Thread: Power Dribble
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
It all depends on what his feet are doing when he does this. If he lifts the pivot foot and then does the 'power dribble' it is a travel. If not, then it is a legal move. I'm kind of old school about this move however and if I were a coach I wouldn't teach it. During my playing days, I was taught to never put the ball on the floor in the low post. Keep the ball high. A lot of times you'll see players do that and it gives the defense a chance to make a play on the ball. Other times you'll see the post player get fouled on the play but no foul is called. The reason is that it is considered a 'bail out' call. You are bailing the post player after he did something dumb.
Game has changed a lot. I remember the days when coaches would tell big players never to bring the ball down. But a quick, decisive, one-on-one move in the post with one power dribble should never be questioned. A good drop step, a hook shot, and an up-and-under may at times require effective use of the dribble, and should never result in a turnover if the right choice is made. If none of those options presents itself, keep the ball high!

And if one of those pesky puny guards (like me!) is coming to double down in the post, better keep the ball high!

The whole point of this, Daves, is that if the post player makes a strong move and only a foul prevents him/her from completing, call the foul. It's not bailing a player out, and there is nothing that says who may or may not dribble. But if they dribble into a crowd of hands and lose the ball, I would not step up to save them.

[Edited by Hawks Coach on Jan 22nd, 2002 at 10:54 AM]