The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

That block shot signal is not a college mechanic. I think it can be used sometimes (late after the play has ended) to communicate yes I was on this play and yes although it looked ugly there was a blocked shot.

Personally, I think there were other fouls called that were block shots called in the game. Also, too many bail out plays at the rim level called fouls. Finally, way to many "and 1's" on easy plays to the hoop.

Other than that, their credibility level is outstanding that is why nobody questions the types of plays I mentioned above.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 03:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not much different than.................

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bigwhistle
Quote:

Since when is this a collegiate mechanic???????
The same time and place in the mechanics book that you will see pointing to the floor on out of bounds, or any number of things that "sell" the call. D1 Officials are held to a much higher standard and are allowed to do things that us HS Officials are not allowed to do. And if you watch enough college basketball or go to many college basketball games, you will see what I am talking about.

Let me put it this way, it is acceptable if the assignor for that conference wants them to do it that way. This is not the NF, they have more leeway.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 03:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb There is only one on the court.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
Which one is Ted Valentine?
The only Black guy on the court.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 03:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Men not boys.

Quote:
Originally posted by DrC.
Did anybody hear Coach K possibly scream out the F#@@ word twice. My son looked at me and I thought the same. The only reason I bring it up was it was loud enough for the Microphones to pick it up and that place was rocking (loud) most of the night....
No, but I sure the glad that college officials are not giving Ts for every curse word. I think we need to grow up a little here. These are not children they are dealing with. These are adults.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

just a question

here in florida we do not catch much greif for using college born mechanics, and it is actually preferred by our assignor. i guess that makes it difficult for me to understand where you guys are speaking from. could you give some input as to what you are told to do by your supervisors.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: There is only one on the court.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
Which one is Ted Valentine?
The only Black guy on the court.
Actually, there were lots of black guys on the court. Most of them were wearing shorts tho

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Lightbulb

I think we need to be mindful of other people's race, I am wondering how many African American officials may have felt that when describing Ted Valentine Rut could have been more professional. Just out of consideration for African Americans I would have liked to see him choose his words a little better. I am not saying he meant any harm in his description of Ted Valentine,I just feel he is respected by other officials on this website and I would hate to have him loose the respect from fellow African American officials.
Love and Respect!
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
I think we need to be mindful of other people's race,
I thought we were supposed to disregard people's race altogether, not be mindful of it. (I can play the PC game too!)

Quote:
I am wondering how many African American officials may have felt that when describing Ted Valentine Rut could have been more professional.
I don't know. Let's ask one. HEY RUT!!! Did you feel that you could have been more professional in describing Ted Valentine?

Quote:
Love and Respect!
Believe me, we ALL love and respect Teddy V. Anybody who tosses Bobby Knight and then gives him his third T before he leaves gets a plaque in my Officiating Hall of Fame.

I don't think there's any shame or stigma in being called a black official, if one is, in fact a black official. Just my personal opinion. Of course, I'm not black; so I may just be full of hot air.

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Of course, I'm not black; so I may just be full of hot air.

Chuck
Chuck, I think most of us here are full of hot air from time to time!
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 12:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down What I am about to say is not personal at all.

Quote:
I think we need to be mindful of other people's race, I am wondering how many African American officials may have felt that when describing Ted Valentine Rut could have been more professional. Just out of consideration for African Americans I would have liked to see him choose his words a little better. I am not saying he meant any harm in his description of Ted Valentine,I just feel he is respected by other officials on this website and I would hate to have him loose the respect from fellow African American officials.
Love and Respect!
Love,

I am an educated man. I have a mother who has a Ph.D in Sociology and was the first African-American Chairperson at the University that she still works at. So my understanding of race is very well in hand. I am Black first, African-American second. For your information, Black is my race, African-American is my ethnicity. There is a huge difference. You can look at me and tell the I am Black, but not know that I am African-American. The only thing that makes me African-American is where I was born and where I where I claim citizenship. I know enough Black people that would not claim being African-American at all. And since I know little about exactly where Teddy Valintine was born or what his origin lies, it would be hard for me to just say that he is an African-American. It would be a good bet that he is, but considering that I do not know that for sure, he was the only Black person on the court.

I understand that we have gotten so caught up in the PC era that we have lost our good thinking, but there is a big difference between someone's race and someone's ethnicity. Race is the physical color that someone is. Black, white or yellow. I would give the educated terms but I did not read that much in my African American Minor in college . I can be Black and be Nigerian or Canadian or Cuban. But if I a Cuban-American or British-American and you not know my race. Technically you can have African-Americans and they be physically white. Not all Africans are Black.

