The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   After #3 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39047-after-3-a.html)

Junker Mon Oct 22, 2007 02:51pm

After #3

Ok, so Saturday night some buddies and I got together and looked up everything on the test. Our big discussion was as to what happens following the situation.

During an alternating-possession throw-in by A1, B2 intentionally kicks the throw-in pass. A1 will be awarded a new throw in opportunity, but the arrow will remain pointed in the direction of A's basket.

We referenced 4-42-5 but different on the interpretation on what happens next. Is the arrow changed once the ensuing throw in has been completed, ie legally touched in bounds, does the arrow change at that point. We differed on how the editorial change was interpreted and haven't been to a state meeting yet.

bob jenkins Mon Oct 22, 2007 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
Ok, so Saturday night some buddies and I got together and looked up everything on the test. Our big discussion was as to what happens following the situation.

During an alternating-possession throw-in by A1, B2 intentionally kicks the throw-in pass. A1 will be awarded a new throw in opportunity, but the arrow will remain pointed in the direction of A's basket.

We referenced 4-42-5 but different on the interpretation on what happens next. Is the arrow changed once the ensuing throw in has been completed, ie legally touched in bounds, does the arrow change at that point. We differed on how the editorial change was interpreted and haven't been to a state meeting yet.

Is the subsequent throw-in an AP throw-in or a throw-in for the violation? That will answer the question.

Junker Mon Oct 22, 2007 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Is the subsequent throw-in an AP throw-in or a throw-in for the violation? That will answer the question.

Thanks Bob for clarifying the question. The 3 of us could not come to a concensus of that point. The AP throw in was never complete, but we were unclear as to whether or not the ensuing throw-in was an AP throw in or not.

boiseball Mon Oct 22, 2007 03:25pm

I had the same question

my best guess was that it was meant to be a throw in based on the violation and therefore the AP arrow would not be affected by the subsequent throw-in; I have to say I am not sure what the logic is behind that approach, but it seems to be what they are getting at; hopefully someone will come along with an actual cite for us

FrankHtown Mon Oct 22, 2007 03:35pm

2007-2008 Case book Part 1 page 3 4.42.5 exact situation

Junker Mon Oct 22, 2007 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHtown

Agreed, but that if I recollect, that casebook play does not address the arrow being changed on the ensuing throw-in. No books with me at work to check it out at the moment. I'll have to look again after my last football game of the season tonight.

boiseball Mon Oct 22, 2007 03:50pm

that case play does address the situation and it again sounds very much like a violation throw in and not an AP throw in for the second throw, but it certainly would be nicer if had clarified, still I think that it is trying to say that the second throw will not be an AP-throw and the arrow will not change

thanks for the cite

Adam Mon Oct 22, 2007 04:22pm

Quote:

Agreed, but that if I recollect, that casebook play does not address the arrow being changed on the ensuing throw-in. No books with me at work to check it out at the moment. I'll have to look again after my last football game of the season tonight.

Jeff, the consensus here is that the arrow will not change. Since the AP throwin is never completed, the arrow will stay with A until the next AP situation. The 2nd throwin is for the violation, not the AP.

Nevadaref Mon Oct 22, 2007 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHtown

Yep, the new case book play says that the arrow does not change even after the second throw-in, which is for the kicking violation and is not an AP throw-in. The arrow has nothing to do with that throw-in.

KSRef07 Mon Oct 22, 2007 06:47pm

Quote:

TRUE. For the second attempt under your scenario it still points to A but when the second attempt is legally completed in flips to B. This is because the "throw in" has not been completed due to the kick. It HAS been completed after the second throw in (under a normal scenario). Last year it would have flipped to B after the kicked ball and stayed there because the throw in was legally completed at that point.

M&M Guy Mon Oct 22, 2007 07:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSRef07
TRUE. For the second attempt under your scenario it still points to A <font color = red>but when the second attempt is legally completed in flips to B. This is because the "throw in" has not been completed due to the kick. It HAS been completed after the second throw in (under a normal scenario).</font color>

This is incorrect. The arrow stays with A after the second throw-in is completed, because the second throw-in is for the kicking violation.

Jurassic Referee Mon Oct 22, 2007 07:30pm

Quote:

TRUE. For the second attempt under your scenario it still points to A but <font color = red>when the second attempt is legally completed in flips to B</font>. This is because the "throw in" has not been completed due to the kick. It HAS been completed after the second throw in (under a normal scenario). Last year it would have flipped to B after the kicked ball and stayed there because the throw in was legally completed at that point.

Nope, false.

Other posters have already referred you above to the proper rules citation. It's on page 3 of this year's rule book.....case play 4.42.5. Don't you bother checking out the rules citations when they're given?

KSRef07 Mon Oct 22, 2007 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Nope, false.

Other posters have already referred you above to the proper rules citation. It's on page 3 of this year's rule book.....case play 4.42.5. Don't you bother checking out the rules citations when they're given?

First, calm down. My answer to Q#3 is TRUE. Second, for some reason I was thinking since the throw in had not been completed under the new rule, that the AP situation was still continuing during the subsequent throw in. My mistake. :eek:

Jurassic Referee Mon Oct 22, 2007 07:56pm

Quote:

First, calm down.

Hey, who said I wasn't calm? I'm always calm...to the point of being comatose at times. And speaking of point(s), my point was that you might be better off actually reading what other posters have said before saying something contradictory that is obviously wrong.

KSRef07 Mon Oct 22, 2007 08:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Hey, who said I wasn't calm? I'm always calm...to the point of being comatose at times. And speaking of point(s), my point was that you might be better off actually reading what other posters have said before saying something contradictory that is obviously wrong.

If all the others posters are correct and it is obvious we only need one post - right? :D

It's so obvious about 40% will miss it on the test. :cool: