The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

I also tell the table not to blow the horn unless the sub is at the X and we don't see them.

I only blow the whistle when my partner doesn't make eye contact or the sub isn't paying attention.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
C
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
A
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 11:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Surroundings

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
We have some disagreement in our group on Beckoning Subs into the game.

NFHS rules and officials manual uses the word "beckon".

How many of you that work high school:
a)Crack the whistle all the time (like NCAA)
b)Never crack the whistle under any circumstances
c)Only crack the whistle when needing to get the subs or your partners attention.
A and C.

A for when we are in a loud gym and blowing the whistle is much more necessary.

C after I have blown the whistle or when we already have the attention of the official putting the ball in.

I think in the end it depends on the surroundings.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I also tell the table not to blow the horn unless the sub is at the X and we don't see them.

I only blow the whistle when my partner doesn't make eye contact or the sub isn't paying attention.
I agree with BBRef on this one. I prefer not to have the horn - particularly if I see the sub and the table sees me looking at the sub and "beckoning" them in.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

I agree with BBRef on this one. I prefer not to have the horn - particularly if I see the sub and the table sees me looking at the sub and "beckoning" them in.
The above approaches are what I try to follow; HOWEVER; I have one gym, in particular, with a retired couple (husband and wife) for the book (her) and clock (him). Every pre-game I specifically give instructions on how we (officials) will beckon the subs on the court. Hold the horn, unless we don't see them, then "buzz" them in.

Without fail, EVERY sub that reports to the table gets a horn regardless of the situation (Following FTs, during dead ball, etc) . Many times, the horn comes after the official has blasted the whistle to beckon the sub. OY!
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 10:01am
In Memoriam

[/B][/QUOTE]

[/B][/QUOTE]

The above approaches are what I try to follow; HOWEVER; I have one gym, in particular, with a retired couple (husband and wife) for the book (her) and clock (him). Every pre-game I specifically give instructions on how we (officials) will beckon the subs on the court. Hold the horn, unless we don't see them, then "buzz" them in.

Without fail, EVERY sub that reports to the table gets a horn regardless of the situation (Following FTs, during dead ball, etc) . Many times, the horn comes after the official has blasted the whistle to beckon the sub. OY! [/B][/QUOTE]Did you ever think that the retired couple are both ex-coaches,Willie?:
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
[/B][/QUOTE]

Without fail, EVERY sub that reports to the table gets a horn regardless of the situation (Following FTs, during dead ball, etc) . Many times, the horn comes after the official has blasted the whistle to beckon the sub. OY! [/B][/QUOTE]Did you ever think that the retired couple are both ex-coaches,Willie?: [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey Raptor-breath...

They may know your daddy!... They are SENIOR citizens. I would speculate they ran the clock and book for Mr. Naismith.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 10:32am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
[/B]
Hey Raptor-breath...

They may know your daddy!... They are SENIOR citizens. I would speculate they ran the clock and book for Mr. Naismith. [/B][/QUOTE]:
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
Actually I can only speak for NCAA Women's ball.
New this year.
Crack the whistle for all throw-ins administrated, (administered, managed, handled, what ever MARK) by Lead. Trail chops in time. All subs get a whistle. Well except for the parade we sometimes see.

[Edited by Ron Pilo on Jan 24th, 2002 at 11:52 PM]
I think that was the mechanic last year (at least, we were using it). Also, I think the Men's mechanic is a whistle on (almost) every administered throw-in.

Also, I should amend may answer of "A" -- I don't blow the whistle for every sub, but I do for every sub situation (That is, if A6 is at the table, I blow the whistle. If B6 now reports, I just beckon B6 in. If my hand goes down and A7 now reports and, for some reason, we want A7 in the game, I'll blow the whistle again.)
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 11:50am
Esteemed Participant

That is correct...and for those who want documentation, check pg. 45 of Women's CCA Officials Manual...
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Question

Verry interesting! Here In BC Canada we play NCAA rules but have not been instructed that A would be the correct answer,. We have only blown the whistle in these situations to gain the other officials attention . We have always been told to avoid blowing the whistle unnecessarily. Tell me more Re: NCAA mechanics from the experts -please!
PISTOL
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

It depends on the gym. I like to go with B if possible. If it is a Frosh or JV game where the gym is relatively empty, I might vocalize to get their attention. The louder the gym the more likely I am to go with C.

Mike