View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 12:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down What I am about to say is not personal at all.

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
I think we need to be mindful of other people's race, I am wondering how many African American officials may have felt that when describing Ted Valentine Rut could have been more professional. Just out of consideration for African Americans I would have liked to see him choose his words a little better. I am not saying he meant any harm in his description of Ted Valentine,I just feel he is respected by other officials on this website and I would hate to have him loose the respect from fellow African American officials.
Love and Respect!
Love,

I am an educated man. I have a mother who has a Ph.D in Sociology and was the first African-American Chairperson at the University that she still works at. So my understanding of race is very well in hand. I am Black first, African-American second. For your information, Black is my race, African-American is my ethnicity. There is a huge difference. You can look at me and tell the I am Black, but not know that I am African-American. The only thing that makes me African-American is where I was born and where I where I claim citizenship. I know enough Black people that would not claim being African-American at all. And since I know little about exactly where Teddy Valintine was born or what his origin lies, it would be hard for me to just say that he is an African-American. It would be a good bet that he is, but considering that I do not know that for sure, he was the only Black person on the court.

I understand that we have gotten so caught up in the PC era that we have lost our good thinking, but there is a big difference between someone's race and someone's ethnicity. Race is the physical color that someone is. Black, white or yellow. I would give the educated terms but I did not read that much in my African American Minor in college . I can be Black and be Nigerian or Canadian or Cuban. But if I a Cuban-American or British-American and you not know my race. Technically you can have African-Americans and they be physically white. Not all Africans are Black.

The problem with being PC we have become Politically Stupid in the process. And that is why I am responding to you. You are so worried about offending someone, you do not realize that it would be hard to be an insult from someone that is "probably" no different than I am.

Not personal but had to set the record straight.

Peace