LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 09:22am
Huck Finn

Check out the play labeled "Hop, Skp & Jump."

http://thomass2004.home.comcast.net/
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Hard to tell from the distance of the replay. If I had to guess, I'd go no travel. Looks like the back foot stays while the front foot makes the skip, or whatever you want to call it.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
I say travel, although its tough to call live action. His left foot hits on the leap over the fallen ODU player, then he lands on the left again before dropping the right. Only see that in slow-mo. But live action, I might've let that slide because of all the activity surrounding the play.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

1. The B1 looks like he made a good strip of the ball from W1.
2. The B1 looks to have tripped over his own feet and as he is falling pushes W2 to the floor (extended forearm). Questionable no call.
3. B1 makes a nice pass to B2 after falling to the floor.
4. W2 while on the floor dives backward to stop the progress of B2 starting up the floor. W2 makes contact without any legal guarding position. B2, trying to avoid W2 stops the dribble and jumps over W2, traveling in the process.
5. B2 passes to back to B1 and the play ends.

In my opinion, Ref did not call walk on B2 because he was fouled by W2 and did not call foul by W2 because he was fouled by B1 and did not call the foul by B1 because it was B1 had just made a good defensive play and the foul was a little ticky-tack. The play just got worse and worse until very obvious things were let go - all because the initial call was let go. Swallowing the whistle leads to ugly play.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
2. The B1 looks to have tripped over his own feet and as he is falling pushes W2 to the floor (extended forearm). Questionable no call.
4. W2 while on the floor dives backward to stop the progress of B2 starting up the floor. W2 makes contact without any legal guarding position. B2, trying to avoid W2 stops the dribble and jumps over W2, traveling in the process.

In my opinion, Ref did not call walk on B2 because he was fouled by W2 and did not call foul by W2 because he was fouled by B1 and did not call the foul by B1 because it was B1 had just made a good defensive play and the foul was a little ticky-tack. The play just got worse and worse until very obvious things were let go - all because the initial call was let go. Swallowing the whistle leads to ugly play.
That's exactly how I saw it too...except...I don't agree that no whistles led to ugly play. That sequence, while very unusual, was intense & exciting, both teams playing hard through all sorts of stuff. The officials showed *great* whistle control, IMO, and let the thing resolve itself.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks for your post. I was thinking almost exactly those thoughts and you just saved me from typing them out. Ditto.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

That's exactly how I saw it too...except...I don't agree that no whistles led to ugly play. That sequence, while very unusual, was intense & exciting, both teams playing hard through all sorts of stuff. The officials showed *great* whistle control, IMO, and let the thing resolve itself.
And ditto that to. :-)
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 10:08am
In Memoriam

Lah me.

Looked like a clean strip, followed by a team control foul, followed by a defensive blocking foul, followed by a travel.

Check out the official in the slot. It looks like he's too close to the play. Not only that, you got a coach out on the floor beside him who then backs up, blocking his view of the defensive block a l'il bit maybe. It also looked like there might have been some slight contact between the coach and the C also, which doesn't help the view that the C got of the play.

The C did have a real good look on the first contact after the strip though. Sure looked like the dribbler pushed off the defender with an arm as he was going down. The C musta had some kinda reason for letting that one go. It didn't look like inadvertant contact during a loose ball- to me it looked like the dribbler still had some kinda control of it. Maybe he thought the defender flopped, is all I can think of.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Lah me.

The C did have a real good look on the first contact after the strip though. Sure looked like the dribbler pushed off the defender with an arm as he was going down. The C musta had some kinda reason for letting that one go.
I didn't see B1 push off.

What I saw was he tripped...maybe even tripped by A1 (the guy who's shot was cleanly blocked by B1) as he turned to retrieve the ball.

I didn't notice the coach until you mentioned him, but I don't think he blocked the C's view.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 10:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
I didn't notice the coach until you mentioned him, but I don't think he blocked the C's view.
[/B][/QUOTE]Looked to me like there mighta been some slight contact between the C and the coach between the two player contact situations. Maybe I'm being obtuse though.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
I say travel, although its tough to call live action. His left foot hits on the leap over the fallen ODU player, then he lands on the left again before dropping the right. Only see that in slow-mo. But live action, I might've let that slide because of all the activity surrounding the play.
I am not exactly sure what happened even after I replayed it 20 times. (My media player has no slo-mo button)

I try to descibe what I think has happened in the clip on the B2 traveling part:

at the point the contact between B2 and W2 occurred, B2's left (back) foot bearly touch the floor, right foot in the air, dribbling hand (right hand) on the top portion of the ball. B2's right foot was blocked by W2's body, who was not in a normal floor postion.

then B2 leaped over W2, while in the air, B2 put both hands on the ball, then left foot landed, then right foot landed. after both feet landed, left foot was dragged a little bit on the floor.

If above was what really happened, the B2's travel violation is only because his pivot foot was dragged a little bit. His pivot foot was established after he leaped over W2, if above description of the events is true.

Am I right on this?

Thanks.

[Edited by ysong on May 12th, 2005 at 12:06 PM]
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

I thought it was a walk at first because on a jump stop both feet have to land simultaneously, but ysong made a good point that the player did not palm or put both hands on the ball until he was in mid air which allows him to land on either foot followed by the other.

Good job of seeing the whole picture ysong.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
[/B]
Looked to me like there mighta been some slight contact between the C and the coach between the two player contact situations. Maybe I'm being obtuse though. [/B][/QUOTE]

I watched it in slow and other than the initial drive (right before the strip) the coach appeard to remail OOB and within the box.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I was just looking at the block/charge video on tomegun's site just now....

The lead official was cracking me up. Couldn't figure out if he was calling a block or doing jumping jacks.... Freakin hysterical
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
I thought it was a walk at first because on a jump stop both feet have to land simultaneously, but ysong made a good point that the player did not palm or put both hands on the ball until he was in mid air which allows him to land on either foot followed by the other.

Good job of seeing the whole picture ysong.
Are you saying my English is improving too? Thanks.