The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 11:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Unhappy How not to enforce Bench Decorum

MS girls AAU. We did not address it quickly and decisively enough, and ended up slacking on the rule a bit; and I’m not happy with how it turned out.
Visiting coaches (three coaches, no clear HC) all think they can be standing at any given time. We informed them that only one can be off the bench (here was the first mistake), and he looks at me like I just told him the earth is flat.

At this point (the ball was dead), I should have called a quick conference at the table and informed both coaches that only the head coach could stand (one team may have had to make a decision). Instead, we allowed them to have one coach up at a time (yep, this was the 2nd mistake). We figured it was some sort of compromise that might work (not really).

Fast forward (still first quarter); partner is reporting a foul, and visiting coaches are all up again. Partner tells them they need to be seated, and one coach mouths off with, “that’s just stupid.” Whack. Rather than seat belt the coaches, partner considers it a bench T with no indirect on the coach (third mistake). Now, home team is often having their asst coach up, and we end up addressing that with a T in the 2nd quarter. For consistency’s sake, we give them the same courtesy, and no one is seatbelted.

Fourth quarter, home asst. coach is whining about what he considers a missed travel call. I’m ignoring it until my partner calls a travel on the home team on the other end of the court. Asst. pulls out the sarcasm, loudly, giving me no choice. Now, we seatbelt the home team. There were no further incidents.

It just would have been a lot cleaner if we'd addressed it with both coaches as soon as I saw there was going to be a problem. More importantly, sticking with the rule as it's written would have been even more effective.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 11:35am
Courageous When Prudent

At least you recognized your own mistakes. I'm sure these things won't happen again in any of your games.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Geez Adam! Do you need me to fly out there and take care of your coaches for you? Sounds like way too many problems for an 8th grade AAU game. As always, nip it in the bud.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Head Coach and Asst. Coach are both standing.
Me: "Coach, I can only have the Head Coach standing, your Asst. needs to sit down. Thanks for your help."
Coach (to Asst.): "Sit down."

End of discussion.

If they don't want to follow the rules set forth . . .

Coach's Asst. gets up again.
Me: "Coach, your Asst. needs to sit down. This is your warning." I then inform my partners of the warning.
Coach (to Asst.): "SIT DOWN, and don't get up again."

End of discussion.

Coach's Asst. gets up again.
Me: TWEET! "Technical Foul on Team A. Coach, you and your asst. will need to remain seated for the remainder of the game. Thank you."

Shoot two, inbound the ball. End of discussion.

IMO, you let it go too far. I am sure you were just trying to be accomodating, but that is why you only have ONE Head Coach. In fact, I don't talk with assistant coaches. They are there to coach their kids. (however, if they (asst.) ask a question during a time-out or during intermissions, and they are courteous and professional, I will answer the question. There is no reason to be rude.)
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 11:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Geez Adam! Do you need me to fly out there and take care of your coaches for you? Sounds like way too many problems for an 8th grade AAU game. As always, nip it in the bud.
Yup. Should have taken the bullet out of my pocket sooner, right Deputy Fife?
Actually, overall, the game didn't go too badly. Other than a preponderance of travels and having 4 girls foul out.... 7 minute quarters took about 1:45 to complete. Bottom line, I'll take this as an experiment in bench decorum.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

I feel your pain......

This kind of thing tends to be more of a problem at the MS/JH level and you have to stop it early.

I try to be proactive - if before the game I see more than one coach, I ask explicitly who is the head coach, then tell them right then that they are the only one allowed to stand to coach. The first time an assistant stands when they shouldn't or starts to get mouthy, I tell the previously identified head coach "Get your bench under control". Next time it happens, immediate T and now no one from that team gets to stand.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

I work with some lower level officials that don't do pregame meetings. I always do a short one mainly for the coaches just to let them know that they don't get to act like the guys they see on TV. It seems to help.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
It just would have been a lot cleaner if we'd addressed it with both coaches as soon as I saw there was going to be a problem.
We do what Tim suggests also. We tell our officials to address this before the game starts. When they introduce themselves to the coaches pre-game, they find out fer sure who the head coach is, and inform him/her at that time that he/she will be the only coach allowed to stand/talk. If they then wanna try something different later during the game, hey, they've been warned.

Works for us(if the guys do what they're told to do).
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Can't find it.....

I am trying to find stuff on the pre-game conference in the rules or casebooks. But alas it is not there. i know in volleyball it is mandatory for the head coach to attend. Anything similar in basketball ?
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Question Could the first T have been avoided?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Fast forward (still first quarter); partner is reporting a foul, and visiting coaches are all up again. Partner tells them they need to be seated, and one coach mouths off with, “that’s just stupid.” Whack.
Since my personal POE this year is dealing with coaches, I'm going to ask a rather pedantic question. What about this statement earned the coach the T? Was it his attitude? On it's face, the statement merely expresses the coach's unhappiness with the rule. Could your partner have gotten out of this by saying something like: "I don't make the rules, coach, but I do have to enforce them."?
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I am trying to find stuff on the pre-game conference in the rules or casebooks. But alas it is not there. i know in volleyball it is mandatory for the head coach to attend. Anything similar in basketball ?
It's on p.91 of the OFFICIALS MANUAL.

Excerpt:
- "Greet head coaches, address sporting behavior expectations, and check on legality of player
equipment".
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I believe it's in the official's manual, though I don't recall if it says the head coaches must attend. Here in Utah, however, our state office has mandated that the head coach must attend.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
It's on p.91 of the OFFICIALS MANUAL.

Excerpt:
- "Greet head coaches, address sporting behavior expectations, and check on legality of player
equipment".
Dang you're fast, JR
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
What about this statement earned the coach the T? Was it his attitude? On it's face, the statement merely expresses the coach's unhappiness with the rule. Could your partner have gotten out of this by saying something like: "I don't make the rules, coach, but I do have to enforce them."?
Well....maybe the fact that he just said "That's just stupid"?

That rule been in for a million years. Every coach in the world knows it that the assistant coaches can't stand. There's no way that any coach waited until this particular time in this particular game to say "Gee, I really don't like this rule".

Why try to "get out" of calling any very well deserved technical foul? Dealing with coaches sureasheck doesn't mean that you're gonna let them crap all over you imo. Nip it! Nip it in the bud!
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 02:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Here in Utah, however, our state office has mandated that the head coach must attend.
Quite a few states have made the pre-game coach/official conference mandatory, along with mandatory topics like sportsmanship. Or sportswomanship(added so that I don't piss Juulie off- again).