View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 12:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Duke/Maryland officials

Quote:
Originally posted by BBarnaky
By the way just for the record, Mike Wood is white and so is Jimmy Burr. I however do not know if they are Irish, German, Scottish, Swedish, African American or whatever. I thought I would share this so as to not offend anyone since people were asking only about Valentine.

Can we talk plays/philosophy/rules please and leave the political civil rights stuff for another forum???

Just a suggestion. For the record, I am white and my partners in my game tomorrow night are white and black respectively. I will be sure to ask about their family origins during our pregame discussions!!!!

Goodness gracious!!!
What is the problem with discussing this? I have comments made to me all the time about my race and jokes made about my race. Not necessarily in a negative way, but there is a person in the State that I live that has the exact same first and last initials as mine but is white. So when people see our names on a contract, they think they are working with one or the other. And because my name is not a sterotypical African-American last name, many people are surpised that I am Black. So I have to deal with it almost every day, why can we not discuss it here?

And if you have ever done a game with an All-Black team and an All-white team and the officials are all of one color of one of the teams, you will have to deal with it then. I did a game in the North Central Illinois Conference (home team and all-white) and a Chicago Public League team (visiting team and all-Black team about an hour away from Chicago), you tell me that political considerations was not a factor. Well it was and how it was would surprise you.

Peace