The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Question Historical rules question

I stumbled across a little historical nugget from the NFHS Basketball Handbook. According to the Chronology of Basketball Rules, in 1990 this change was made: Procedure adopted when teams, by mistake, go the wrong direction

Do you recall any specifics on this?

Was this adopted procedure to simply switch baskets and go on, like it is now?

What was done before the procedure was adopted? Did they restart the game going the proper direction? Did they just keep going the direction they started? Did it result in a correctible error situation?

Or am I misreading this and it means something else entirely?
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I stumbled across a little historical nugget from the NFHS Basketball Handbook. According to the Chronology of Basketball Rules, in 1990 this change was made: Procedure adopted when teams, by mistake, go the wrong direction

What was done before the procedure was adopted? Did they restart the game going the proper direction? Did they just keep going the direction they started? Did it result in a correctible error situation?

The next time I speak with Dr. Naismith, I'll ask him.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

This may about been the time where teams had to go opposite their bench to start the game.

Use to be that the visitors had the choice which end they wanted to start the game.

This was always fun when once in a while a team would warm up on their bench end. Out would come the home team and run around the court and they looked a bit lost because the end they always warmed up on was occupied.

To answer your question about what the procedure was I don't know.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler14
This may about been the time where teams had to go opposite their bench to start the game.

Use to be that the visitors had the choice which end they wanted to start the game.

This was always fun when once in a while a team would warm up on their bench end. Out would come the home team and run around the court and they looked a bit lost because the end they always warmed up on was occupied.

To answer your question about what the procedure was I don't know.
Correct. That change was made in 1992.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I assume that'll be the next time you go off your meds?
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... in 1990 this change was made: ...
How should I know? I was just a freshman in HS!

Quote:
Did it result in a correctible error situation?

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Jul 18, 2007 at 12:22am.
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You mean similar to this? (Is this an NBA "do-over"?)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bTkIhGvSSXI
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 07:54am
Administrator

Quote:

BITS:

It is too early in the morning for me to climb up into the attic to get out my old rules books, but here is the answer to your question.

I cannot remember when the change was made but the rules use to state that the visiting team had the choice of basket to start the game. But the procedure about which you are asking is not about that rule change.

Prior to the rule change sometime in the late 1980's or early 1990's (early 90's is probably a better guess), if the teams either lined up in the wrong direction or even if they did line in correct direction but ended up going in the wrong direction and the officials did not immediately discover it, when the officials finally discovered that the team's were going in the wrong direction, the officials were to have the teams change to the correct directions AND all of the points scored by Team V in Team A's basket would be awarded to Team A and all of the points scored by Team A in Team V's basket would awarded to Team V. Mean if the the score was H: 20 and V: 10, when the officials discovered the mistake the score would become H: 10 and V: 20.

Now the score would stay H: 20 and V:10, and the officials would have the teams go in the correct direction for the rest of the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
BITS:

It is too early in the morning for me to climb up into the attic to get out my old rules books, but here is the answer to your question.

I cannot remember when the change was made but the rules use to state that the visiting team had the choice of basket to start the game. But the procedure about which you are asking is not about that rule change.

Prior to the rule change sometime in the late 1980's or early 1990's (early 90's is probably a better guess), if the teams either lined up in the wrong direction or even if they did line in correct direction but ended up going in the wrong direction and the officials did not immediately discover it, when the officials finally discovered that the team's were going in the wrong direction, the officials were to have the teams change to the correct directions AND all of the points scored by Team V in Team A's basket would be awarded to Team A and all of the points scored by Team A in Team V's basket would awarded to Team V. Mean if the the score was H: 20 and V: 10, when the officials discovered the mistake the score would become H: 10 and V: 20.

Now the score would stay H: 20 and V:10, and the officials would have the teams go in the correct direction for the rest of the game.

MTD, Sr.
Thank you very much!
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 12:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
I assume that'll be the next time you go off your meds?
No, it just means that I'll speak with him if I decide he's the one I choose to speak to next from all the other people that live inside my head.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Wed Jul 18, 2007 at 12:07pm.
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I sat next to him the other night. Elvis and Yeti were sitting across from us on the UFO.

I didn't really talk to him, though. He kept complaining about FIBA rules ruining his game, so I couldn't get a word in.
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 01:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I sat next to him the other night. Elvis and Yeti were sitting across from us on the UFO.

I didn't really talk to him, though. He kept complaining about FIBA rules ruining his game, so I couldn't get a word in.
I've heard he's a big cry baby at those gatherings. Well, that's what the NBA players tell me anyway.
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 02:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins

Imagine how he feels about Canada adopting FEEBLE rules and him being the Canadian who invented the game!

I hope he complains to Jimmy Hoffa about it!
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 09:16pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
No, it just means that I'll speak with him if I decide he's the one I choose to speak to next from all the other people that live inside my head.
I probably don't need to ask, but I will anyway. Is Jon Diebler one of those people?
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 10:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I probably don't need to ask, but I will anyway. Is Jon Diebler one of those people?
He's such a great guy - he's TWO of them!