's basketball. I do not see any such terminology anywhere in the CCA Men's book. Men's and Women's mechanics are very different for a reason.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
She once offered me a night of "super sex." I said, "At my age, I'd better have the soup."
Also...

At my age, the only thing hot waiting for me in my dressing room is a bowl of soup

Say good night Gracie...
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have never heard that taught in Men's basketball. I do not see any such terminology anywhere in the CCA Men's book. Men's and Women's mechanics are very different for a reason.

Peace
You are correct. This technique is for the women's side only.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Just a twinkie for me, thanks.