The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Rookie Here..Need Advice

hey guys..I'm a rookie at basketball officiating and to this forum. Here's my dilemma: I've done a little officiating the past two years, all of it has been at a youth basketball league sponsored by a local church. My first few games, I was beyond AWFUL. The past season I really felt like I developed enough to try officiating on a middle school or even JV level. I've done all the research about certification here in Kentucky. I've sent my application in, now I'm waiting for my study guides so I can take the test. There is a mandatory rules clinic that all refs have to attend this September and October. The only problem is, I was talking to guy that I work with who has been officiating for around ten years. He was saying that the assigning secretary only provides refs for varsity games. So, in other words, newbies like me would have to get in touch with schools individually just for work on the Middle school/Jv level. I'm a little deflated by this, as I was hoping I could get just a little mentoring before I start out. I guess you could say I'm a little unclear as to what I need to do after doing the paperwork and attending the rules meetings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkersey
hey guys..I'm a rookie at basketball officiating and to this forum. Here's my dilemma: I've done a little officiating the past two years, all of it has been at a youth basketball league sponsored by a local church. My first few games, I was beyond AWFUL. The past season I really felt like I developed enough to try officiating on a middle school or even JV level. I've done all the research about certification here in Kentucky. I've sent my application in, now I'm waiting for my study guides so I can take the test. There is a mandatory rules clinic that all refs have to attend this September and October. The only problem is, I was talking to guy that I work with who has been officiating for around ten years. He was saying that the assigning secretary only provides refs for varsity games. So, in other words, newbies like me would have to get in touch with schools individually just for work on the Middle school/Jv level. I'm a little deflated by this, as I was hoping I could get just a little mentoring before I start out. I guess you could say I'm a little unclear as to what I need to do after doing the paperwork and attending the rules meetings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
rbkersey,

Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest that you get in contact with the local assignor anyway. Tell him that you feel that you're ready for Middle School games but that you eventually want to work HS games. In my experience, assignors enjoy helping out the officials who are just getting started. He'll probably tell you how the "whole system" works and give you all the info you need. Good luck.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your reply..this same person I spoke to said I would probably only get a few games the first year. Is this true? I'm hoping it's an exaggeration..I want plenty of time on court.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Thanks for your reply..this same person I spoke to said I would probably only get a few games the first year. Is this true? I'm hoping it's an exaggeration..I want plenty of time on court.
Around here (Portland Oregon), almost no ball is assigned by the schools themselves. So take what I say with a heaping tablespoon of salt.

But I'd be willing to bet there's a ref around you somewhere that would more than willing to take you on as a partner and have you go and work with him, introduce you to some school folks, even if only for the first few weeks of the season. Ask the HS assignor for some suggestions. Or there may be some sort of association for that purpose that the HS assignor knows about, too.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in my 3rd year and I got connected by joining the local officials association. The top 2 assignors for our region chair our chapter. I attended all the meetings, spent time with these guys and also asked other officials to make recommendations. It finally worked and this year I've picked up 26 Freshman & JV games. I also began preparing by officiating at ton of HS this past summer...that really helped my confidence, prepared me for the speed and level of emotion at the HS ranks...do some fall HS ball if possible.

Now I'm not certified yet for 3-man top-level HS games, but that's next year or beyond...I've only attended one 3-man clinic. To get into the top level assignments you've got to pay your dues, get some good ratings and show people you're committed. That said, the HS AD's also choose officials and make recommendations. I know most within our district but I've only approached one...nothing came of it and in my opinion will not unless you come highly recommended by someone they trust.

I also told the assignor that I would officiate anything...starting at 4:00 - on. Fortunately they really need officials for the early games so that was my way to get started.

Get connected, learn and take anything they give you. The people on this forum are the best and will give you a ton more insight than I can.

Best of luck!
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

In Indiana we get our own games at all levels. We contact the schools or they contact us.

There are a few schools who have hired assigners themselves and then it can become a matter of experience, being in the right place at the right, or who you know. However, none of the assigners have any influence over who gets assigned to the state tournaments.

Getting a partner will help get games at the lower levels. Don't necessarily settle on one, but if there are three or four of you want to work together and move up that is what I would suggest. It is always nice to have others you work with in case an emergency comes up and you need to get someone to take your place. Also, AD's prefer to have two guys who know each other, although it isn't necessary. When one phone call or email fills a game that is a good feeling to the AD!

