The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

After #3

Ok, so Saturday night some buddies and I got together and looked up everything on the test. Our big discussion was as to what happens following the situation.

During an alternating-possession throw-in by A1, B2 intentionally kicks the throw-in pass. A1 will be awarded a new throw in opportunity, but the arrow will remain pointed in the direction of A's basket.

We referenced 4-42-5 but different on the interpretation on what happens next. Is the arrow changed once the ensuing throw in has been completed, ie legally touched in bounds, does the arrow change at that point. We differed on how the editorial change was interpreted and haven't been to a state meeting yet.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Ok, so Saturday night some buddies and I got together and looked up everything on the test. Our big discussion was as to what happens following the situation.

During an alternating-possession throw-in by A1, B2 intentionally kicks the throw-in pass. A1 will be awarded a new throw in opportunity, but the arrow will remain pointed in the direction of A's basket.

We referenced 4-42-5 but different on the interpretation on what happens next. Is the arrow changed once the ensuing throw in has been completed, ie legally touched in bounds, does the arrow change at that point. We differed on how the editorial change was interpreted and haven't been to a state meeting yet.
Is the subsequent throw-in an AP throw-in or a throw-in for the violation? That will answer the question.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Is the subsequent throw-in an AP throw-in or a throw-in for the violation? That will answer the question.
Thanks Bob for clarifying the question. The 3 of us could not come to a concensus of that point. The AP throw in was never complete, but we were unclear as to whether or not the ensuing throw-in was an AP throw in or not.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

I had the same question

my best guess was that it was meant to be a throw in based on the violation and therefore the AP arrow would not be affected by the subsequent throw-in; I have to say I am not sure what the logic is behind that approach, but it seems to be what they are getting at; hopefully someone will come along with an actual cite for us
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

2007-2008 Case book Part 1 page 3 4.42.5 exact situation
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Agreed, but that if I recollect, that casebook play does not address the arrow being changed on the ensuing throw-in. No books with me at work to check it out at the moment. I'll have to look again after my last football game of the season tonight.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

that case play does address the situation and it again sounds very much like a violation throw in and not an AP throw in for the second throw, but it certainly would be nicer if had clarified, still I think that it is trying to say that the second throw will not be an AP-throw and the arrow will not change

thanks for the cite
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 04:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Agreed, but that if I recollect, that casebook play does not address the arrow being changed on the ensuing throw-in. No books with me at work to check it out at the moment. I'll have to look again after my last football game of the season tonight.
Jeff, the consensus here is that the arrow will not change. Since the AP throwin is never completed, the arrow will stay with A until the next AP situation. The 2nd throwin is for the violation, not the AP.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Yep, the new case book play says that the arrow does not change even after the second throw-in, which is for the kicking violation and is not an AP throw-in. The arrow has nothing to do with that throw-in.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 06:47pm
KSRef07

Quote:

TRUE. For the second attempt under your scenario it still points to A but when the second attempt is legally completed in flips to B. This is because the "throw in" has not been completed due to the kick. It HAS been completed after the second throw in (under a normal scenario). Last year it would have flipped to B after the kicked ball and stayed there because the throw in was legally completed at that point.

Last edited by KSRef07; Mon Oct 22, 2007 at 06:52pm.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
TRUE. For the second attempt under your scenario it still points to A but when the second attempt is legally completed in flips to B. This is because the "throw in" has not been completed due to the kick. It HAS been completed after the second throw in (under a normal scenario).
This is incorrect. The arrow stays with A after the second throw-in is completed, because the second throw-in is for the kicking violation.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 07:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
TRUE. For the second attempt under your scenario it still points to A but when the second attempt is legally completed in flips to B. This is because the "throw in" has not been completed due to the kick. It HAS been completed after the second throw in (under a normal scenario). Last year it would have flipped to B after the kicked ball and stayed there because the throw in was legally completed at that point.
Nope, false.

Other posters have already referred you above to the proper rules citation. It's on page 3 of this year's rule book.....case play 4.42.5. Don't you bother checking out the rules citations when they're given?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 07:45pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Nope, false.

Other posters have already referred you above to the proper rules citation. It's on page 3 of this year's rule book.....case play 4.42.5. Don't you bother checking out the rules citations when they're given?
First, calm down. My answer to Q#3 is TRUE. Second, for some reason I was thinking since the throw in had not been completed under the new rule, that the AP situation was still continuing during the subsequent throw in. My mistake.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 07:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
First, calm down.
Hey, who said I wasn't calm? I'm always calm...to the point of being comatose at times. And speaking of point(s), my point was that you might be better off actually reading what other posters have said before saying something contradictory that is obviously wrong.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 08:01pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Hey, who said I wasn't calm? I'm always calm...to the point of being comatose at times. And speaking of point(s), my point was that you might be better off actually reading what other posters have said before saying something contradictory that is obviously wrong.
If all the others posters are correct and it is obvious we only need one post - right?

It's so obvious about 40% will miss it on the test.