The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Are you fans too??.... or just refs

I ask this because I have this fear... LOL

I am a new ref, and will be doing my first game very soon. I've always been a big fan of the sport, and when I would watch a game.. even a jv or elementary game I would say "wow" for a good play...

I'm sooo afraid that I'm gonna do the same thing while reffing.

So my question is.. have any of you ever done that.. while reffing a game?
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

I've said wow...under my breath and in my head... There's nothing wrong with appreciating an excellent play in a game you're officiating. HOWEVER, be sure to always check yourself and not give that player/team an unfair advantage in your head. I'm sure we've all done that.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

absolutely i'm a fan otherwise i wouldn't be doing it...the $$ is one thing, but the $$ by itself isn't worth the time given up if you can't be a fan of the game....that being said, you can't be an "outward" fan obviously during the game, nor can you let being a fan influence the way you call a game....on the flip side you don't have to be a robot either...for instance, i've said many times to a player "great play 42, now walk away" if a guy blocks a shot, or "good effort 42, almost got there" on a close block/charge where i have a block...you can be human, you can appreciate the game and great plays, just don't be a cheerleader on the court! some guys will probably tell you that you shouldn't say anything to a player other than to give a brief explanation of a play if asked, but this has worked for me...
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Good points, kbilla. There's nothing wrong with saying "good hustle" on a scrum for a jump ball. "Good block...walk away." That's just preventative officiating imo.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 10:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

We're still fans, but after a while, we start to watch the game differently.
The more you do this, the more objectively you start to watch games; even games with your favorite team.

That said, there will be moments where you want to drop your jaw. Just don't let anyone see you.

When I first started, I had one of those in a 7th grade girls game (seriously). She was in a class by herself in this game, and went on to lead her college to a national championship, earning tournament MVP honors. Her brother did the same thing for the same college that year, and her Dad (her college coach) won NAIA women's coach of the year that year. It was a hell of a cross-over for a 12 year old girl.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

I agree with everything said so far. You should be a fan of the game to enjoy working it. That's why I don't officiate volleyball; I was never a big fan of the game, so it would be hard for me to spend the time needed learning the game. (There's something different about naked beach volleyball though, right JR?...)

Snaqs is also right - if you do enough games you'll start to look at them differently as an official rather than as a fan. I don't know how many times I've sat next to friends at an Illinois game when the official makes a call (say, a travel) against an IL player, I'll be saying "Travel" under my breath, and my friends will jump up and say, "Aw, c'mon ref, that's not a travel!". I'll look at them and say, "Yes it is, because his left foot was the pivot, and he obviously lifted and replaced it before shooting". They'll look at me and go, "Oh. Well, we don't want it to be a travel...".

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 10:50am
certified Hot Mom tester

When I'm training refs in our kids rec league, I tell them that if a 3rd or 4th grader actually makes a free throw, go over and shake his/her hand. It really "humanizes" the game. The parents and the kids both love it.

I'm a big fan of seeing the younger kids do something great. I had a 7th grader dunk in a game once (he was about 6'3"). The place went nuts. I actually called an official's timeout so everyone could congratulate him. You can do this kind of thing in a rec league.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Yes,

From the baseball side it is traditional to look at a player that made a great play and pat your thigh. Good players get it.

Regards,
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 12:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
From the baseball side it is traditional to look at a player that made a great play and pat your thigh. Good players get it.

Regards,
Just so you don't tap your toe, you're OK.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I appreciate a good play in my head, but that's a good play by either team. To me, being a fan implies preferring one team over the other. Once in a while, I"ll get into a situation where I'm working with a team that I really like, and I wish they'd win. Then I have a little self-talk that I keep reviewing in my head to be sure I"m not calling in their favor. Generally, I'm more likely to call it too tough on them, though.

And I"ve got no problem with telling a player, "Great job!" Or "Good shot!" especially someone who's struggling, or losing badly.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 01:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
And I"ve got no problem with telling a player, "Great job!" Or "Good shot!" especially someone who's struggling, or losing badly.
Sometimes, when an experienced player shoots an air ball on a FT (when there's another shot to come), I'll say to him, "Well that sucked". It almost always gets a laugh.

Oh yeah, I usually don't do that late in a close game.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
When I'm training refs in our kids rec league, I tell them that if a 3rd or 4th grader actually makes a free throw, go over and shake his/her hand. It really "humanizes" the game. The parents and the kids both love it.

I'm a big fan of seeing the younger kids do something great. I had a 7th grader dunk in a game once (he was about 6'3"). The place went nuts. I actually called an official's timeout so everyone could congratulate him. You can do this kind of thing in a rec league.
Bad advice but I'm trying to figure out if this is a joke or not...with this guy you never know.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen
Bad advice but I'm trying to figure out if this is a joke or not...with this guy you never know.
With Mark, my guess is he actually did these things. But, if you look, he also said, "You can do this kind of thing in a rec league game." That's the key. Also look at the age of the kids where he shakes their hand after a made FT. I would not recommend it outside of where he has done it. And you need to have the right personality to pull it off even in these very limited situations.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 02:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
So my question is.. have any of you ever done that.. while reffing a game?
Absolutely. I love a 30' bounce pass to a cutter racing to the hoop. I love a 30' jump-swish. I love a monster homer and a back-breaking slider as much as I love a knuckler that comes in whispering, "Ffffftttttt!"
My response is often audible, ... but I don't applaud.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 02:35pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Personally, I will say something about great hustle or effort, but I do not ever say anything about a great play. I don't want the player that just got beat on that great drive to hear me say, "Nice move". But I don't think anyone will be upset if a kid dives to save a ball from going out of bounds and they hear me say, "Nice hustle".

P.S. -- I would never say "That sucked", even in jest.