LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 05:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question How big is the coaching box?

Apparently pretty big in the ACC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDQE3p4pxYc
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on who the coach is and who is calling the game.
barryb
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 05:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

To be fair, the officials are not watching the coach, they are watching the players. The minute the players do something everyone would complain the officials are not doing their job.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
To be fair, the officials are not watching the coach, they are watching the players. The minute the players do something everyone would complain the officials are not doing their job.

Peace
That excuse didn't work in the two-person system and it certainly doesn't work with three officials.

We can't pick and choose which parts of the game we want to manage. The bench area has to be managed.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 07:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
That excuse didn't work in the two-person system and it certainly doesn't work with three officials.

We can't pick and choose which parts of the game we want to manage. The bench area has to be managed.
I am not making an excuse. In that play, I would not be watching the coach. I probably would not even know where the coach was as the Trail or even lead because you are watching players. The court is the priority, not the coach’s box. And that is why my state backed off the following year after they made a big deal the year before with the coaching box. And it is very clear the person that created the tape is not someone that understands officiating.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 07:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Rut - I understand your comment, but she is not just a little ways out onto the court, she is waaaaaay out there. I can't see how any of the officials didn't see that.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 07:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Most of the play was on the other side of the court. For a moment the trail official had the ball close to them and I know then I would not have turned my head to watch what a coach was doing. Then soon after the coach got right back near the sideline and I am not sure the official even were aware of where she was standing. And I seriously doubt any official would be calling a T for just that action.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
The idea of management (IMO) implies using judicial wisdom. If I see her, I'm telling her to get her a$$ off the floor (the first time). If she becomes intangled in the play - then I have an immediate problem. Based on this video, I have nothing.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 08:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just based on the film you cannot tell that the officials even noticed the coach at all. I do not see a head turn in her direction.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Mark, yea, she's way out on the floor. But I also think the announcer is making way, way too big a deal out of it. And I don't think no refs saw it. I think they just didn't do anything. There's no way that trail at the very beginning didn't see that coach. In HS, I would definitely call that or at least say something really, really firm, but this isn't HS ball, and I'll let them decide what works for them.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 09:50pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Mark, yea, she's way out on the floor. But I also think the announcer is making way, way too big a deal out of it. And I don't think no refs saw it. I think they just didn't do anything. There's no way that trail at the very beginning didn't see that coach. In HS, I would definitely call that or at least say something really, really firm, but this isn't HS ball, and I'll let them decide what works for them.
A double negative. So you really think the refs DID see it.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

As far out onto the floor as that coach was (for quite some time), I do not see how someone in the crew did not notice. Officials don't have tunnel vision. The only explanation I can think of is that the crew knew they had just blown a call and were going to let her vent a little. That wouldn't be a good excuse, but it's the only thing I can come up with.

I bet the observers had a lot to say in the locker room. That is just terrible bench management.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 10:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
A double negative. So you really think the refs DID see it.
That's exactly what rainmaker said ! She thinks someone ignored it.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 10:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
As far out onto the floor as that coach was (for quite some time), I do not see how someone in the crew did not notice. Officials don't have tunnel vision. The only explanation I can think of is that the crew knew they had just blown a call and were going to let her vent a little. That wouldn't be a good excuse, but it's the only thing I can come up with.

I bet the observers had a lot to say in the locker room. That is just terrible bench management.
The coach might have been clearly out of the box for about 5 seconds at most. About half of that time there was a double team near the Trail official. The Trail official had 3 players right in front of him/her (sorry I cannot tell). Then the ball clearly goes to the other side of the court or near the paint (which we cannot see). As the ball goes away from camera view, the coach is at best on the edge of the coaching box but that is not very clear because the camera angle does not show how far based on the bench is blocking the line. Then as the ball is on the other side of the court, the ball starts going in transition to the other end of the court and the ball is opposite the table.

Now the best official that would have been able to tell is the Trail official mainly because they are on that side. If you know anything about Women's mechanics, they rotate anytime the ball is on the opposite part of the court. It is possible the Lead official made a rotation (we cannot tell on the tape) during the sequence.

Now this tape was only 25 seconds long where 2 transitions are taking place and we are talking seriously about bad management of a coach all during live ball play? Are we serious?

If this situation took place during a HS game and we are using a 14 foot box, not only would we have to know if a coach was on the court, but their depth in that box. So a coach could be completely out of box and we expect officials during live action to know all the coach's whereabouts?

I work pretty much only 3 Person in all my games and I can tell you I hardly ever know where a coach is standing during a live ball unless the ball is right in front of the bench. Now if this was during a dead ball I would understand the reaction. But during live ball in a very short period of time, not that is a little silly if you ask me.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 12:09am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Coaching Box Story

In 2001, my college alumni were invited to fill in at a college summer league. For some of the games, I kinda assumed the rolse as coach, since it was obvious i wouldn't play much.

In one game, I'm coaching, and wouldn't you know it, the other's team coach comes down and starts coaching in my coaching box.

He did this a couple of more times, so I figured I may as well join the fun and coach from his box. When I do this, the one referee (who was the host school's head coach) tells me to get back into my box. I let him know at the next dead ball that if we were going to enforce the technical points of the rules in a summer game, he needed to tell the other coach to stop tap dancing his way down to my box. Referee told the coach something, and I got a dirty look from said coach, but i just looked at him and shrugged my shoulders, as if to say "What did you expect me to do?"

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball