The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Bouncing ball OOB during throw-in

Can the thrower bounce the ball out-of-bounds during a throw-in? The situation in question happened as the thrower "spun" the ball to use the spin to get it in-bounds around a defender. If it is an infraction, what is the call?
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 02:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The ball must be thrown directly onto the court. This is a throw-in violation on A1; ball to team B from the original throwin spot.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

What Snaqwells said.

If you want the reference: 9-2-2
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 03:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes it is. Throwing a pass is not the same as dribbling out of bounds. There is nothing that suggests you cannot dribble out of bounds.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Ref63
Can the thrower bounce the ball out-of-bounds during a throw-in? The situation in question happened as the thrower "spun" the ball to use the spin to get it in-bounds around a defender. If it is an infraction, what is the call?
I trying to picture what is being described here. Did the inbounder put the spin on the ball, bounce it out of bounds (with the spin) and then the ball entered the court?

And, just for total clarity on my part, am I correct that it is permissible to put a spin on the ball that lands inbounds?
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 03:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
I trying to picture what is being described here. Did the inbounder put the spin on the ball, bounce it out of bounds (with the spin) and then the ball entered the court?

And, just for total clarity on my part, am I correct that it is permissible to put a spin on the ball that lands inbounds?
The spin is irrelevant. As Rut said, "dribbling" is fine. The problem is when the thrower passes the ball onto the court and it bounces out of bounds first. If, on the actual in bounds pass, the ball bounces OOB, it is a throwin violation for failure to throw the ball directly onto the playing court.

Again, whether he spins it or not doesn't matter.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Except for spinning in OOB as described here and backcourt (frontcourt status, spin to backcourt & back to front court), I can not think of another time that spinning the ball may be a violation; in the act itself......
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 04:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
I can not think of another time that spinning the ball may be a violation
Especially not at a Globetrotters game!
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Ha, true!! Do they still exist? I quit watching after Meadowlark (sp?) left.... say 20 years ago?
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 04:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
Ha, true!! Do they still exist? I quit watching after Meadowlark (sp?) left.... say 20 years ago?
Yes - and in another thread I posted a link to a youtube video of Mark Cuban refereeing one of their games.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Saw that link, but I am not allowed to Youtube at work... I will look it up after the scrimmages tonight. Lets see.... that was on the "dancing" thread I do believe... too funny.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

THROW-IN VIOLATIONS
9.2.2 SITUATION A: Thrower A1 attempts deception by: (a) causing the ball to carom from the wall behind him/her, or from the floor out of bounds and then into the court; (b) caroming the ball from the back of the backboard to a player in the court; or (c) throwing the ball against the side or the front face of the backboard, after which it rebounds into the hands of A2. RULING: Violation in (a) and (b), since the throw did not go directly inbounds. The throw-in in (c) is legal. The side and front face of the backboard are inbounds and, in this specific situation, are treated the same as the floor inbounds.

9.2.2 SITUATION D: A1 dribbles the ball on floor on the out-of-bounds area before making a throw-in. RULING: Legal, a player may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throw-in.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No spin necessary....

A1, on left side of lane for the throwin...a few steps back from the throwin plane. A1 throws a bounce pass to A2 who is on the right side of the lane near the endline. The ball travels in a straight line but the point at which is bounces is still OOB.

Quote:
Yep, legal.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 06:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

End Line Throw In ??

After a made basket by Team B, Team A has the ball for an end line throw in. I believe that A-1 can bounce pass the ball, out of bounds, along the end line, to A-2, who is also out of bounds, within the five second time limit.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
After a made basket by Team B, Team A has the ball for an end line throw in. I believe that A-1 can bounce pass the ball, out of bounds, along the end line, to A-2, who is also out of bounds, within the five second time limit.
It was this exception to the throw-in requirement that made me question this situation. If the inbounder can legally throw to a teammate OOB after a made basket, could he also use "spin" to bounce the ball OOB and then have it spin in-bounds past a defender?