When schools start up in a few weeks, go introduce yourself to some AD's in your area and tell them that you are starting out, tell them what you've done, and go from there. Ask them if they prefer phone calls or emails to communicate and ask them when they normally do there schduling (some do it in the fall, during the seasons, or after the season). Follow up at the appropriate time. I'm guessing you will be able to work as much JH/Fr/JV as you want.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Probably not an exageration. Only getting a very few games was one of the most disappointing things my first season. But there are some things you can do.

The first is to stick with it. If you're any good, the second year you'll have more, and even more the third. Decide right now that you're in this for the long haul, that you will "pay your dues," and it'll be easier to have patience.

The second is to get seen by the right people. Assigners will give games to a mediocre official that they do know before they give anything to an official they don't know. So find out who needs to see you to "get on the list" and do what you can to make sure they do.

Third, be available. My first year my assigner was always on IM during the day. I'd check in with him a couple of times a week to see if he needed somebody. I'd keep my bag packed and in the car so I could go anywhere at a moments notice. Other assigners work differently, but if he knows you can and will cover him on short notice, you'll get some games.

The details of how to do all this successfully where you work will be different than they were for me. So find an official in your area who you can talk to about how it works there. But those three basic principles — be patient, get seen, be available — are pretty universal.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 09:39am
Ch1town

In addition to all the other good advice, I'd say work as many freebie HS pre-season scrimmages as possible. A great way to start paying some dues...
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 10:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Until you actually follow the advice given to you, there is no way of knowing what your schedule will look like. Also understand that this is probably just one person's opinion. It does not mean that you cannot get more games if you are willing to do some extra things like travel further away or working multiple games on a single day. I really think this is something that is more of a case by case basis. Until you actually contact the schools you have no idea what is possible. Also I am sure there are officials that can help you out in contacting those schools and getting more opportunities that you never would think of on your own. Also do not limit your games to just HS games. If I were you I would continue to work the same youth ball that you had previously worked. After all officiating is ultimately about reps and seeing things over and over again. I would continue to work all levels until you get to a point where you can dictate some of your schedule or you are receiving higher level games. When I was just staring out I worked any game I could get my hands on. That also helped me decide what I wanted to do more of in the future.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Until you actually follow the advice given to you, there is no way of knowing what your schedule will look like. Also understand that this is probably just one person's opinion. It does not mean that you cannot get more games if you are willing to do some extra things like travel further away or working multiple games on a single day. I really think this is something that is more of a case by case basis. Until you actually contact the schools you have no idea what is possible. Also I am sure there are officials that can help you out in contacting those schools and getting more opportunities that you never would think of on your own. Also do not limit your games to just HS games. If I were you I would continue to work the same youth ball that you had previously worked. After all officiating is ultimately about reps and seeing things over and over again. I would continue to work all levels until you get to a point where you can dictate some of your schedule or you are receiving higher level games. When I was just staring out I worked any game I could get my hands on. That also helped me decide what I wanted to do more of in the future.

Peace

I plan on doing the youth league this year, maybe even picking up some Optimist League games as well. Given my skill level and experience, I really don't expect varsity games anytime soon. I would think that my experience year will be youth league, middle school or even elementary schools.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 12:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I plan on doing the youth league this year, maybe even picking up some Optimist League games as well. Given my skill level and experience, I really don't expect varsity games anytime soon. I would think that my experience year will be youth league, middle school or even elementary schools.
Depending on your area there are many other levels of HS ball. Many times there is freshman A and B, sophomore A and B and JV games. There are plenty of lower level HS games to go around. It is not about working HS Varsity. When I started I only wanted to work youth or middle school games when I did not have a HS opportunity. Youth ball is great but if your goals are far beyond those levels I would concentrate on HS ball as much as possible.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 12:38pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I plan on doing the youth league this year, maybe even picking up some Optimist League games as well.
Given the movie choices this summer, they might consider calling it the Optimist Prime League!

Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Given the movie choices this summer, they might consider calling it the Optimist Prime League!

Go ahead - give him a T.

I dare 'ya.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 02:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
How are you going to get Optimist League games with that attitude?
It's the same attitude that's going to keep LeBron James from winning a Super Bowl.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
How are you going to get Optimist League games with that attitude?
It's the same attitude that's going to keep LeBron James from winning a Super Bowl.
And the same attitude that kept Walter Payton from ever winning a World Series.

(Used with permission.)