The problem with being PC we have become Politically Stupid in the process. And that is why I am responding to you. You are so worried about offending someone, you do not realize that it would be hard to be an insult from someone that is "probably" no different than I am.

Not personal but had to set the record straight.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Smile Duke/Maryland officials

By the way just for the record, Mike Wood is white and so is Jimmy Burr. I however do not know if they are Irish, German, Scottish, Swedish, African American or whatever. I thought I would share this so as to not offend anyone since people were asking only about Valentine.

Can we talk plays/philosophy/rules please and leave the political civil rights stuff for another forum???

Just a suggestion. For the record, I am white and my partners in my game tomorrow night are white and black respectively. I will be sure to ask about their family origins during our pregame discussions!!!!

Goodness gracious!!!
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 12:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Sad that I have to say this but..........

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I think we need to be mindful of other people's race,
I thought we were supposed to disregard people's race altogether, not be mindful of it. (I can play the PC game too!)

Quote:
I am wondering how many African American officials may have felt that when describing Ted Valentine Rut could have been more professional.
I don't know. Let's ask one. HEY RUT!!! Did you feel that you could have been more professional in describing Ted Valentine?

Quote:
Love and Respect!
Believe me, we ALL love and respect Teddy V. Anybody who tosses Bobby Knight and then gives him his third T before he leaves gets a plaque in my Officiating Hall of Fame.

I don't think there's any shame or stigma in being called a black official, if one is, in fact a black official. Just my personal opinion. Of course, I'm not black; so I may just be full of hot air.

Chuck
Let me say this if you have not already read what I said. I am Black first!!! Before I step onto the court being Black or African-American is what people are going to judge me by. After that you see that I am an official. I can take off the strips or the Blue Umpire Shirt, but I can never take off my skin. It is what I am, it is what I will be until the day I die. And what I am and what I will always be, will be the color that I am. And considering that I have partners that are Black that I work with on a regular basis, we do not just put away what we are because we step onto a court. It makes me proud considering that two of the most respected officials in the business are Black/African-American. Now that might not mean a thing to anyone else, but someone that has grown up learning the history of this country and the history of American Black people, it gives me great pride that two individuals have gone thru what they have and have still achieved. I would love for us all to hold hands and to sing songs and quote Martin Luther King Jr. would be great. But the reality is that everytime I step onto the court and I am the only Black face in the entire gym, it matters to someone. And if it did not, I would have never had the things happen to me in a short period of time where race seemed to be the only thing. And that is not just dealing with white people I might add. But that is another story all together.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrC.
Did anybody hear Coach K possibly scream out the F#@@ word twice. My son looked at me and I thought the same. The only reason I bring it up was it was loud enough for the Microphones to pick it up and that place was rocking (loud) most of the night....
Unfortunately, that's Coach K's favorite word.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 12:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Duke/Maryland officials

Quote:
Originally posted by BBarnaky
By the way just for the record, Mike Wood is white and so is Jimmy Burr. I however do not know if they are Irish, German, Scottish, Swedish, African American or whatever. I thought I would share this so as to not offend anyone since people were asking only about Valentine.

Can we talk plays/philosophy/rules please and leave the political civil rights stuff for another forum???

Just a suggestion. For the record, I am white and my partners in my game tomorrow night are white and black respectively. I will be sure to ask about their family origins during our pregame discussions!!!!

Goodness gracious!!!
What is the problem with discussing this? I have comments made to me all the time about my race and jokes made about my race. Not necessarily in a negative way, but there is a person in the State that I live that has the exact same first and last initials as mine but is white. So when people see our names on a contract, they think they are working with one or the other. And because my name is not a sterotypical African-American last name, many people are surpised that I am Black. So I have to deal with it almost every day, why can we not discuss it here?

And if you have ever done a game with an All-Black team and an All-white team and the officials are all of one color of one of the teams, you will have to deal with it then. I did a game in the North Central Illinois Conference (home team and all-white) and a Chicago Public League team (visiting team and all-Black team about an hour away from Chicago), you tell me that political considerations was not a factor. Well it was and how it was would surprise you.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBarnaky
Personally, I think there were other fouls called that were block shots called in the game. Also, too many bail out plays at the rim level called fouls. Finally, way to many "and 1's" on easy plays to the hoop.
Good grief!

Does it ever occur to you to just congratulate soembody without second guessing every call?

I bet you're a real pip to work with.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith