The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Is it worth it???

This may be in the wrong area...but I'm just wondering...I've been considering purchasing a membership to officiating.com, but am wondering if it's worth it if I only officiate basketball. Are there any other online sites that offer training material and are a membership site? I LOVE these posting boards, but was just wondering how many of you belong to an online site, or do you find that the association that you're in along with this board is enough? I'm a youth pastor and won't be pushing to move up in the ranks (my time is somewhat limited), but I do want to improve and get more varsity games in the future. Been around the game for 17 years or so...officiated for about 7, played for four, coached for four...loved the game the rest of the time. Anyway...thanks for your posts!
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
This may be in the wrong area...but I'm just wondering...I've been considering purchasing a membership to officiating.com, but am wondering if it's worth it if I only officiate basketball. Are there any other online sites that offer training material and are a membership site? I LOVE these posting boards, but was just wondering how many of you belong to an online site, or do you find that the association that you're in along with this board is enough? I'm a youth pastor and won't be pushing to move up in the ranks (my time is somewhat limited), but I do want to improve and get more varsity games in the future. Been around the game for 17 years or so...officiated for about 7, played for four, coached for four...loved the game the rest of the time. Anyway...thanks for your posts!

Well, I think it's a really good investment, but then I write for them so for me to recommend it is a little self-serving, I suppose. On the other hand, the reason I started writing was so that there would be stuff for folks at just the level you're talking about, and it wouldn't just be the same old cant from the big dogs who don't remember what it's like. You know, "Just keep working hard." "Always listen to what your mentor says" and so on. It may be true, but it's isn't always very helpful or informative.

I would suggest subscribing for at least the first year, and then see what you think. That first year is definitely worth it, since you'll have access to the enrtire archive of what's been printed in the past. Match that, Referee Magazine!

And there'll be a great series starting about mid-September about gearing up for the season, with references back to various things from the archive. Great series, since I'll be writing it!

After you've checked it all out, and if you still have some suggestions or want to see a certain topic covered, be sure and let me know, or contact the editor directly. We always want to know what readers want to read!
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Since they publish a couple new articles every weekday, you'll get an order of magnitude more basketball content at Officiating.com than you'll get in a year's subscription to Referee magazine. And it's good content, ranging in target audience from newbie up through early college. And as Juulie mentioned, all of their past content is available in their archive. You can even pose questions back to the authors.

What you won't get at officiating.com is current news, any kind of discernible editorial calendar, the warm and fuzzy feeling that they're hooked up with the NFHS, and most especially the insurance you would get by joining NASO (which includes a subscription to Referee Magazine).

But...at the end of the day, neither costs more than game fee or two. So why choose? Do both.

PS. If you're really torn, maybe this will help you decide: Juulie badly needs a raise, and your subscription to officiating.com may help!
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 09:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
What you won't get at officiating.com is current news, any kind of discernible editorial calendar, the warm and fuzzy feeling that they're hooked up with the NFHS, and most especially the insurance you would get by joining NASO (which includes a subscription to Referee Magazine).
What you also won't get imo is as much actual officiating knowledge as is available free on this forum.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
What you also won't get imo is as much actual officiating knowledge as is available free on this forum.
So how come you don't write? (I know, I know....)

Also, you forgot to mention that the paid side doesn't include wading through all the trolls that you have to deal with here.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 03:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Also, you forgot to mention that the paid side doesn't include wading through all the trolls that you have to deal with here.
Oh?
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I totally agree -- to an extent. What you get from the forum is a lot of imformed and sometimes varied answers to specific questions. So if you're looking for help on a specific rule or mechanic, this is probably your best resource. What the magazines do, that the forum doesn't, is to take a topic and develop it from start to finish. The forum doesn't do that very well at all.

But perhaps the most damning shortfall of the magazines is the complete absence of that squirrel!
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
What the magazines do, that the forum doesn't, is to take a topic and develop it from start to finish. The forum doesn't do that very well at all.
I seen a few articles in the magazine that didn't develop anything very well from start to finish either imo. I've seen things written that I completely disagreed with.

It all depends what you want to get out of the information available. Jmo, but there are quite a few people posting on this and other forums who are very knowledgeable about officiating. Personally, I find it easier to learn and keep current coming here.

Jmo, realizing that this site does have to pay it's bills also.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I seen a few articles in the magazine that didn't develop anything very well from start to finish either imo. I've seen things written that I completely disagreed with.
None of the options is all that and a bag of chips. Many posts here contain nothing more than (mild) comedic value, sensless bickering, political opinions, or pointless disclaimers of the "it may be different in your area" variety. But there is much that is of worth. And as for disagreeing with the content, I would think you disagree with a lot more of what's said here. And for good reason. The forum is completely unvetted. We'll allow anybody to post darn near anything, with nobody to do even rudimentary fact checking. The forum is definitely caveat emptor. I think it's fair and accurate to say that there is way more inaccurate and useless content here in a week than there is in both magazines combined for a year.

I stand by my statement. The magazines do a better job of developing an idea and presenting it from start to finish. The forum is better at answering questions. Both approaches have value.

Quote:
It all depends what you want to get out of the information available. Jmo, but there are quite a few people posting on this and other forums who are very knowledgeable about officiating. Personally, I find it easier to learn and keep current coming here.
I wouldn't disagree with this. I have, on several occasions, made my feelings about the value of the forum and the community here well known. I find the magazines have value too.

[edited to remove some unintended harshness from my response]

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Thu Aug 30, 2007 at 11:10am.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 11:34am
Do not give a damn!!

The problem I have with the paid site (if you want to call that a problem) is I do not like the credentials of most writers. My opinion is not limited to the basketball side. I just would like to read from officials that have a little more background in their particular sports. That does not mean that those who are there do not do their job well. Just like anything when you go to a camp you do not expect to see clinicians that have not accomplished the same things that you have. With all the things you can say about another magazine, you always get information from very accomplished officials. Not sure that is the same thing on this site. This might have also changed over the past years. When I was considering joining this was the case.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
And as for disagreeing with the content, I would think you disagree with a lot more of what's said here. And for good reason. The forum is completely unvetted. We'll allow anybody to post darn near anything, with nobody to do even rudimentary fact checking. The forum is definitely caveat emptor.
But the forum has something that no print media has: an immediate feedback loop which is just as unvetted and mostly uncensored. So if JR says something stupid he'll be immediately called on it. JR can write an article for a magazine and never have to publicly respond to his critics.

As for the off-topic, semi-humorous BS and predictable sniping you see here? Lighten up is all I can say. It's all part of human interaction.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 11:47am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Many posts here contain nothing more than (mild) comedic value
HEY! What do you mean mild? I think the "comedic posts" here are at least Morey Amsterdam level.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Thu Aug 30, 2007 at 11:52am.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
HEY! What do you mean mild? I think the "comedic posts" here are at least Morey Amsterdam level.
I think he was mostly talking about you...you know, somewhere between recent Chevy Chase funny and any Pauly Shore funny

Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 12:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I think he was mostly talking about you...you know, somewhere between recent Chevy Chase funny and any Pauly Shore funny
The term "Pauly Shore funny" is an oxymoron - mostly "moron".
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
The term "Pauly Shore funny" is an oxymoron - mostly "moron".