View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
This may be in the wrong area...but I'm just wondering...I've been considering purchasing a membership to officiating.com, but am wondering if it's worth it if I only officiate basketball. Are there any other online sites that offer training material and are a membership site? I LOVE these posting boards, but was just wondering how many of you belong to an online site, or do you find that the association that you're in along with this board is enough? I'm a youth pastor and won't be pushing to move up in the ranks (my time is somewhat limited), but I do want to improve and get more varsity games in the future. Been around the game for 17 years or so...officiated for about 7, played for four, coached for four...loved the game the rest of the time. Anyway...thanks for your posts!

Well, I think it's a really good investment, but then I write for them so for me to recommend it is a little self-serving, I suppose. On the other hand, the reason I started writing was so that there would be stuff for folks at just the level you're talking about, and it wouldn't just be the same old cant from the big dogs who don't remember what it's like. You know, "Just keep working hard." "Always listen to what your mentor says" and so on. It may be true, but it's isn't always very helpful or informative.

I would suggest subscribing for at least the first year, and then see what you think. That first year is definitely worth it, since you'll have access to the enrtire archive of what's been printed in the past. Match that, Referee Magazine!

And there'll be a great series starting about mid-September about gearing up for the season, with references back to various things from the archive. Great series, since I'll be writing it!

After you've checked it all out, and if you still have some suggestions or want to see a certain topic covered, be sure and let me know, or contact the editor directly. We always want to know what readers want to read!