The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Three pointer made, foul - where is the ball?

Ok, in addition to the traveling call in my other thread, I had one other question from this past weekend that I wasn't sure if it was correctly interpreted?

A1 shoots a three-pointer, A1 lands, B1 blocks out A1 excessively knocking A1 down, shot goes in, foul called.

Ruling on the court was count the basket and Teams A's ball on the side near the foul.

I wasn't clear, but I assumed the ruling was that the foul was after the made basket. I think the foul was before the basket went in, but it was close.

Was this situation interpreted correctly?

Thanks
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

I'm a little confused (which is not too bad compared to my usual state). Are you concerned only with where the ball should have been inbounded or are you questioning whether or not the shot should have counted?

You're not asking if team B should have got the ball to inbound along the baseline due to the made basket, are you? If that was the case, there would be no penalty for committing the foul.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Basically I am asking if it should be Team A's ball on the side or if it should be 1 free throw for Team A.

I assume that the answer lies in whether or not the foul occured before or after the basket went in, but I really don't know.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you have a foul and the basket counts, you still shoot FTs. If the ball misses, you still shoot FTs. There is no out of bounds spot unless you call an intentional foul and that is still after FTs.

It appears I misread this originally. The shot appears to be over and you put the ball to the nearest to the spot of the foul unless you are in the bonus.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Oct 03, 2007 at 03:41pm.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach
Ok, in addition to the traveling call in my other thread, I had one other question from this past weekend that I wasn't sure if it was correctly interpreted?

A1 shoots a three-pointer, A1 lands, B1 blocks out A1 excessively knocking A1 down, shot goes in, foul called.

Ruling on the court was count the basket and Teams A's ball on the side near the foul.

I wasn't clear, but I assumed the ruling was that the foul was after the made basket. I think the foul was before the basket went in, but it was close.

Thanks
I read your question to ask if the shot should be counted due to the foul on A1 by B1. Since A1 was in the act of shooting, the shot would be allowed regardless of the foul. If the basket is made, count it, then enforce the foul by B1. If not in the bonus, A's ball at point of foul.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach

The shooter is no longer in the "act of shooting" once he lands. Therefore any foul committed on him is the same as a foul committed on any other player on the floor; it's a common foul, not a shooting foul. Therefore, if the shooter's team wasn't in the bonus, they'd get the ball OOB for a throw-in at the closest spot to the foul. It doesn't matter whether the shot went or not either--same call.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Oct 03, 2007 at 12:27pm.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
Since A1 was in the act of shooting, the shot would be allowed regardless of the foul.
A1 wasn't in the act of shooting according to the original post. The act of shooting ends when a shooter's foot lands coming down.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Many thanks to all of you!!!!
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

That seemed so much simplier in my head than what I wrote. What I hoped to relate is that imo, the foul happened after the shot (shooter no longer an airborne shooter) but before the ball is dead (thru the basket), thus a common foul by B1.... enforce the penalty as applicable at this point in the game. Throwin nearest spot of foul or bonus shot(s).
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
If the shooter jumps up into the air, shoots and then lands again before the contact happens, the foul is "after the shot", even if the ball has not yet entered the basket. Once the shooter lands, the shot is over for the purposes of determining whether or not that contact is a foul, so if you're not yet into the bonus, then the ball would be inbounded by A from the spot nearest to where the foul happened.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
A1 wasn't in the act of shooting according to the original post. The act of shooting ends when a shooter's foot lands coming down.
I also appreciate those of you who read so many of these posts and make corrections (so others do not get the wrong info) for those of us trying to learn by participating. However I do wish I had re-read for content before sending.. Thanks Jurassic... I didnt get my corrected post out fast enough.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

If the ball does not enter the basket before the common foul is committed does the common foul cause the ball to become dead, and therefore even if the shot is made it won't count?

I was looking at 6-7-7, but the on-line rule book doesn't have exceptions a, b & c so I don't know if one of the exception apply to this situation.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 03:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
If the ball does not enter the basket before the common foul is committed does the common foul cause the ball to become dead, and therefore even if the shot is made it won't count?

I was looking at 6-7-7, but the on-line rule book doesn't have exceptions a, b & c so I don't know if one of the exception apply to this situation.
A released shot is always an exception to the ball becoming dead on a foul; unless the foul is a player control foul.
If the ball does enter before the fouls is committed, you would ignore it unless it's flagrant or intentional, in which case you'd call the appropriate (intentional or flagrant) technical foul.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis

If the ball is in flight on a try, the ball doesn't become dead until the try ends.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
A released shot is always an exception to the ball becoming dead on a foul; unless the foul is a player control foul.
If the ball does enter before the fouls is committed, you would ignore it unless it's flagrant or intentional, in which case you'd call the appropriate (intentional or flagrant) technical foul.
Or unless it's commited by or against the airborne shooter.