The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 07, 2002, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

I dont have a LL Rulebook and therefore I am looking for help on a situation.

I assign officials and had to fill in for a Little League game last week. The visiting team was leading 5-3 at the end of the 4th with threating clouds of rain and thunder in the distance. The home team got up to bat and scored 11 runs. With one out, I stopped the game because of the weather and within ten minutes had to end the game completely. During the time the home team was at bat I kept thinking to myself that if I was this coach I would be getting some outs here because if the game ends, the score would revert back to the last inning and the visitors would win.

Before I left the field the coaches both asked me to sign the book and I did, noting that the score reverted back to the 4th where the visitor were winning. I followed up with the league and they stated that LL rules have changed and state that if the home team is wiining when the is stopped prior to the completion of the inning, then they are the declared winers.

This is a new one on me and not having a book in hand its been difficult to verify. Help. Are there any internet site where the complete rules have been placed? I cant find them.
Old Fri Jun 07, 2002, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

First I've heard of it. My understanding is that the score reverts to the last completed inning. We had this come up several times this year on account of darkness in our league and it was always played this way.
Old Fri Jun 07, 2002, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

As far back as I remember, and that's a LONG time, if the HOME team is ahead, the score stands, If the VISITORS are ahead, the score reverts. Any other way makes no sense.

Bob
Old Fri Jun 07, 2002, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
The visiting team was leading 5-3 at the end of the 4th with threating clouds of rain and thunder in the distance. The home team got up to bat and scored 11 runs. With one out, I stopped the game because of the weather
So, you stopped the game with the home team ahead 14-5 in the bottom of the fourth? If it's a six inning game, it is regulation, it is complete, and the home team has won 14-5.

Quote:
During the time the home team was at bat I kept thinking to myself that if I was this coach I would be getting some outs here because if the game ends, the score would revert back to the last inning and the visitors would win.
No, no. The score would only have reverted back if the visitors had either tied the score or taken the lead in the top of the fourth, and the home team had not tied the score or taken the lead in the bottom of the incomplete fourth. Since the home team took the lead in the bottom of the fourth, you do not revert the score.

Quote:
I followed up with the league and they stated that LL rules have changed and state that if the home team is wiining when the is stopped prior to the completion of the inning, then they are the declared winers.
Perhaps it was a gentle way to let you down, rather than to tell you that you erred. The LL rule has not changed. However, in Major League Baseball, the rule has changed. There is no reverting back in pro ball anymore.

Quote:
This is a new one on me and not having a book in hand its been difficult to verify. Help. Are there any internet site where the complete rules have been placed? I cant find them.
You won't find the rules on-line legally anywhere. Sorry.
Old Fri Jun 07, 2002, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

I apologize after haveing reread the thread. Mabey I was not as clear as I thought.

The 4th inning ends. The visitors are winning 5-3.

Th 5th inning begins and after a 1/2 inning the visitors are still winning 5-3. The bottom of the 5th now comes up and the home team bats and scores 11 runs however, the inning is not completed due to weather. It ends with one out.

Are you still saying the home team won?
Old Fri Jun 07, 2002, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
I apologize after haveing reread the thread. Mabey I was not as clear as I thought.

The 4th inning ends. The visitors are winning 5-3.

Th 5th inning begins and after a 1/2 inning the visitors are still winning 5-3. The bottom of the 5th now comes up and the home team bats and scores 11 runs however, the inning is not completed due to weather. It ends with one out.

Are you still saying the home team won?
Yes. Even if it was the bottom of the fifth, the home team won.

Both sides get a fair number of at-bats. The home team always gets to bat last. If the home team takes the lead before the game ends, and it is regulation, then the home team has won. There would be no reverting back.

The reason you revert back when applicable is because the home team did not get their fair number of at-bats. You revert back to an inning when the home team did get its fair number of at-bats.

In your situation, the home team got to bat but they did not get all their outs. But since they took the lead and did not need all their outs it is irrelevant. Home team wins 14-5.
Old Fri Jun 07, 2002, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thankyou. I thought that if it wasnt the final inning, but still regulation, the inning had to be completed. Three outs. Thats whats amazing about this game, you just keeping learning.