The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

As our regular season winds down (about 2 weeks left) and the playoffs approach, I am curious how the different associations handle playoffs. I am new down here in SoCal but carried primarily a varsity schedule and was highly rated. How is it determined in your area who gets playoffs?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Kansas, the coaches have a lot of input. That's to bad because they don't have clue. Every year the state receives votes for Officials that are dead, move away years ago, no longer doing BB, or don't work there league. Last year one of my fellow officials receive a call from a coach asking if he should vote for a certain official, this certain official is probably not rated very high on many officials list. My fellow official turned the question around and asked the coach, " do you want him working one of your games?". I think the coach got it.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

In Ohio...

each coach gets a ballot which contains the names of qualified (Class I) officials at the beginning of the season. The coach can check a maximum of ten names on the ballot (can't blackball anyone) and then sends it in. High vote getters get the tournament assignments. One coach told me he gets dozens of letters every year from officials begging for tournament votes. It's also interesting to see the number of votes that retired and dead officials get every year.

Don't think this is fair, but, then again, I don't have a better method.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Years back we had an official write letters for votes. I won't say anything about this official. But, the state put a stop to it immediately. Officials are not allowed to politic for votes in any way.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
In our association we are ranked in numerical order and the top 30 officials work the playoff games. The higher on the list the more games you get. Those going to the various state tourneys will work more games at the level of tourney they are going to. Our association assignor has sole discretion on who works what games.
Coaches involvement!!! HA!!!! NEVER!
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

In our association (unfortunately)the coaches pick for the district tournaments. As you may guess, there is a lot of politics involved in that process. We have minimized some of the problems that other areas have with officials lobbying coaches for playoff spots. There is an article in our bylaws stating that an official may not contact a coach or AD for that purpose. Does it still happen? Yes. Some officials are pretty subtle and sneaky about how they go about doing it.

For the state tournaments, our officials get to pick who goes. We have a ranking system and the top officials as ranked by their peers get to go. We do have a provision, however that if you get picked for state, you are ineligible for the following 2 years for state. With this method we get more officials getting post season action.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by paulis
As our regular season winds down (about 2 weeks left) and the playoffs approach, I am curious how the different associations handle playoffs.
Just curious, paulis. When did your season start? Here in Western Mass, our regular season runs until the 3rd week of February. Then comes the postseason tourney and our state title games are (usually) held on Selection Sunday for the NCAA Tourney.

Our HS playoff assignments are done through regional assignors, just like our regular season assignments. I think the coaches are allowed to give the names of 3-5 officials that they don't want to work their games. I'm not sure exactly how much input the coaches get, tho.

Chuck
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Our regular season ends Feb. 8.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

In my association, the assignor makes the selection for district and regional tournaments. For state level, each association within the state sends a "nomination" list to the state office. In Virginia it is the Virginia High School League (VHSL). Selected officials receive a letter from the VHSL informing them they have been selected. The 3-person crew is usually from the same association and (I believe this is correct)if the teams in the semi-final and final is from your district/region, you can't do that game. This causes some changing of assignments, depending on what happens in previous games.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Re: In Ohio...

Quote:
Originally posted by JAdams
each coach gets a ballot which contains the names of qualified (Class I) officials at the beginning of the season. The coach can check a maximum of ten names on the ballot (can't blackball anyone) and then sends it in. High vote getters get the tournament assignments. One coach told me he gets dozens of letters every year from officials begging for tournament votes. It's also interesting to see the number of votes that retired and dead officials get every year.

Don't think this is fair, but, then again, I don't have a better method.
J - They changed this. Now it is a blank scantron where they fill in the id number of 5 (min) - 20 (max) officials.

Hank told us they were tired of dead officials not notifying the office, and still getting checked. Although, I am not sure how this is better....
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ref42
Here in Maryland, our season has a last play date of February 20th. The public school state playoffs start the weekend of February 22/23 and it's pretty much the same situation as DBL indicated for Northern Virginia. Here in Maryland most of state(99%) is made up of IAABO Boards and each "commissoner/supervisor of officials" for each board schedules at the regional level (4 rounds). In Maryland every public school makes the playoffs, so it's an "open tournament" with alot of games in the first and second rounds. Sometime this month -January- each commissoner also sends a list of names from each board to the state office and officials for state semis and finals are chosen off of these lists. Now the number of officials on each list sent by each board is different and is based on the amount of schools your board/association services. So for my board, which services approximately 36 public highschools & 30 private schools, it makes us one of the larger board's in the state. So we get to send six to seven names down each year. The other factor for us now is as of last year our state semis and finals went to three man officiating and it has enabled all boards to send additional officials. I know we here in Maryland are "behind the times" with the "three-man" thing, but it's been a process.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
paulis, I officiate here in Michigan. All of the high school sports have an assignment committee that meets at state athletic association office and they hand out the assignments. The assignments are handed out based on ratings, years of service, conference recommendations, and official associations recommendations. That is how we do it here in Michigan.

Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

In Missouri, coaches turn in recommendations and scratches to the state. Officials must declare a region in which they wish to work district (first round) tournaments. District managers meet in each region and hold a luck of the draw draft for who gets to pick officials for each day. I believe this is done to keep one district from hiring all of the same officials. One district might get the fourth pick on one day but have the first pick of officials for their finals. In fact as I look at my calendar, the "draft" is held tonight.
All games after districts (sectionals, quarters, Final Four) are selected by the state office based on coaches recomendation and evaluations from state hired observers.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Our association sends the top 15 rated refs to districts. The top 6 go to state. Around here, coaches have absolutely no input to ratings or district assignments and never will.

Z