The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

throw in situation, team a inbounds freethrow line extended in back court with 6.4 sec. on the game clock. a1 throws the ball inbounds, the ball bounces once and b3 kicks the ball and it immediately goes of bounds. as you are about to administer the next throw in you glance at the clock and it now reads 5.9.
1. what would you do?
2. not do?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

I'd have the clock reset back to 6.4 seconds.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 03:32am
Official Forum Member

I agree, reset the clock because it was not touched legally inbounds.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

If you didn't chop in time on the kick, i would reset to 6.4 if you can. I would also notify the person on the clock to not start it until you chop.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
If you didn't chop in time on the kick, i would reset to 6.4 if you can. I would also notify the person on the clock to not start it until you chop.
You have definite knowledge of when the violation occurred; I would reset to 6.4 even if the chop was given.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Under NFHS rules, the clock is started when the ball is touched inbounds. It doesn't matter whether it legally touched or illegally touched. This is not a timer's mistake, as he did exactly what he was supposed to. The timer has one second of lag time to stop the clock. I'd say, to start and stop it within a half second, you had a pretty good timer. 5-9-4, 5.10.1

daves, while your advice may seem sensible, that is not the rule. 5-9-1

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef The timer has one second of lag time to stop the clock.
You nailed it, 5.10.1D; TODAY you are right
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Under NFHS rules, the clock is started when the ball is touched inbounds. It doesn't matter whether it legally touched or illegally touched. This is not a timer's mistake, as he did exactly what he was supposed to. The timer has one second of lag time to stop the clock. I'd say, to start and stop it within a half second, you had a pretty good timer. 5-9-4, 5.10.1

daves, while your advice may seem sensible, that is not the rule. 5-9-1
under NCAA rules, the clock starts when it legally touches or is touched by a player inbounds. 5-11-4.

I agree with everyone that has stated, "reset the clock back to 6.4 and let the timer know to look for your chop."

this is another one of those situations where the NCAA rule is 100% better than the h.s. rule (e.g., jumper catches the ball at the start of game. h.s.- offended team gets ball and arrow. ncaa- offended team gets ball, but offending team gets arrow). i could go on and on.

Jake

Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
throw in situation, team a inbounds freethrow line extended in back court with 6.4 sec. on the game clock. a1 throws the ball inbounds, the ball bounces once and b3 kicks the ball and it immediately goes of bounds. as you are about to administer the next throw in you glance at the clock and it now reads 5.9.
1. what would you do?
2. not do?
Crew, not again!!

We went through a GPS of this type a year or two ago. Caused more consternation than all of your GPS'es combined!!
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slider
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef The timer has one second of lag time to stop the clock.
You nailed it, 5.10.1D; TODAY you are right
We finished our last discussion today as well!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

me, i would restore the time to 6.4. and inbound nearest the spot of the kicked ball. the rule book(nf) does not consistently cover this sitution, in my opinion. that is what makes sense to me.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

5.10.1 situation e, covers this almost exactly. the timer should have never started the clock, therefore if you have def knowledge you can restore the clock exactly.

by the way the nf rule book only says to start the clock when the official chops the clock, or start the clock as per rule. does the nf rule book ever state when to start the clock as per rule(exception- when ref chops). if the book does say when to start the clock i have not found it. nf does not address this situation appropriately.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 09:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
5.10.1 situation e, covers this almost exactly. the timer should have never started the clock, therefore if you have def knowledge you can restore the clock exactly.

by the way the nf rule book only says to start the clock when the official chops the clock, or start the clock as per rule. does the nf rule book ever state when to start the clock as per rule(exception- when ref chops). if the book does say when to start the clock i have not found it. nf does not address this situation appropriately.
Crew - I disagree on both of your points. Case 5.10.1.e has to do with an inbound pass hitting the referee on the floor and then going directly OOB. You would not start the clock if it hit a ref because that is the same as hitting the floor at that spot.

The NF rule book says specifically to start the clock on a throw in "when the ball touches, or is touched by, a player on the court after it is released by the thrower." (NF 5.9.4.) I don't know how much clearer that could be.

In the case sited in this thread, you would chop the clock when the ball touches B3, then whistle the violation. The timer should start the clock on your chop, then stop on your whistle. Half a second could easily run off during that time.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

ok, i overlooked it. my bad, though i would still restore time because the touch and violation occurred simultaneously. this is a very contreversial play that should be addressed by the the NF in my opinion.
Quote:
The NF rule book says specifically to start the clock on a throw in "when the ball touches, or is touched by, a player on the court after it is released by the thrower." (NF 5.9.4.) I don't know how much clearer that could be.

In the case sited in this thread, you would chop the clock when the ball touches B3, then whistle the violation. The timer should start the clock on your chop, then stop on your whistle. Half a second could easily run off during that time. [/B]
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ok, i overlooked it. my bad, though i would still restore time because the touch and violation occurred simultaneously. this is a very contreversial play that should be addressed by the the NF in my opinion.
Should be addressed, but until it is, we have to go by the rule as written.