The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Working the whistle. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39072-working-whistle.html)

Bearfanmike20 Tue Oct 23, 2007 02:55pm

Working the whistle.

Ok.. so I'm about to do my first game within the next week or 2. I've been studying my rules and my mechanics clinic is on Nov 3rd.

My question is this... How do you guys work the wistle. Its one of the things not covered in the book. When to blow the whistle.. how many times... so on and so on.

any whistle tips would be welcome.

Thanks

KSRef07 Tue Oct 23, 2007 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
Ok.. so I'm about to do my first game within the next week or 2. I've been studying my rules and my mechanics clinic is on Nov 3rd.

My question is this... How do you guys work the wistle. Its one of the things not covered in the book. When to blow the whistle.. how many times... so on and so on.

Thanks

1. Blow it with confidence. Not too long and not too soft. One blast unless you have a potential dangerous situation and there is no response by players. Get a Fox 40 whistle. Do not use a Pea whistle.
2. Any violation
3. To signal Jump ball
4. Any foul
5. After any lengthy delay to signal the ball becoming in play
6. After a TO or intermission to signal ball becoming in play.
7. After a made final FT if there is a sub.
8. At start of game if tossing the ball to signal the game is about to begin.
9. Out of bounds
10. Any time the clock needs to stop

Don't blow it for general substitutions - call them in.

Anything else fellow posters? (My apologies to JR if I missed anything or if he likes to blow it long) :D

Ref in PA Tue Oct 23, 2007 03:08pm

A few years ago I worked with a rookie on his first game. He was a football ref also. He started sounding his whistle after every score because that is what they do in football - DON'T DO THAT.

You started a thread a couple of days ago that had some good information in it: http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=38959

Bearfanmike20 Tue Oct 23, 2007 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref in PA
A few years ago I worked with a rookie on his first game. He was a football ref also. He started sounding his whistle after every score because that is what they do in football - DON'T DO THAT.

You started a thread a couple of days ago that had some good information in it: http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=38959

Oh I know.. I was specifically looking for whistle mechanics. Thats why the new thread. ;)

I know it seems silly, but its important. At least.. I think its important to work the whistle correctly.

Scrapper1 Tue Oct 23, 2007 03:19pm

Quote:

I know it seems silly, but its important. At least.. I think its important to work the whistle correctly.

It is important. Your whistle can convey confidence, it can convey uncertainty, it can convey arrogance ("look at me!"). In general, your whistle should be sounded with a single, sharp blast. Most new officials don't blow the whistle strongly enough. Go ahead and really blow it!

You should blow the whistle anytime you want the clock to stop, any time you want play to stop (even when the clock is already stopped), or any time you are about to start playing after a delay. (The delay could be a time-out, an intermission, an injury, a bookkeeping problem that had to be resolved, etc.)

Coltdoggs Tue Oct 23, 2007 03:22pm

In my first year, a vet told me to blow the whistle like you were in an arena with 20K screaming fans....I wasn't putting enough air in it and it wasn't sounding confident....

Pretty much what KS said....

On the subs...if you need to get their attention at the table if you are opposite floor, I will give a couple of quick chirps and wave them in.

Make strong calls and "sell them" with good mechanics....After you get your first call, you'll settle in...

Last bit of advice I can give you is just slow down....the game isn't going anywhere without you....no need to hurry on reporting....when you do blow the whistle, repeat the offender's # and the offended to yourself as you walk to the table so you remember who the call is on and who your potential shooter is....Nothing like heading to the table and having a brain fart on the player who committed the foul....Not that I've ever had that happen! :D

Bad Zebra Tue Oct 23, 2007 08:42pm

One other whistle tip...I had an ACC official tell me that your resumption of play whistle after a time out or intermission should be a fraction longer than your standard foul or violation blast. I guess his point was that it's a "Hey, we're ready to play" indicator to everyone within earshot. Not sure if that's standard practice, but it does seem to sound a little better to me, anyway.

Mark Padgett Tue Oct 23, 2007 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. .

Is this a reference to Congress? :rolleyes:

Bad Zebra Tue Oct 23, 2007 09:46pm

It can be...or it can be sports fans in a gym...or management of a company...a group of protesters...the audience at the Emmy Awards...Anna Nichole's Former Lovers Support Group...The OJ Fan Club...possibilities are really endless :D

Splute Tue Oct 23, 2007 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Is this a reference to Congress? :rolleyes:

SWEET!!!:D Never a dull moment....

Mark Dexter Tue Oct 23, 2007 09:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref in PA

Similarly (if you've worked football), in basketball, you keep the whistle in your mouth at all times.

RookieDude Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:06pm

Quote:

Thanks

Great tips...
I have a tip for newbies concerning "working the whistle".

Don't hold on to it like a pacifier. Many new officials either keep the whistle in their mouth (after they have blown it) or walk around holding the whistle in their hand.

Blow the damn thing like ya got a pair...and then be rid of it. ;)

truerookie Wed Oct 24, 2007 01:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
you keep the whistle in your mouth at all times.

Except on Jump Ball situation and when you take a pee!!.;)

mick Wed Oct 24, 2007 07:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
You should blow the whistle anytime you want the clock to stop, any time you want play to stop (even when the clock is already stopped), or any time you are about to start playing after a delay. (The delay could be a time-out, an intermission, an injury, a bookkeeping problem that had to be resolved, etc.)

I'd like to add, the whistle may be blown to get your partner's attention if you want partner to wait to administer the ball.
  • sub at the the table waiting to enter.
  • question from table.
  • stuff on the floor.
  • not enough players.
  • too many players.
:)

Do not echo a partner's whistle.

Mark Padgett Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:35am

Just curious as to how many of you out there ever use the "staccato" whistle technique? If so, for what do you use it. I use it sometimes for a travel but that's about it.