The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Just wanted to get feedback from other officials regarding when they consider a player "IN"

Does the player have to have one or two feet established on the court to be "IN"?

I'll wait a bit to see what some replies are and then I'll give you the scenario.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JLK
Just wanted to get feedback from other officials regarding when they consider a player "IN"

Does the player have to have one or two feet established on the court to be "IN"?

I'll wait a bit to see what some replies are and then I'll give you the scenario.
I use 4-35 (NFHS rules). There is no "two feet" requirement. If the player was OOB, the player returns inbound when any part of the player touches inbounds and no part of the player is still touching OOB.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 01:38pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb What Bob said.

Quote:
Originally posted by JLK

JLK,
Don't expect too many other replies that will differ from Bob's post.
It is what it is.
mick
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 03:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Agree with Bob

Just to add. Court location is where every a player or the person last touched. There are exceptions but that is basically all there is to it. So if a player is airborne, they are considered (along with the ball) to be where they last touched.

Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 04:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink Re: Agree with Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Just to add. Court location is where every a player or the person last touched. There are exceptions but that is basically all there is to it. So if a player is airborne, they are considered (along with the ball) to be where they last touched.

As Camron Rust has said, "You are where you were 'till you get where you're going."
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, Here's the scenario:

Made basket, A1 takes ball OOB and then throws it in to A2.
A2 is getting alot of pressure and throws back to A1 as A1 is coming IB. A1 has one foot on court and then catches the pass and then puts 2nd foot down onto the court(2nd foot was not touching OOB).

B's coach is screaming at me that a player coming from OOB onto the court needs to have both feet on the court before establishing themselves a legal player.

Now have at it....
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JLK
Ok, Here's the scenario:

A2 is getting alot of pressure and throws back to A1 as A1 is coming IB. A1 has one foot on court and then catches the pass and then puts 2nd foot down onto the court(2nd foot was not touching OOB).

B's coach is screaming at me that a player coming from OOB onto the court needs to have both feet on the court before establishing themselves a legal player.

Now have at it....
Coach was wrong. Wasn't the first time. Won't be the last.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

WHAT! a coach not knowing the rule! Hmmmmmm i can't imagine that. Ok as Mark said there are exceptions, the only thing we havn't said is the throwin exception concerning front/back court. If you are interested just ask.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 05:36pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by JLK
Ok, Here's the scenario:

Now have at it....
JLK,
Sounds like you didn't call a violation. Good goin'.

Player Location
Case 4.35.2 Situation: "Thrower A1 inbounds the ball to A2, A2 immediately throws the ball back to A1. When A1 touches the pass, he/she has: (a)both feet touching inbounds; or (b) one foot touching inbounds and one out of bounds; (c) one foot touching inbounds and the other not touching the floor. Ruling: The ball remains live in (a) and (c), but A1 has caused the ball to be out of bounds in (b). 4-4-4"

mick
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

"B's coach is screaming at me that a player coming from OOB onto the court needs to have both feet on the court before establishing themselves a legal player. "

Coach, that's in the NFL. We're playing basketball.

Bob
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Agree with Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

As Camron Rust has said, "You are where you were 'till you get where you're going." [/B]

Huh. I remember echoing this from someone else. And I thought it was YOU!!!