The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

at what point?

In a running clock game ... player gets hurt (we have blood) and the clock is stopped. At what point do you restart the clock - nothing in the local rules. The player is going to the line to shoot FTs

A) when the player is at the line and ready to shoot
B) once the ball becomes live
something else...
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 02:23am
Do not give a damn!!

There are no specific rules for this other than rules at the local level. And even at the local level there are usually no rules for this. So you can do whatever you like.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 03:57am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
In a running clock game ... player gets hurt (we have blood) and the clock is stopped. At what point do you restart the clock - nothing in the local rules. The player is going to the line to shoot FTs

something else...
Running clock = summer league (usually)

So... I would say as soon as possible!!
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 05:56am

The way to answer this Johnny is how or when would you restart the clock in a regulation game. The answer is when the ball becomes live. The ball becomes live after the 2nd F/T if missed, or if the shooter made the bucket after the first F/T is missed. If the F/T is made, the ball becomes live when inbounded successfully by the opponents. Remember, a bleeding player must be substituted or the coach can buy them back in with a timeout. Otherwise, what Brad said....
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 06:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
The way to answer this Johnny is how or when would you restart the clock in a regulation game. The answer is when the ball becomes live.

1)The ball becomes live after the 2nd F/T if missed,
2) or if the shooter made the bucket after the first F/T is missed.
3) If the F/T is made, the ball becomes live when inbounded successfully by the opponents.
How many times do you have to be corrected on one of the most basic basketball rules? You don't have a clue as to when a ball becomes live or dead by rule.

1) The ball becomes live on a FT when the FT shooter has it. You can't score with a dead ball. That's another rules basic.
2) The ball is dead as soon as the shooter makes a "bucket", not vice-versa.
3) In any throw-in, the ball becomes live when it is at the disposal of the thrower.

In all three cases, the ball being live has got absolutely NOTHING to do with when the rules tell us to start the clock.

Lah....freaking.....me!

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 06:23am.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The way to answer this Johnny is how or when would you restart the clock in a regulation game. The answer is when the ball becomes live. The ball becomes live after the 2nd F/T if missed, or if the shooter made the bucket after the first F/T is missed. If the F/T is made, the ball becomes live when inbounded successfully by the opponents. Remember, a bleeding player must be substituted or the coach can buy them back in with a timeout. Otherwise, what Brad said....

There should be a message board rule that states if you don't have supporting documentation to back up your answer you have to preface your answer with the words: "I think" or "I believe".

I don't say this to be funny but a lot of us newbies come to this board to get knowledge and a better understanding of the rules.....but I guess if the original poster wanted an opinion then that's apparently what he got....
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 07:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official
There should be a message board rule that states if you don't have supporting documentation to back up your answer you have to preface your answer with the words: "I think" or "I believe".

I don't say this to be funny but a lot of us newbies come to this board to get knowledge and a better understanding of the rules.....but I guess if the original poster wanted an opinion then that's apparently what he got....
When you take the question into context, the OP stated when to start a running clock. Where do we have a running clock? In non-regulated, that is not Fed. controlled type games. IOW's, a rec league type of game, so the answer I gave, considering the question, which BTW, was a multiple choice question, was indeed correct, when the ball becomes live. Now, the point you and JR made is correct but it may be overkill to what the OP is looking for. Know your environment! If, you want to get super technical, get the book and desribe for us when the Fed. says the clock should be started instead of brow-beating the point that I was wrong. Just like JRUT says, there is no rules that describe rec league, or most make up their own, and i do have a trailor on every message, perhaps you should read it before posting. Now get over it....!!!
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo

something else...
Johnny, if either team used a timeout, when would you restart the clock?

Restart it the same way.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 08:03am.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When you take the question into context, the OP stated when to start a running clock. Where do we have a running clock? In non-regulated, that is not Fed. controlled type games. IOW's, a rec league type of game, so the answer I gave, considering the question, which BTW, was a multiple choice question, was indeed correct, when the ball becomes live. Now, the point you and JR made is correct but it may be overkill to what the OP is looking for. Know your environment! If, you want to get super technical, get the book and desribe for us when the Fed. says the clock should be started instead of brow-beating the point that I was wrong. Just like JRUT says, there is no rules that describe rec league, or most make up their own, and i do have a trailor on every message, perhaps you should read it before posting. Now get over it....!!!
I think you missed the point.

It is a valid opinion to say, "The clock should start when the ball becomes live." That's what you said.

It is also a valid opinion to say, "The clock should start when the clock would normally start in a game." Those are the examples you gave.

The issue is that the examples don't match the words. And you don't need to be "super technical" to understand the difference between "a live ball" and "the clock running". The two have nothing to do with one another.

Oh -- to the OP: I'd start the clock as soon as the reason for stopping the clock was removed. That is, if the rules have the clock running throughout the foul reporting and FT process (and include running the clock during the substitution for an ejected player), then I'd start the clock as soon as the injured player was off the floor.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 08:30am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:

The actual message board rule states, "Ignore every single word that Old School posts". He knows nothing about the rules of basketball or about officiating basketball. Listening to his input on officiating is like listening to Brittany Spears talk about good parenting. He posts here only to stir up trouble and cause confusion. Put him on your ignore list.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
LOL - now you're trying to explain your answer . . . you clearly stated that you start the clock when the ball becomes live in a regulation game which is not the case. Just say "Ooops, brain fart!" and move on.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

I have worked in leagues with rules like this, and pretty universally this question is not addressed. Oh well.

If the only reason for stopping the clock was the blood situation, then I'd restart the clock as soon as the situation is resolved. If the spirit of the rule is to keep the clock running, let it run.

If you would normally have stopped the clock for the free throws (which is one of the common variations on this theme), then start as you normally would after the free throw.

Just my $0.02
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 11:15am
Official & Member

Interesting scenario. In Florida, by state rule, there is a running clock once a 35 point differential is achieved (call it a Slaughter Rule if you like) so this sitch would apply to Fed governed contests here. The rule further states that the clock shall only be stopped for time-outs and Techs.
Thus, in the original sitch, I would proceed as follows:
1) we have an officials time out. (stop clock)
2) If the blood situation has been corrected, the time out has been concluded. Lets all set up for the free throw, if applicable, and
3)start the clock once the ball is at the disposal of the thrower.

Not sure if it's spelled out specifically anywhere for us, but that's my best guess how to handle it. Anyone have a better solution?
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Quote:
You'll find soon enough after reading enough of the board who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. Some people post rule references and also respond with their interpretation of the play to match the rules. Just keep reading you'll find out who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 11:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Not all points of views can be answered with documentation. And even if I gave you some documentation, you might not like the source. You must realize on the internet anyone can say anything. It is your job as a reader to determine who you listen too and who you ignore. The problem is you quoted the least respected individual on this site and any other site I can think of that deals with officiating.

Quote:
Newbies need to learn that you do not listen to everyone in officiating no different than you would listen to every doctor, lawyer or real estate agent just because they say something. Some people are going to have more credibility than others. I know when I started I did not listen to everyone because they where a veteran. The longer I have officiated the less I pay attention to more people because I have learned who has credibility and who does not. That is just something they will have to learn.

Peace