The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Ihsa Guys

I have got to have a Basketball clinic this year, but so far the closest one listed on the website is 175 miles from here. They are not doing the online education program this year, either! Any of you know of clinics coming up that are downstate? I'm hoping someone is going to have one somewhere in Central Illinois. I would love one near Springfield or in Southern Illinois near Alton. I need one badly!!!! If you know of one in your area please let me know ASAP!
Thanks.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 04:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

The only ones that I know of at this time are in the Chicago area. Now that might be a little travel for you, but it is better than nothing. I do know there have been a couple of 6 hour clinics usually run up this way also around October and early November. If I get any information for you, I will let you know ASAP. I would like to attend a camp as well but there are date conflicts as of right now.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Rut,
Do the clinics you have attened have floor time, too? All the ones I have done only had classroom hours.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 05:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Thanks Rut,
Do the clinics you have attened have floor time, too? All the ones I have done only had classroom hours.
If you look at your personal webpage on the IHSA and look under the clinic section, you will find all the "known" clinics. At this time they are all 4 Hour clinics which have no floor time associated with them.

The clinics I usually attended other than the IACAO clinic are 6 hour clinics which require court coverage. The IACAO Clinic is held at Hoffman Estates the first Saturday of November every year (which it is not a guarantee for me to attend every year).

You do not have to attend a 6 hour clinic for your license, but you do have to attend one for consideration for post season assignments. Any 4 Hour clinic allows you to keep your license, but it will hurt you in the Power Point area.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 07:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Update!!!

It looks like there is a 6 Hour (or Level 2) Clinic run by the Western Basketball Official's Association in October. The information is very preliminary and not confirmed by all accounts. Here is a link that might give you more information and you can contact them directly. This camp is likely to be run somewhere around the western suburbs. That might be some travel for you, but here is the link to this information.

WBOA Clinic Information

If that does not work for you, the IACAO Basketball Clinic has a link to it as well. This clinic in on November 3, 2007 and it is not during most fall sports regular season and this is on a Saturday.

2007 IACAO Basketball Clnic

Peace
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Rut. I'm still hoping for something closer downstate, but if nothing opens up.... I really appreciate the info. I wonder why they don't have the online education thing this year?
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 10:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thanks, Rut. I'm still hoping for something closer downstate, but if nothing opens up.... I really appreciate the info. I wonder why they don't have the online education thing this year?
What online education are you talking about? I do not remember anything that replaced clinics.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

JR,
A couple of years ago (05 I think) they starting offering online education for people who could not get to clinics. Google IHSA online education and it will take you to the board meeting where it was approved. TJ1 told me about it so I looked it up and there it was.

I e-mailed a bunch of downstate basketball associations last night and found one in Champaign in November and the association I'm going to join this Fall only 40 miles away is having a 2-part clinic in November and December. I got lucky this time.... but I'm not ending up in this boat again. RR

Last edited by refnrev; Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 03:30pm.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 12:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
JR,
A couple of years ago (95 I think) they starting offering online education for people who could not get to clinics. Google IHSA online education and it will take you to the board meeting where it was approved. TJ1 told me about it so I looked it up and there it was.
I started officiating in 96 when Mary Struckoff was over the IHSA Official's Department. There was no clinic system as a requirement when I started. A year later the IHSA started the clinician system and requiring clinics to keep your license. That does not mean before that there was not an online education system at that time, but it was not tied to a clinic at that time. There were presentations online, but you could not just review that information and qualify a certified clinic. I even remember the letter than was sent out looking for people to start becoming clinicians.

Are you talking about the NF Online Certification? If that is the case the IHSA never signed off on this program and it appears most states have not either.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 12:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I started officiating in 96
What a coincidence! I also started officiating in 96. Oh wait - you mean 1996.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 07:47pm
M.A.S.H.

Looks like refnrev will be making an appearance in Champaign!