The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Sure you do! We're in triple overtime last night , and player A1 goes flying after a loose ball. He's in the air falling OOB, and he requests the TO. I grant it. Coach B goes nuckin' futs saying all sorts of things (I thought of Mark and his howler monkeys. He may have a point.....).

Anyway, he kindly asks me after the game ended (in the 4th overtime, mind you) to review the play so that it wouldn't happen again. I told him I was going to do that anyway, and was off the floor.

Well sure enough case book 5.8.3D is a pretty good situation, and the rule book states a timeout is granted to a player who is in control. I'd assume that just because you're airborn doesn't mean you're not in control! Can someone please nod their head yes that I made the right call?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I believe that you are right. A team is in control when a player has the ball and when it is being passed between teammates. If the player had the ball as he was going out of bounds and requested a time-out (remember that only an official can call a time-out) I too would have granted the request. It was a good play on the part of the player and he should be rewarded, especially since it was legal.

Does everyone else agree with me?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, see 10.7.8 situation (c).
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

[Nods]
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Am I missing something here? My rule book (2001-2002) only goes up to 10-6.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Anything in the tens is fouls (remember, folks, only ten rules in basketball!), so it would not be germane to this topic.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

just messin with ya, good call.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Right call

You see this all the time in NCAA, and the player 99% of the time gets the TO.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Good job to grant the TO in that situation. I had a very similar play last night. Player was not airborne, but was off-balance and thought he was going to fall OOB, so he requested the TO. I granted it.

The coach's confusion probably stems from the fact that the NBA changed its rule about 3 years ago, so that a player may not be granted a TO if he is about to go OOB.

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim Armstrong
From the way you describe the situation, you were exactly right. NFHS Rules Review Video that I have, shows exactly the same situation. A1 goes after a loose ball, grabs it, jumps in the air as he is going oob, and requests a TO which is granted by the Ref on the video. Legal play.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Cool

As long as the player was in control of the ball, grant the timeout.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

I see this coach again next Friday. He's usually a pretty cool customer, and I was suprised at his outburst last night. Maybe he just didn't know the rule (imagine that ), and took exception.

Now lemme ask this one: do I bring this up in a friendly manner before the game when we're greeting coaches and say "Oh, by the way, I looked up that OOB issue and found that...." Or should I just attempt to let sleeping dogs lie?

Do I gain anything by telling him? Do I lose anything by not telling him?
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 12:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
I see this coach again next Friday. He's usually a pretty cool customer, and I was suprised at his outburst last night. Maybe he just didn't know the rule (imagine that ), and took exception.

Now lemme ask this one: do I bring this up in a friendly manner before the game when we're greeting coaches and say "Oh, by the way, I looked up that OOB issue and found that...." Or should I just attempt to let sleeping dogs lie?

Remain silent, unless he brings it up. After all, you were correct, so there's nothing to explain. You have no obligation to defend a call. The coach has the obligation to prove you wrong, not the other way around.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp

My experience is that coaches don't really want to know. They want you to look it up for your own benefit, not theirs. If he asks, definitely describe the whole thing politely. Especially the part about the NBA having a different rule. I think NBA games should run a little crawler across the screen periodically that says, "Rules in the NBA bear little relation to any other basketball, and should not be used as reference in non-NBA situations."
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I agree with rainmaker the coaches don't care about knowing. They just like to bring it up so you will look it up. They don't have the capacity to remember.