The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Low post player catches a pass in the low post and drop steps to the hoop. In order to move his pivot foot, he power dribbles one time (slams the ball down with both hands and catches it), then shoots. Is this double dribble? I have taught this technique and seen many players do this for many years and never get called for double dribble. Over on a howler monket web site a coach said his post player was called for it and he too was puzzled. Looking for thoughts from other officials.

Thanks!

Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

It all depends on what his feet are doing when he does this. If he lifts the pivot foot and then does the 'power dribble' it is a travel. If not, then it is a legal move. I'm kind of old school about this move however and if I were a coach I wouldn't teach it. During my playing days, I was taught to never put the ball on the floor in the low post. Keep the ball high. A lot of times you'll see players do that and it gives the defense a chance to make a play on the ball. Other times you'll see the post player get fouled on the play but no foul is called. The reason is that it is considered a 'bail out' call. You are bailing the post player after he did something dumb.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Smile

What is the address of this Howler Monkey site? We might want to visit the zoo.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 10:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgrd
Low post player catches a pass in the low post and drop steps to the hoop. In order to move his pivot foot, he power dribbles one time (slams the ball down with both hands and catches it), then shoots. Is this double dribble? I have taught this technique and seen many players do this for many years and never get called for double dribble. Over on a howler monket web site a coach said his post player was called for it and he too was puzzled. Looking for thoughts from other officials.

Thanks!

coachgrd,
The move you are teaching sounds good.
Not all officials are equal.
mick
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

I think you guys are missing the coach's question and point.

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgrd
Low post player catches a pass in the low post and drop steps to the hoop. In order to move his pivot foot, he power dribbles one time (slams the ball down with both hands and catches it), then shoots. Is this double dribble? I have taught this technique and seen many players do this for many years and never get called for double dribble. Over on a howler monkey web site a coach said his post player was called for it and he too was puzzled. Looking for thoughts from other officials.
There's nothing illegal about dribbling the ball ONCE with both hands. It's when he touches it with both hands a SECOND time that it becomes a double dribble.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
It all depends on what his feet are doing when he does this. If he lifts the pivot foot and then does the 'power dribble' it is a travel. If not, then it is a legal move. I'm kind of old school about this move however and if I were a coach I wouldn't teach it. During my playing days, I was taught to never put the ball on the floor in the low post. Keep the ball high. A lot of times you'll see players do that and it gives the defense a chance to make a play on the ball. Other times you'll see the post player get fouled on the play but no foul is called. The reason is that it is considered a 'bail out' call. You are bailing the post player after he did something dumb.
Game has changed a lot. I remember the days when coaches would tell big players never to bring the ball down. But a quick, decisive, one-on-one move in the post with one power dribble should never be questioned. A good drop step, a hook shot, and an up-and-under may at times require effective use of the dribble, and should never result in a turnover if the right choice is made. If none of those options presents itself, keep the ball high!

And if one of those pesky puny guards (like me!) is coming to double down in the post, better keep the ball high!

The whole point of this, Daves, is that if the post player makes a strong move and only a foul prevents him/her from completing, call the foul. It's not bailing a player out, and there is nothing that says who may or may not dribble. But if they dribble into a crowd of hands and lose the ball, I would not step up to save them.

[Edited by Hawks Coach on Jan 22nd, 2002 at 10:54 AM]
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

A dribble may be started by pushing, throwing or batting the ball to the floor. The rule says nothing about having to use only one hand to start the dribble. Legal play.

Z
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
There's nothing illegal about dribbling the ball ONCE with both hands. It's when he touches it with both hands a SECOND time that it becomes a double dribble. [/B]
I think you are saying that the dribble ends the first time it bounces back into both hands. If he bounces the ball again, it is a double dribble.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by daves
Game has changed a lot. I remember the days when coaches would tell big players never to bring the ball down. But a quick, decisive, one-on-one move in the post with one power dribble should never be questioned. A good drop step, a hook shot, and an up-and-under may at times require effective use of the dribble, and should never result in a turnover if the right choice is made. If none of those options presents itself, keep the ball high!

And if one of those pesky puny guards (like me!) is coming to double down in the post, better keep the ball high!

The whole point of this, Daves, is that if the post player makes a strong move and only a foul prevents him/her from completing, call the foul. It's not bailing a player out, and there is nothing that says who may or may not dribble. But if they dribble into a crowd of hands and lose the ball, I would not step up to save them.

[Edited by Hawks Coach on Jan 22nd, 2002 at 10:54 AM]
Are you calling me old? I agree that it is good move if done correctly and shouldn't be penalized. I was playing on a town team a few years back. Our big man would put the ball on the floor every time he got an offensive board or if he got a pass in the post. He would get hacked about half the time and about 95% of the time it wouldn't get called. He asked me why the officials(who I knew) didn't make the call. I explained to him about the bailout call. He didn't stop doing it but at least he knew why. There are times when you have to put the ball up strong and times for the fancy stuff.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slider
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
There's nothing illegal about dribbling the ball ONCE with both hands. It's when he touches it with both hands a SECOND time that it becomes a double dribble.
I think you are saying that the dribble ends the first time it bounces back into both hands. If he bounces the ball again, it is a double dribble. [/B]
Correct. The second time he bounces it with both hands, it's a double dribble.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith