The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 10:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Just curious as to how many of you out there ever use the "staccato" whistle technique? If so, for what do you use it. I use it sometimes for a travel but that's about it.
Does that call excite you? "A little traveling music", perhaps?
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 10:55am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Just curious as to how many of you out there ever use the "staccato" whistle technique? If so, for what do you use it. I use it sometimes for a travel but that's about it.
Personally, only when I want to get their attention...usually if opponents want to yap at each other and something might break out. Loud as I can too.....
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I also use it for a travel occasionally, and sometimes for a PC foul as well...shouldn't really use it at all (or so I am told), but man talk about a tough habit to break! It seems like it usually just "comes out" when I get a call that I wasn't expecting to see like "did he really just do that?!?!? hold up a second!"
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 11:03am
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Does that call excite you? "A little traveling music", perhaps?

And "awaaaaaay we go"!

Jackie Gleason giving dancing lessons (definitely not golf lessons) to Arnold Palmer!
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is this technique??..
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 11:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
What is this technique??..
Tweet! Tweet! Tweeeeet!
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Tweet! Tweet! Tweeeeet!
Thats what I thought, but... you never know. Thanks.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

One long sharp blast.

This can be practiced by loosely holding the whistle with your lips and blow it with enough force to blow it out of your mouth...had a hearing impaired official with a weak whistle, he couldn't hear it, and this helped him a lot.

Other whistle tips:

Don't have it in your mouth when you toss the jump ball.

Find out what the local view is on whistles for bringing in subs...in my area it's a no-no.

Don't blow it on every throw-in.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
One long sharp blast.

This can be practiced by loosely holding the whistle with your lips and blow it with enough force to blow it out of your mouth...had a hearing impaired official with a weak whistle, he couldn't hear it, and this helped him a lot.

Other whistle tips:

Don't have it in your mouth when you toss the jump ball.

Find out what the local view is on whistles for bringing in subs...in my area it's a no-no.

Just don't hold it too loosley b/c the one time you go to blow it and it pops out without a "tweet", good luck finding it and making the call once transition has started the other way...I've done it, not fun....but better than not calling an obvious foul, for instance..
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:19pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Good addition to post, I hate when officials -errrr- referees do that.
I'm thinking they are either attempting to get my attention or a violation has occured. Some guys just like blowing the 40 (or volleyball whistle in some cases) entirely too much!

Remember the object is to blow the whistle as least as possible...
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

make sure it is in your mouth. it is really hard to find otherwise.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Just don't hold it too loosley b/c the one time you go to blow it and it pops out without a "tweet", good luck finding it and making the call once transition has started the other way...I've done it, not fun....but better than not calling an obvious foul, for instance..
I said practice.

During games you hold it with your teeth and put the tip of your tongue in it to keep from the accidental beep from exhaling.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Remember the object is to blow the whistle as least as possible...
I would disagree, but perhaps only slightly. The purpose of blowing the whistle is to communicate. So if it doesn't communicate anything, definitely don't blow it. But don't pass on the whistle when it would be useful just on the premise that you want to blow it as little as possible.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I said practice.

During games you hold it with your teeth and put the tip of your tongue in it to keep from the accidental beep from exhaling.
Or get in shape so you don't sound like a 500lb guy running a marathon with a whistle in your mouth when you go up and down the floor KIDDING!
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

As an old woodwind player, I notice a definite difference in the sound of the whistle between "toungers" and "huffers."

Huffers use only airflow to start and stop the flow of air into the whistle. This can lead to a whistle that ramps up at the beginning and tapers off at the end. In my experience it's easier to let uncertainty, etc. "leak" into your whistle blast with this technique.

Toungers create air pressure in the same way as huffers, but use the tounge on the end of the whistle to start and top the flow of air into it. This gives a consistent tone to the entire sound, and a very crisp start and stop.